Cowboys’ New All-Time Sack Champions

NickZepp

Reaction score
From 1994-1996 (you can't search individual plays easily before that), Haley had 24 sacks as a Cowboy. One (1) of them came in the 4th quarter of a close game. He did have the sack-fumble in the Super Bowl, of course, but in a game that ended 52-17, I suppose we could argue about how big a play that was. He had one sack total in the 1994-1996 postseasons.
He was injured and missed the first 2 games of the 95 playoffs. Had a sack in the super bowl though. He only played in 5 games in 96. So you basically are talking about 3 games.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was injured and missed the first 2 games of the 95 playoffs. Had a sack in the super bowl though. He only played in 5 games in 96. So you basically are talking about 3 games.
Yeah, there's not a lot of data there. He had 1 sack in the 1992 postseason (that one in the SB) and 1.5 in the 1993 postseason (3 games). My point is simply that there's not a lot of support for the idea that he turned it up a notch and dominated in big moments or big games (more than at other times).

Last edited:

NickZepp

Reaction score
Let's see 1993 Haley early in the 4th had a sack fumble on Young that gave the 49ers more yards but he was big time that game he had a sack taken away for a false start late in that game and several other pass rushes also. The Cowboys pass rushers were in Steve Youngs grill all day. In the Super Bowl he had a sack right after the fumble recovery by James Washington for a TD that set the tone that half. The Cowboys dominated after trailing at half time that game.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see 1993 Haley early in the 4th had a sack fumble on Young that gave the 49ers more yards but he was big time that game he had a sack taken away for a false start late in that game and several other pass rushes also. The Cowboys pass rushers were in Steve Youngs grill all day. In the Super Bowl he had a sack right after the fumble recovery by James Washington for a TD that set the tone that half. The Cowboys dominated after trailing at half time that game.
Hey, no doubt Haley was a great player. So was Ware.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Let's see 1993 Haley early in the 4th had a sack fumble on Young that gave the 49ers more yards but he was big time that game he had a sack taken away for a false start late in that game and several other pass rushes also. The Cowboys pass rushers were in Steve Youngs grill all day.

In the Super Bowl right after the fumble recovery for a TD by James Washington on the 3rd down Charles Haley gets a sack(Jeffcoat is credited with half a sack) on the next drive. Emmitt Smith gets like 8 carries the next drive down the field to give Dallas the lead for good.

conner01

Reaction score
Interestingly i recall only ONE big sack that Ware made when it mattered. That sack fumble in the New Orleans game when Romo was playing. Might have been in overtime or at the end of the game to seal the victory. As many sacks as he had, he wasnt a guy that typically turned it on when it mattered most.
I remember his whole career people saying he had meaningless sacks
But no sack is meaningless
45 sacks on 3rd or 4th down tells a different story

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The only real knock on Haley when he got to Dallas was he wasn't healthy. He only played one full season in Dallas. Even in 1995 he missed the last 3 regular season games and first 2 playoff games. Did play a big role in the Super Bowl game though. But as far as impact goes and making big plays and setting the tone for that defense, you are correct. Even though he didn't have the stats for the 92 and 93 seasons he was a big part of that culture change.

The one stat Haley made a household name (thanks to John Madden I believe) was the QB pressure even though I don't think that was an official stat back then.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I remember his whole career people saying he had meaningless sacks
But no sack is meaningless
45 sacks on 3rd or 4th down tells a different story

Everyone is entitled. Ill take Haley. last time I checked they were both Cowboys.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
From 1994-1996 (you can't search individual plays easily before that), Haley had 24 sacks as a Cowboy. One (1) of them came in the 4th quarter of a close game. He did have the sack-fumble in the Super Bowl, of course, but in a game that ended 52-17, I suppose we could argue about how big a play that was. He had one sack total in the 1994-1996 postseasons.

Gotta love the guys that cherry pick stats and years. Haley won 5 SB's. He had more than 1 sack in all those years.

Sack fumble in the SB? SB is a big game last time I checked.

You like Ware better. Good for you. Give me Haley every time.

conner01

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled. Ill take Haley. last time I checked they were both Cowboys.
I like Haley
He was a great player
But the myth of ware never having meaningful sacks is just another myth
Nearly a 3rd of his sacks were on 3rd or 4Th down
Those are extremely impactful sacks

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Recently, Statistic-accumulating website ProFootball-Reference went on the arduous journey of combing through old film and play-by-play scorecards to count all sacks made by defensive players all the way back to 1960.

The reason is because today, only sacks made after the 1982 season are officially acknowledged by the NFL. They haven’t even bothered to research what happened prior to that season. However, since some of the greatest pass rushers who ever lived were at the ends of their careers or outright retired at that point, PFR wanted to rectify the disservice to the older players. For instance:

The greatest season in NFL history, unofficially, was by Arizona Cardinals rookie Al Baker, who amassed 23 sacks in 1978. Strahan’s faux sack of Favre in 2001 never mattered, because it still wasn’t enough. Al Baker started crying when he heard the news.

What won’t come as a surprise to many, Deacon Jones now has monster year after monster year in sack totals on his career stat sheet. He’s third all-time only behind Bruce Smith and the Minister of Defense (unofficially).

But! The meatiest part for you guys: Randy White, Too Tall Jones, Bob Lilly.

Dallas Cowboys all-time Sack Leaders
(career totals may include stats from additional teams)

Name - Sack Total - NFL Rank

Demarcus Ware - 138.5 - 13th
Harvey Martin - 114 - 32nd
Randy White - 111 - 35th
Ed Jones - 106 - 39th
Jim Jeffcoat - 102.5 - 49th
Charles Haley - 100.5 - 52nd
George Andrie - 98.5 - 57th
Jethro Pugh - 96.5 - 63rd
Bob Lilly - 95.5 - 68th

For me, this is incredibly interesting. Hopefully some of you feel as rewarded as I do by their hard work.

Randy White was a DT...... to amass that many sacks at that position is astounding. I would bet 111 sacks would put him #1 in sacks all-time at that position.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Deacon Jones was the NFL leader for five to six consecutive years. Back then, with a different NFL, he averaged about a sack every 28 drop backs. The year Strahan set the individual record, he averaged about one sack every 35 drop backs.

There are many more QB drop backs in today's game, but effectiveness has declined with the changes.

This is a stat that well could be useful in player evaluations now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Haley
He was a great player

He was a great regular season player but tended to fade as the season went on. He didn't have that extra gear like Haley. In spite of his sack totals , DWare will never be thought of with same nostalgic fondness as his predecessors in Dallas b/c the teams he played on won nothing.

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
The one stat Haley made a household name (thanks to John Madden I believe) was the QB pressure even though I don't think that was an official stat back then.
Haley was a very smart player
He set up many of his sacks with what he did on previous downs

aikemirv

Reaction score
Interestingly i recall only ONE big sack that Ware made when it mattered. That sack fumble in the New Orleans game when Romo was playing. Might have been in overtime or at the end of the game to seal the victory. As many sacks as he had, he wasnt a guy that typically turned it on when it mattered most.

That's amazing - only one big sack out of 138. Fans these days suck! Somehow Haley's average of 7.6 per year were all more meaningful than Ware's 12.5 per year!

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gotta love the guys that cherry pick stats and years. Haley won 5 SB's. He had more than 1 sack in all those years.

Sack fumble in the SB? SB is a big game last time I checked.

You like Ware better. Good for you. Give me Haley every time.
"Cherry pick." Hilarious. I looked at their careers (as far as I could). You argued with no evidence.

Ware dominated the Super Bowl he played in. Ware had lots of big late-game sacks through his career. Haley, in the years where the data is available, didn't. Your argument doesn't hold up.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Randy White was a DT...... to amass that many sacks at that position is astounding. I would bet 111 sacks would put him #1 in sacks all-time at that position.

Alan Page of the Vikings is way ahead of him, 148.5. Also Reggie White got a huge number of his sacks at DT as well

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I like Haley
He was a great player
Nearly a 3rd of his sacks were on 3rd or 4Th down
Those are extremely impactful sacks

i guess it all depends what you think impactful means

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's amazing - only one big sack out of 138. Fans these days suck! Somehow Haley's average of 7.6 per year were all more meaningful than Ware's 12.5 per year!
Not all about sack numbers for me. Last time I checked Haley was a cowboy.