Cowboys’ New All-Time Sack Champions

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think QBs were really afraid of haley.

Some of Haley's own teammates were afraid of Haley. Dude was nuts.. as most know he has since been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and has to be on meds most of the time .. He's a pretty cool dude though.. and at his peak a phenomenal player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You wouldn’t believe the biggest nugget they uncovered. Check out this Bombshell:

Purple People Eaters

8th / Alan Page / 1967-1981 / 148.5
18th / Carl Eller / 1964–1979 / 133.5
22nd / Jim Marshall / 1960-1979 / 130.5

Ladies and Gentleman, the greatest D-line of all time.

Good but not the best. The best DL, IMO, was Decon Jones, Merlin Olsen and Rosie Greer or Reggie White, Clyde Simmons and Jerome Brown.

JMO

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alan Page of the Vikings is way ahead of him, 148.5. Also Reggie White got a huge number of his sacks at DT as well

Reggie White was considered mostly as a DE. His spin moves off the edge are what got him most of his sacks.

Alan Page is the greatest statistical DT. I'm still taking Randy White.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
White had 23.5 sacks in the USFL. If you include that with his sacks in the NFL he's at over 220 career sacks. Reggie White was averaging around 20 sacks a year in 86-88 so yeah. Jerome Brown only had over 10 sacks once in his career. Where as White only had less than 10 sacks twice in his career. White was the best pass rusher the league has seen.

Different position.

Are you the poster Fumbduck for another message board?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Recently, Statistic-accumulating website ProFootball-Reference went on the arduous journey of combing through old film and play-by-play scorecards to count all sacks made by defensive players all the way back to 1960.

The reason is because today, only sacks made after the 1982 season are officially acknowledged by the NFL. They haven’t even bothered to research what happened prior to that season. However, since some of the greatest pass rushers who ever lived were at the ends of their careers or outright retired at that point, PFR wanted to rectify the disservice to the older players. For instance:

The greatest season in NFL history, unofficially, was by Arizona Cardinals rookie Al Baker, who amassed 23 sacks in 1978. Strahan’s faux sack of Favre in 2001 never mattered, because it still wasn’t enough. Al Baker started crying when he heard the news.

What won’t come as a surprise to many, Deacon Jones now has monster year after monster year in sack totals on his career stat sheet. He’s third all-time only behind Bruce Smith and the Minister of Defense (unofficially).

But! The meatiest part for you guys: Randy White, Too Tall Jones, Bob Lilly.

Dallas Cowboys all-time Sack Leaders
(career totals may include stats from additional teams)

Name - Sack Total - NFL Rank

Demarcus Ware - 138.5 - 13th
Harvey Martin - 114 - 32nd
Randy White - 111 - 35th
Ed Jones - 106 - 39th
Jim Jeffcoat - 102.5 - 49th
Charles Haley - 100.5 - 52nd
George Andrie - 98.5 - 57th
Jethro Pugh - 96.5 - 63rd
Bob Lilly - 95.5 - 68th

For me, this is incredibly interesting. Hopefully some of you feel as rewarded as I do by their hard work.
whats really amazing about this list is that numbers 2, 3 and 4 played together. Numbers 7, 8 and 9 also played together. DeMarcus was all alone. I dont know if that makes it more impressive or less, but there were so many games in different great periods in Cowboy history where the D line dominated games.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
whats really amazing about this list is that numbers 2, 3 and 4 played together. Numbers 7, 8 and 9 also played together. DeMarcus was all alone. I dont know if that makes it more impressive or less, but there were so many games in different great periods in Cowboy history where the D line dominated games.

It makes it more impressive to me, H Martin was great but teams had so much to deal with on that line that he was going to get his matchups. He won them so thats not taking anything away from him. D. Ware was the focus point of the offense and he would still get loose on them.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Ware was homegrown. I'll take our homegrown guy over his counterparts, simply because he was homegrown.

Opinions vary just like beliefs and I'm just giving all my opinion. I don't need anyone to agree with my opinion for it is my opinion alone.