Cowboys’ New All-Time Sack Champions

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
"Cherry pick." Hilarious. I looked at their careers (as far as I could). You argued with no evidence.

Ware dominated the Super Bowl he played in. Ware had lots of big late-game sacks through his career. Haley, in the years where the data is available, didn't. Your argument doesn't hold up.
I guess you can cry about it if you like. I’ll take Haley.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What's incredible about the sack numbers from yesteryear is that teams passed at literally half the rate they do now. Meaning there were FAR fewer opportunities for guys to even get sacks back then. On the flipside holding was actually illegal back then so defenders didn't have to worry about getting locked onto by a 330 pound dude on the way to the passer.. So I guess it evens out.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
when he didn't have to be the guy

I don't know how much football you have watched.. but in Wade's defense.. the ROLB absolutely is "the guy." The only concession Denver made was that they subbed for Ware more because of his age. But when they needed to get to the QB, Ware was on the field.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

This is a vanilla/chocolate argument. Both were great players.. I think Ware would have been fine on the 90's teams .. Maybe more than fine as he demonstrated in Denver.. and I think Haley's attitude and nastiness would have been great for the 2000s teams. Would it have been enough to put that team over the top? Who knows? But it's a fun thought isn't it?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is a vanilla/chocolate argument. Both were great players.. I think Ware would have been fine on the 90's teams .. Maybe more than fine as he demonstrated in Denver.. and I think Haley's attitude and nastiness would have been great for the 2000s teams. Would it have been enough to put that team over the top? Who knows? But it's a fun thought isn't it?
Love both guys, Haley was that angry leader you want on your defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It would be easier to admit you have no basis for you trashing Ware but just stick to the narrative.......

Like Ware. Like Haley better. Whether that bothers you or not is inconsequential to me.

Plankton

Reaction score
Scary defensive lines to have had Ed Jones, Randy White and Harvey Martin on the same line rushing, as well as George Andrie, Bob Lilly and Jethro Pugh working on the same unit. That's pretty incredible production across three positions on a four man line.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Ware had only one important sack in his career!"
"Actually, Ware had many high-leverage sacks.. Here's the data and here are some examples."
"Every sack of Haley's won a game!"
"Actually, Haley had a much lower rate of high-leverage sacks than Ware. Here's the data."
"You're cherry-picking! You're crying! [huh?] Haley was better!"
"Okay, whatever."

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What won’t come as a surprise to many, Deacon Jones now has monster year after monster year in sack totals on his career stat sheet. He’s third all-time only behind Bruce Smith and the Minister of Defense (unofficially).

Deacon Jones had 3 of the top 9 season sack totals playing only in 14 game seasons. A pass rusher who can arguably compete with the Minister of Defense.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Recently, Statistic-accumulating website ProFootball-Reference went on the arduous journey of combing through old film and play-by-play scorecards to count all sacks made by defensive players all the way back to 1960.

The reason is because today, only sacks made after the 1982 season are officially acknowledged by the NFL. They haven’t even bothered to research what happened prior to that season. However, since some of the greatest pass rushers who ever lived were at the ends of their careers or outright retired at that point, PFR wanted to rectify the disservice to the older players. For instance:

The greatest season in NFL history, unofficially, was by Arizona Cardinals rookie Al Baker, who amassed 23 sacks in 1978. Strahan’s faux sack of Favre in 2001 never mattered, because it still wasn’t enough. Al Baker started crying when he heard the news.

What won’t come as a surprise to many, Deacon Jones now has monster year after monster year in sack totals on his career stat sheet. He’s third all-time only behind Bruce Smith and the Minister of Defense (unofficially).

But! The meatiest part for you guys: Randy White, Too Tall Jones, Bob Lilly.

Dallas Cowboys all-time Sack Leaders
(career totals may include stats from additional teams)

Name - Sack Total - NFL Rank

Demarcus Ware - 138.5 - 13th
Harvey Martin - 114 - 32nd
Randy White - 111 - 35th
Ed Jones - 106 - 39th
Jim Jeffcoat - 102.5 - 49th
Charles Haley - 100.5 - 52nd
George Andrie - 98.5 - 57th
Jethro Pugh - 96.5 - 63rd
Bob Lilly - 95.5 - 68th

For me, this is incredibly interesting. Hopefully some of you feel as rewarded as I do by their hard work.
Im a bit disappointed that Harvey Martin isnt higher. I also thought George Andre would be higher. I think, at least, he had 1 season where it was very hig.

conner01

Reaction score
What's incredible about the sack numbers from yesteryear is that teams passed at literally half the rate they do now. Meaning there were FAR fewer opportunities for guys to even get sacks back then. On the flipside holding was actually illegal back then so defenders didn't have to worry about getting locked onto by a 330 pound dude on the way to the passer.. So I guess it evens out.
That is a good point
In those days teams ran first and passed when they had to
It would be interesting to see the actual opportunities players like deacon jones actually got to rush the passer

terra

Reaction score
That says a lot more about your memory and expectations than it does about Ware.

It's always better to NOT need big plays at the end of the game. You do that by building up leads early, and sacks play a big part in that. Early game sacks always come "when it matters." I want a guy who shows up all game, personally,
One-quarter of Ware's sacks as a Cowboy came in the 4th quarter, which I would think is slightly more than you would expect (in blowouts, either the other team is running all the time by then or you're in a prevent rushing 3, or you're sitting starters, so there are fewer opportunities). And a number of those were critical.
He sacked McNabb on 3rd down at midfield with 1:30 left to preserve a 4-point lead. He sacked Eli at the Dallas 21 in the 4th quarter to keep them from scoring and preserve a 4-point lead. He sacked Warner on 3rd down with less than 2 minutes left in a game the Cowboys trailed by a field goal to give them a chance to come back (which they did). That's just a couple random examples.
You can't educate self taught experts.

terra

Reaction score
Gotta love the guys that cherry pick stats and years. Haley won 5 SB's. He had more than 1 sack in all those years.

Sack fumble in the SB? SB is a big game last time I checked.

You like Ware better. Good for you. Give me Haley every time.
Which is a great reference for Ware.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Like Ware. Like Haley better. Whether that bothers you or not is inconsequential to me.
It does not bother me at all but it is just ridiculous to say he only had 1 sack that mattered-lacks all basis in reality and just fan absurdity.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It does not bother me at all but it is just ridiculous to say he only had 1 sack that mattered-lacks all basis in reality and just fan absurdity.

I'll take Haley and its not close to be honest.

Last edited:

lwehlers

Reaction score
I'll take Haley. He was nasty and he played best when the games meant the most.

Ware was more talented though.
finally the doomsday defense gets credit for all of the sacks that they deserved. also haley had a mean streak that fired up the team when it mattered the most. ware was not a player that fired up the defense in games that mattered the most. ware was a great player it is to bad he did not win more games when he was with the cowboys. at least he will go in the hall of fame as a cowboy. ware and witten will be the next cowboys to go in the ring of honor.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
finally the doomsday defense gets credit for all of the sacks that they deserved. also haley had a mean streak that fired up the team when it mattered the most. ware was not a player that fired up the defense in games that mattered the most. ware was a great player it is to bad he did not win more games when he was with the cowboys. at least he will go in the hall of fame as a cowboy. ware and witten will be the next cowboys to go in the ring of honor.

You put Haleys leadership, nastiness and motor into Wares talent and you have the perfect DE.