Cowboys 2007 Draft

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
1st Round: WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina

Cowboys have a good set of Wide Receivers but their top two guys are getting up there in age and could use a playmaker like Rice for the future. If Rice does decide to come out and if he does last 20+ picks till Dallas selects this pick would make alot of sense.

2nd Round: OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

Ramirez has next level strength and would be able to step in right away and be a dominant force for the run game which the Cowboys are missing right now along that O-line.

3rd Round: CB Jonathon Wade, Tennessee

Not a typical Bill Parcells pick but if Wade could improve his open field tackling and become more physical this pick would make all the sense in the world. Wade has killer speed and great measurables and wouldnt be needed to step in right away and start for the Cowboys.

4th Round: QB Jordan Palmer, UTEP

Palmer has a big arm and decent mobility but will need to limit his bad throws and bad decisions if he wants to become a starter in the NFL. Throws alot of interceptions but that can be fixed with good coaching. You have to love his size 6'5 235.

5th Round: FS Dashon Goldson, Washington

I know what alot of you are thinking, "We dont need another Free Safety" Well you may be right but Pat Watkins has been average at best and has been beat deep a few times. He may pan out he may not. But Goldson is a solid prospect who has really good speed and can play both Cornerback and Free Safety which is great to have for depth.

6th Round: OLB Keyunta Dawson, Texas Tech

Big Strong Linebacker on the strongside that can get to the quarterback on a consistant basis. Dawson would be a great fit for the Dallas 3-4 defense.

7th Round:
OT Mario Henderson, Florida State

6'7, 304 Lbs... Henderson has good strength and size, but does he have quick enough feet to handle the NFL pass rushers and more importantly the pass rushers of the NFC East. Project player that has some good upside.

What do you guys think? I did the mock kind of based off BP drafting tendencies and our draft needs. I really dont see us drafting a QB in the first round because outside of Quinn there isnt any other QB worth taking in the first. Jordan Palmer is a solid pro prospect.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
you are joking right? this early...no juniors declared yet. no draft grades...

if you would have listed draft need and ranked their importance it would have been better. you don't even know what spot we are going to pick at.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Who the hell is Sidney Rice?

I will go postal if we draft him in the first round.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Does it look like im Joking. Just something different than all the typical talk around here lately. And I have a good feeling of where we will draft, and its definately not in the top 10. All these players are pretty much projected around those spots. You dont need draft grades and all that other stuff to make a simple mock...

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1120585 said:
Who the hell is Sidney Rice?

I will go postal if we draft him in the first round.

6-3, 200-pounds. He still needs some polish, but he's still one of the nation's top receivers and a top-flight pro prospect. He had over 1,100 receiving yards last year along with 13 TDs. Great for the Jump ball and makes alot of clutch catches.
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ;1120590 said:
6-3, 200-pounds. He still needs some polish, but he's still one of the nation's top receivers and a top-flight pro prospect. He had over 1,100 receiving yards last year along with 13 TDs. Great for the Jump ball and makes alot of clutch catches.

I just looked him up, somewhere near 50 overall in recieving yards and his longest reception is 46 yards. Seeing as his big games have been against Wofford and Florida Atlantic (5 of his 6 TD's against Florida Atlantic), I say no way this guy is a 1st rounder, he might not even be a day 1 pick.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1120597 said:
I just looked him up, somewhere near 50 overall in recieving yards and his longest reception is 46 yards. Seeing as his big games have been against Wofford and Florida Atlantic (5 of his 6 TD's against Florida Atlantic), I say no way this guy is a 1st rounder, he might not even be a day 1 pick.

Well he has a Quarterback similar to Reggie Ball that throws to him lol. In this case his stats are watered down thanks to ****ty QB play. Stats dont mean alot at the college level. Just check out a South Carolina game or check for clips of him on youtube.com if they still have them up. He is definately a day 1 pick and would be a first round pick in my books. Although his stock has slipped a bit, not sure why.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TwoSteppinJJ;1120573 said:
2nd Round: OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

Ramirez has next level strength and would be able to step in right away and be a dominant force for the run game which the Cowboys are missing right now along that O-line.
Well our run blocking seems to be OK it is the pass blocking we have trouble with. And that FS you want us to draft, Watkins is our FS. He is a rookie and only started a handful of games. He will make mistakes. And that WR in the first round, is he even considered a first round talent?

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
Jordan Palmer falling all the way to the 4th is a stretch, IMO.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I'd be very happy with Jordan Palmer, but I'm pretty sure he'll go before the 4th. I'm guessing he'll go from late 1st to 2nd round, but we'll see.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1120604 said:
Well our run blocking seems to be OK it is the pass blocking we have trouble with. And that FS you want us to draft, Watkins is our FS. He is a rookie and only started a handful of games. He will make mistakes. And that WR in the first round, is he even considered a first round talent?

Ramirez is a pretty good pass blocker as well. You may be right about Watkins, but Goldson is a valuable player and would provide some key depth.

Alot of mock drafts had Rice going in the top 20 preseason, now most have him in the 20-40 range. I still think hes first round talent and is better than Samardija and Dwayne Jarrett.

Believe it or not fellas but Jordan Palmers stock is dropping a bit. Maybe Palmer in the 4th is a bit of a stretch but I dont see him going in the first, second, or early 3rd rounds.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
If we are going to spend a 1st on a WR, we might as well go after someone in the elite of college football. Mario Manningham, who has the sickest double moves in the country is a good choice, Ted Ginn Jr. is explosive and would be the best return man this team has had in years, Smarzidja is huge and is probably the best player on ND's offense, Calvin Johnson another huge and explosive player.

It just doesnt make sense to throw a dart at the board and wind up with someone like Travis Taylor or Rashaun Woods just because you need a WR and all the game breakers are gone.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1120651 said:
If we are going to spend a 1st on a WR, we might as well go after someone in the elite of college football. Mario Manningham, who has the sickest double moves in the country is a good choice, Ted Ginn Jr. is explosive and would be the best return man this team has had in years, Smarzidja is huge and is probably the best player on ND's offense, Calvin Johnson another huge and explosive player.

It just doesnt make sense to throw a dart at the board and wind up with someone like Travis Taylor or Rashaun Woods just because you need a WR and all the game breakers are gone.

Manningham is not draft elgible this year. Calvin Johnson goes top 3. Ted Ginn Jr goes top 20 most likely but I wouldnt be opposed to drafting him if we had the chance. Samarzidja is overrated and isnt better than Sidney Rice or Dwayne Jarrett for that matter. Sidney Rice is a great talent and has good speed and explosiveness. His stock will rise at the combine he has great measurables.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I think it's funny you have us selecting past the 20th pick.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ;1120667 said:
Manningham is not draft elgible this year. Calvin Johnson goes top 3. Ted Ginn Jr goes top 20 most likely but I wouldnt be opposed to drafting him if we had the chance. Samarzidja is overrated and isnt better than Sidney Rice or Dwayne Jarrett for that matter. Sidney Rice is a great talent and has good speed and explosiveness. His stock will rise at the combine he has great measurables.

I know Manningham isnt eligible, but the point is go big or go home. Too many teams pick horrible WR's at the bottom of the first round just because they need a body at the position. I just dont see how Smarzidja is overrated. His numbers speak for themselves. 15 TD's last year, This is coming from the biggest ND hater around. I mean, its not like he has gotten 5/6 of his touchdowns against Florida Atlantic.