Cowboys 2007 Draft

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
jumanji;1120675 said:
ugh, are you a texas tech fan or something?

Nope...

Interesting fact, I actually posted a mock last year that had us taking Pat Watkins in the 4th round and Skyler Green in the 5th round. That was like at the end of last season. Kind of got ripped for liking Watkins but whatever.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1120682 said:
I know Manningham isnt eligible, but the point is go big or go home. Too many teams pick horrible WR's at the bottom of the first round just because they need a body at the position. I just dont see how Smarzidja is overrated. His numbers speak for themselves. 15 TD's last year, This is coming from the biggest ND hater around. I mean, its not like he has gotten 5/6 of his touchdowns against Florida Atlantic.

Yeah you may be right but I dont think Rice is a horrible WR. His game translates well to the NFL. Still needs to improve route running but other than that he has all that you want in a WR.

I believe that Samarzidja is overrated simply because he does have the BEST QB passing to him and does face alot of single coverages unlike Ginn or Rice or Calvin Johnson who often go against double teams. Samarzidja isnt really that fast and drops passes. I mean he is an okay prospect but not as good as some people make him out to be.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ;1120688 said:
Yeah you may be right but I dont think Rice is a horrible WR. His game translates well to the NFL. Still needs to improve route running but other than that he has all that you want in a WR.

I believe that Samarzidja is overrated simply because he does have the BEST QB passing to him and does face alot of single coverages unlike Ginn or Rice or Calvin Johnson who often go against double teams. Samarzidja isnt really that fast and drops passes. I mean he is an okay prospect but not as good as some people make him out to be.

Troy Smith goes to ND now?

btcutter

Reaction score
Let me see.....last time I checked our OL is in shambles and we spend 25 Million on TO......hummmmmm....

Trade down from mid 1st to early second and pick up extra 2nd and 3rd rounders and let's make sure our first 3 picks all goes to OL.....even by damn luck we should hit on 1 or 2 to plug a few holes for years to come. Without an OL, no QB or RB can survive. We've invested heavily on DL and OL now it's time to hit the OL.
To draft anything else unless someone is a ABSOLUTE star would be a mistake.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Jordan Palmer at worst will be a early 2rd pick, most likely a mid 1st rd pick. I would love for us to draft him with our 1st rd pick, i think he has the skills to be one day as good as his brother

Connection20

Reaction score
Id just like to point out one more time that WRs in the in NFL who played thier college ball under Steve Spurrier have been among the biggest groups of busts ever. The only one to have any success at all is Ike Hilliard, and even he was never better than a number 2. Drafting a south carolina WR is like drafting a Texas Tech QB....your getting nothing. Its a system

Bizwah

Reaction score
Never too early to talk draft.

I think WR is a good option, and I like Rice.....but I think there may be more pressing issues.

QB is far from certain....and if you read JJ's words, we may try and move up to take a QB this year.

I'd almost like to see us go WR in round two. This has the potential to be a deep WR draft. A guy like Bowe from LSU would be an interesting pick at the end of the first day.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Da Hammer;1120853 said:
Jordan Palmer at worst will be a early 2rd pick, most likely a mid 1st rd pick. I would love for us to draft him with our 1st rd pick, i think he has the skills to be one day as good as his brother

I think you mean Drew Stanton. Most people consider Jordan Palmer a 4th-5th round pick depending on what he does at the combine, even a few scouts I've talked to think hes more of a sleeper pick and not really 1st or 2nd round material but has the potential to be a solid NFL starting QB.

I would have us taking an O-lineman in the first but other than Levi Brown, Justin Blalock, and Joe Thomas there isnt anyone else worth taking all and all those guys are expected to go 1-20. Manuel Ramirez would be a great 2nd round pick and could step in at RG next year.

Bizwah

Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ;1120932 said:
I think you mean Drew Stanton. Most people consider Jordan Palmer a 4th-5th round pick depending on what he does at the combine, even a few scouts I've talked to think hes more of a sleeper pick and not really 1st or 2nd round material but has the potential to be a solid NFL starting QB.

I would have us taking an O-lineman in the first but other than Levi Brown, Justin Blalock, and Joe Thomas there isnt anyone else worth taking all and all those guys are expected to go 1-20. Manuel Ramirez would be a great 2nd round pick and could step in at RG next year.

Actually, Palmer is starting to move up the boards of draft gurus.

Who knows how GMs really see him though?

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Bizwah;1120935 said:
Actually, Palmer is starting to move up the boards of draft gurus.

Who knows how GMs really see him though?

Yeah you have a good point. But I think there are 5 Quarterbacks ahead of him right now and 2 others if they decide to come out.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1120585 said:
Who the hell is Sidney Rice?

I will go postal if we draft him in the first round.

Wide out from University of South Carolina, had like 14 or 15 tds last year, only thing i have againts him is his coach...Steve Spurriur and alot of his Wide outs dont pann out in the NFL they just have good stats due to his "fun and gun" offense or what ever its called

Gordon

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1120597 said:
I just looked him up, somewhere near 50 overall in recieving yards and his longest reception is 46 yards. Seeing as his big games have been against Wofford and Florida Atlantic (5 of his 6 TD's against Florida Atlantic), I say no way this guy is a 1st rounder, he might not even be a day 1 pick.

You shouldn't really talk about college football if you don't watch it..

Rice had close to 1200 yards at 12-13 TDs last year as a (RS) Freshman. His stats this year which are only above average, as opposed to remarkable, can be attributed to having 3 different QBs over the course of the year and the fact that as of either last week or the week before, he played in a conference with 4 of the 5 best defenses in the nation. By the way, he doesn't have the luxury of Brady Quinn or Chad Henne throwing to him like some of the other receivers mentioned.

Sidney Rice is a freak and if he does come out this year, he'll probably suffer from the deep WR class and slip to the late 1st because he is an underclassmen

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
jbsg02;1120943 said:
Jordan Palmer throws a LOT of picks

Yeah I mentioned that. The majority of those interceptions are due to poor reads, so its a correctable issue.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Gordon;1120962 said:
You shouldn't really talk about college football if you don't watch it..

Rice had close to 1200 yards at 12-13 TDs last year as a (RS) Freshman. His stats this year which are only above average, as opposed to remarkable, can be attributed to having 3 different QBs over the course of the year and the fact that as of either last week or the week before, he played in a conference with 4 of the 5 best defenses in the nation. By the way, he doesn't have the luxury of Brady Quinn or Chad Henne throwing to him like some of the other receivers mentioned.

Sidney Rice is a freak and if he does come out this year, he'll probably suffer from the deep WR class and slip to the late 1st because he is an underclassmen

A freak? My goodness people throw that term around liberally these days.

A Spurrier wide out.

Great odds for success.

Gordon

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1120976 said:
A freak? My goodness people throw that term around liberally these days.

A Spurrier wide out.

Great odds for success.

LoL, you act like he's playing for mid-late 90's Gators. Those WR's were busts because they were in a really good offense that made them look better than they were. Sidney Rice is in an offense where he's really their only target.

I assure you the 2006 South Carolina is NOTHING like the 1996 Florida Gators roster which included Danny Weurfell, Fred Taylor, Reidel Anthony, Ike Hilliard, Jacquez Green, etc.

I'll buy the system excuse when there's that much talent on the field. But when you're really the only threat in the offense, no system is gonna help you. Besides, the system doesn't help him consistently make freak catches.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ;1120573 said:
1st Round: WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina

Cowboys have a good set of Wide Receivers but their top two guys are getting up there in age and could use a playmaker like Rice for the future. If Rice does decide to come out and if he does last 20+ picks till Dallas selects this pick would make alot of sense.

I could see the Boys going WR in the first round... I rather like Jason Hill from Washington State, he's put up consistently good numbers in a good passing conference these last couple-three years...

2nd Round: OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

Ramirez has next level strength and would be able to step in right away and be a dominant force for the run game which the Cowboys are missing right now along that O-line.

I like Ramirez, and think the Boys should look to the OL pretty early, and often...

3rd Round: CB Jonathon Wade, Tennessee

Not a typical Bill Parcells pick but if Wade could improve his open field tackling and become more physical this pick would make all the sense in the world.

I believe that's the reason the Cowboys WON'T consider Wade...

4th Round: QB Jordan Palmer, UTEP

Palmer has a big arm and decent mobility but will need to limit his bad throws and bad decisions if he wants to become a starter in the NFL. Throws alot of interceptions but that can be fixed with good coaching. You have to love his size 6'5 235.

Ain't no way Palmer will still be on the board in the 4th round... he's a first day pick for sure, perhaps even a 2nd rounder...

He's also pretty much a statue in the pocket... don't know where you got the notion he had decent mobility... this season, he has a net of MINUS 52 yards rushing (of course, the NCAA counts sacks as a rushing attempt)...

As a former Miner (1970-72), I'm always in favor of the Boys drafting UTEP players... :D

Don't really know the other players you discuss in the later rounds...

silverbear

Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ;1120586 said:
Does it look like im Joking. Just something different than all the typical talk around here lately. And I have a good feeling of where we will draft, and its definately not in the top 10. All these players are pretty much projected around those spots. You dont need draft grades and all that other stuff to make a simple mock...

JJ, for a true draftaholic, the preparation for the next draft starts about an hour after the last draft concludes... don't let those who aren't draftaholics give you any grief about that...

The biggest reason I watch college football (besides the Horns) is to see draft prospects I've got on my early watch list... wouldn't watch a game between Ohio State and Michigan (just to cite one example) if it wasn't for that interest...

silverbear

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1120604 said:
Well our run blocking seems to be OK it is the pass blocking we have trouble with.

Well then, you ought to like Ramirez; Texas Tech LIVES by the pass (and occasionally, dies by it)...

And that WR in the first round, is he even considered a first round talent?

If Rice comes out, he's probably gonna have a first round grade...

silverbear

Reaction score
CowboyManDan;1120610 said:
I'd be very happy with Jordan Palmer, but I'm pretty sure he'll go before the 4th. I'm guessing he'll go from late 1st to 2nd round, but we'll see.

He might have been a late first round prospect at the start of the season, but UTEP has struggled this year... this is mostly because of a weak defense, but their record will hurt Jordan's draft stock a little, I think...

The Boys might be able to draft him in the later stages of the second round, and I'll be happy if that's the way it works out...