Cowboys 2007 Draft

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ;1120963 said:
Yeah I mentioned that. The majority of those interceptions are due to poor reads, so its a correctable issue.

Actually, I had a UTEP fan on one of these boards tell me that early in the season, most of the picks he threw were deflections off his receivers' hands...

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
silverbear;1121019 said:
Actually, I had a UTEP fan on one of these boards tell me that early in the season, most of the picks he threw were deflections off his receivers' hands...

Yeah 2 or 3 have been like that. But the majority of them have been poor reads. I've watched all of their games this year except for one and have attended a couple live at the Sun bowl. I also believe that Palmer has decent Mobility in the "Pocket" to be more specific, he can avoid the rush off the edge from time to time.

You make alot of great points silverbear :).

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
If we went WR, it would be for a guy like Calvin Johnson, a cant miss top notch stud.

Theres not one gaping hole IMO, bc we still have to take a look at a lot of young guys. Romo especially

can we stick w/ Watkins or do we have to draft someone there?

LT, RT, and RG all could be 1st round options

1st-LT
2nd-QB
3rd-RG
4th-RT
5th-FS/PR
6th-LT
7th-Nose

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Are you assuming that the Cowboys go into the draft with only Romo on the Roster ?

Also I realize that the Cowboys need to infuse youth at the WR position, but at the same time a first rounder, when OL is still a position of need ?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
If for some insane reason Calvin Johnson was sitting there, we'd have to take him, but as it is now were not satisfying all of our weapons.

Through draft, free agency, trade, new coaching staff whatever it takes we got to get this o line thing fixed. If Romo is what I think he is, the line will be the only thing holding us back IMO

YoungBuck

Reaction score
If we're going to pick a CB I'd much rather it be Aaron Ross from Texas. Not only is he one of the top corners in the country, he's also one of the top punt returners in the country.

I think the priorities are off. I like Rice, and I think we need to adress the WR position, but OLine has to be the #1 priority. When guys like Levi Brown and Justin Blalock will be available in the neighborhood of our pick, I'd hate for us to pass on them.

I'd then select Aaron Ross in the second round. He'd serve as a punt returner for now, and will be able to take over for Aaron Glenn when he retires in the next few years.

3rd I don't have a real problem with Jordan Palmer. Others to look at are Trent Edwards and Tyler Palko.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1120585 said:
Who the hell is Sidney Rice?

I will go postal if we draft him in the first round.

Just because you've never heard of him doesn't mean he isn't any good, or worthy of a 1st round pick.

Scott Wright, one of the most highly regarded draft scouts has him as a 1st round pick

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Here's a site with him projected as a top 10 pick

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mock_draft.htm

What do you know, another site with him as a 1st round pick..

http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft.htm

Do I need to continue??

Physically Rice has just about everything that you look for in a top receiver including outstanding size, hands and ball skills

6'4, 205, 4.4 speed. Gosh, why would we want a WR like that. :rolleyes:

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really DOUBT that WR is even on the radar with the FO. With Hurd, Austin still to figure out I doubt that any first day picks go there.
O line- depends on how the year goes. RIvera I think is definitly out of here- so we need to find out about Proctor. Kosier and Columbo and McQ need hard looks as well. We need to know if they can be solid players. I think Kosier will be fine; Columbo and McQ are very raw. Same with Proctor.
As long as the FO thinks that they will develope I see no high picks on O line unless someone falls to us. QB of course all depends on how Romo does.
SO once again I see D getting the picks. NT still a need; and probably a top young CB unless Jones and Reeves really show something. Of course, we might take care of several things in FA as well. Actually, I would rather go FA on the O line if we can get someone really good like Steinbach. Same on NT, if we can get some wide body with experience and nastiness. Realistically, with all the young guys we need to find out about its hard to see where the needs will be come march.

Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ;1120573 said:
2nd Round: OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

Ramirez has next level strength and would be able to step in right away and be a dominant force for the run game which the Cowboys are missing right now along that O-line.

i really don't like this draft. if the only high draft choice we spend on OL is a 2 for a guard, i would think jerrah would make a run at someone in FA. we clearly need more OL help than this draft scenario provides.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
silverbear;1121017 said:
He might have been a late first round prospect at the start of the season, but UTEP has struggled this year... this is mostly because of a weak defense, but their record will hurt Jordan's draft stock a little, I think...

The Boys might be able to draft him in the later stages of the second round, and I'll be happy if that's the way it works out...

Hmm, that might work to our advantage. You guys are right about him throwing a lot of ints. He doesn't have quite as much experience as Carson did at this stage. Then it took Carson till his 2nd or 3rd year before he was ready. I still think he'll go no later than round 3...but then again I thought Witten was going first round as many had him labeled as the top rated TE of that draft...and that worked out. Way too early to tell for Palmer, but it's fun talking about this stuff...QB is probably my fav position so I really hope we take one on day 1.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ;1121035 said:
Yeah 2 or 3 have been like that. But the majority of them have been poor reads. I've watched all of their games this year except for one and have attended a couple live at the Sun bowl. I also believe that Palmer has decent Mobility in the "Pocket" to be more specific, he can avoid the rush off the edge from time to time.

You make alot of great points silverbear :).

Live in or around El Paso, do you??

I really miss that area... I loved the desert when I lived down there...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JustSayNotoTO;1120585 said:
Who the hell is Sidney Rice?

I will go postal if we draft him in the first round.

I take it you don't watch much college football if you have to ask who Sidney Rice is.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
silverbear;1121228 said:
Live in or around El Paso, do you??

I really miss that area... I loved the desert when I lived down there...

Well I live in the Dallas area just in the suburbs. But I get around Texas to alot of High School and College football games. Its quite nice...

Do we need to go FS on the first day? Im not saying Watkins isnt good or going to be good but we have really been exposed in the secondary this year. More so in the safety positions.