Twitter: Cowboys adding 'secret sauce' to scouting department

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Feb 21, 2021.

1. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

28,918 Messages
    49,854 Likes Received
    This was going to be a locally owned and operated family run business from the start so there should be no shock registered at this latest one to join the clan and there will be more. Many more.

Booger owns it and can put whoever he wants into any position and this is nothing but an extension of "I am already in a funk about this team, here's another to go off on".

That said, I have 25 years of experience in working with these type businesses and the successes were easy to spot, they held the family members accountable as employees, not family when it came to the business. I've had several instances of the father or mother firing a relative even their own children because when it came to the business, it was about the business.

I do not see that with Booger. He doesn't hold himself accountable or his first born son and what makes that even worse for fans, they all know it. They will eventually have a Jones in every titled position in that front office.

On the other side of that coin is that because they are family, that doesn't mean they can't be good at what they do. Automatically assuming they're all a bunch of incompetents really isn't fair. They do have the advantage of growing up around it and we all learn from watching others, both how to do it and how not to do it.

This is just item #27 on our list of things to be pissed off about the Dallas Cowboys.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Jake, Bobhaze and WoodysGirl like this.
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Editor

76,277 Messages
    31,021 Likes Received
    But EYE was and YOU responded to me. So you should've focused on what I was actually posting and not your opinions and thoughts.

Jake likes this.
  3. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

10,864 Messages
    14,913 Likes Received
    You obviously don't know much about Al Davis. He was a football coach in college and the NFL. He was a true student of the game. He has absolutely nothing in common with Jerry Jones who basically bought his way into a job he has no talent or training to do.

Jake and Captain-Crash like this.
  4. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

28,918 Messages
    49,854 Likes Received
    Both the good and the bad. At one time, before he became Crazy Al, he was a s good a football man as there was in the game but he was a football man before he bought the team.

Interesting that Al's son learned and he turned it over to a GM and HC. Rooney, Mara, Bidwell all learned to trust professionals to conduct their business. Mike Brown never learned that, he thought he knew because he father was the famous Paul Brown, indeed a football man. That is who Booger's son is going to be, the next Mike Brown. And I predict about as successful on the field.

5. atlantacowboy

10,864 Messages
    14,913 Likes Received
    Yes, b/c your opinion that "90% of the NFL are family run and operated off nepotism" is completely made up garbage. That statement wouldn't be even be close true even if it only included coaches.

You think other teams are run like the cowboys and you could not be more wrong.

6. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

28,918 Messages
    49,854 Likes Received
    But the example still stands, an owner can successfully run his club with regards to the on the field action. However, that is the isolated case in modern times, Paul Brown and George Halas were very successful.

Jake likes this.
  7. atlantacowboy

10,864 Messages
    14,913 Likes Received
    Al Davis was a football coach before he was an owner. He was involved in football at the collegiate and NFL level long before he became an owner. Jerry was an insurance salesman and oil wildcatter. See the difference yet?

Captain-Crash and Risen Star like this.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

62,032 Messages
    115,150 Likes Received
    Well I'm sure the kid will progress up the ladder in this organization just like anyone named Thompson or Jenkins would.

Nothing to see here.

9. starman22

starman22 Well-Known Member

475 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    Well, it's good to know he will be learning the ins and outs from the best. We wouldn't want to bring in someone "off the street" that may change the culture and direction to an actual positive or winning attitude.

I guess the hope is that his understanding of how it's run, (badly) will enable him to someday, when everyone moves up a notch in the hierarchy, make changes that will get us to a championship game.

atlantacowboy and Captain-Crash like this.
  10. Captain-Crash

Captain-Crash Well-Known Member

7,269 Messages
    8,982 Likes Received
    maybe little caesars can hire pizza face as a salesman too.

11. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

8,125 Messages
    25,326 Likes Received
    Well said Coach.
    It’s the lack of accountability that makes this organization stink. The Steelers are certainly a “family run” business with several Rooneys in key positions. BUT- what makes them different is:
    1. The Owner, Art Rooney II is also the President and his son Art III is VP. But what makes them different is they hire people to run the football operations. They hire a GM and HC, and delegate tons of authority to those guys.
    2. Very few Rooney family members are employed by the team. It’s a tightly managed family business where your last name alone doesn’t qualify you for an executive position.
    Maybe someday, the Jones clan will realize that delegating football operations to experts that can be held accountable is a winning formula both on and off the field. It doesn’t mean you don’t still own the team and share in its direction and success. If only...

Captain-Crash likes this.
  12. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

23,677 Messages
    46,020 Likes Received
    I have accepted it, unfortunately. Which is why I've resigned myself to having watched my last Cowboys Super Bowl.

Not that I wouldn't want another one (or four), I just don't have confidence in the organization.

WoodysGirl likes this.
  13. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

23,677 Messages
    46,020 Likes Received
    Al Davis was a head coach (AFL) before he was ever in the front office. None of the Jones clan can make such a claim.

14. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

23,677 Messages
    46,020 Likes Received
    Paul Brown and George Halas never had to manage a salary cap or free agency. It's a different world now, requiring additional skills the Joneses have had a difficult time navigating successfully.

CouchCoach likes this.
  15. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

28,880 Messages
    11,305 Likes Received
    Jones kid: "Grand dad, grand dad! There's this guy, he runs fast and his name is Jo'vell! Can I sign him?"
    Grand dad: "What position?"
    Jones kid: "Let me text him!"

CouchCoach, Bobhaze and Captain-Crash like this.
  16. Captain-Crash

Captain-Crash Well-Known Member

7,269 Messages
    8,982 Likes Received
    when is the midget jones QB at Arkansas going to be signed as starting QB?

Bobhaze likes this.
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Editor

76,277 Messages
    31,021 Likes Received
    That's fair.
    They havent earned that confidence. Well, they had it, then lost it.

Jake likes this.
  18. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

9,886 Messages
    13,035 Likes Received
    Not that it's a great franchise, but Mike Brown and the Bengals say hi.

Jake likes this.
  19. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

11,841 Messages
    18,990 Likes Received
    We're doomed.

20. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

28,918 Messages
    49,854 Likes Received
    Couldn't agree more and what's even more important than that when it comes to this team, GMing is a full time job and a not a part time one where the owner gets to cherry pick the fun things he wants to do.

Booger is so comfortable that he admitted he doesn't watch film of players. Do you think any GM in the NFL would freely admit that to their owner? There are many skills and tasks required but none more important that the evaluation of talent. If he's ever watched any film, it's of receivers making catches or DB's getting picks.

A mathematician can manage the cap; takes a keen judge of talent to build a team.

Jake likes this.