Signed by Cowboys Cowboys agree to terms with Jason Peters

Jumbo075

Reaction score
they had a good coach in Bud Grant and a good QB, Tark back in the days.

I loved watching Fran Tarkenton play back in the 70's. People forget that the Cowboys and Vikings accounted for 9 of the 10 NFC Super Bowl appearances in the 70's. Staubach and Tarkenton were the Super Bowl QB in seven of those 10 Super Bowls.

1970 - Vikings lost to Chiefs - Joe Kapp
1971 - Cowboys lost to Colts - Craig Morton
1972 - Cowboys beat Dolphins - Staubach
1973 - Commanders lost to Dolphins - Billy Kilmer
1974 - Vikings lost to Dolphins - Tarkenton
1975 - Vikings lost to Steelers - Tarkenton
1976 - Cowboys lost to Steelers - Staubach
1977 - Vikings lost to Raiders - Tarkenton
1978 - Cowboys beat Broncos - Staubach
1979 - Cowboys lost to Steelers - Staubach

People either don't know or forget that Fran Tarkenton's father died of a heart attack during the game while watching the Raiders stomp the Vikings. So Tarkenton lost the Super Bowl and his father on the same day - a real tragedy.

Note: A moderator changed the name of the team in Washington from what they were actually called in 1973 to the ridiculous name they used last year. Don't blame that on me. Calling them "Football Team" or "Commanders" doesn't change what they were ACTUALLY called in 1973, and re-writing history to assuage the feelings of modern day cry babies is utterly ridiculous and really, really dishonest.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yes but it's also possible Peters never plays for the Cowboys because Smith and McGovern are playing well on the left side.

More likely he plays but just being a mentor is possible.

I'm sure that's the hope. I've been thinking that it's interesting also that they get their chance in two games we're not really expected to win (Tampa and Cincy), so either they prove they are up to the challenge or we move Peters in for games where we are favored and need to win to get back to the playoffs. Not saying the Bucs and Bengals are blow-off games, but our season doesn't exactly hinge on them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
All this does is send a message to our young Tyler Smith that they have no faith in him... a no-confidence vote. The Cowboys are usually pretty good at messaging. Not this time. It has nothing to do with insurance or being prepared with a backup. Even Dak Prescott has a backup, it's just that Cooper Rush isn't a 9-time pro-bowler. It's a mistake!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Then it's not official until Tuesday.
which is EXACTLY what Fisher said.... but we have idiots that dont actually comprehend or listen to what is actually said and then they want to run to their computer to get their daily dose of negativity off their chest.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I loved watching Fran Tarkenton play back in the 70's. People forget that the Cowboys and Vikings accounted for 9 of the 10 NFC Super Bowl appearances in the 70's. Staubach and Tarkenton were the Super Bowl QB in seven of those 10 Super Bowls.

1973 - Football Team lost to Dolphins - Billy Kilmer

People either don't know or forget that Fran Tarkenton's father died of a heart attack during the game while watching the Raiders stomp the Vikings. So Tarkenton lost the Super Bowl and his father on the same day - a real tragedy.

Note: A moderator changed the name of the team in Washington from what they were actually called in 1973 to the ridiculous name they used last year. Don't blame that on me.
I agree one hundred percent. Some people have never seen or heard of Chuck Foreman. Just watching some of the highlights of his runs, you can see he was way ahead of his generation.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
which is EXACTLY what Fisher said.... but we have idiots that dont actually comprehend or listen to what is actually said and then they want to run to their computer to get their daily dose of negativity off their chest.
Today (Monday) the sun doesn't officially rise again until Tuesday, either. Do you comprehend that? So that you don't think I'm being negative, I'm positive this is happening. :muttley:

Carson

Reaction score
All this does is send a message to our young Tyler Smith that they have no faith in him... a no-confidence vote. The Cowboys are usually pretty good at messaging. Not this time. It has nothing to do with insurance or being prepared with a backup. Even Dak Prescott has a backup, it's just that Cooper Rush isn't a 9-time pro-bowler. It's a mistake!
No it doesn’t send any message.

People need to quit acting like Tyler was given the starting LT job post draft, spent all training camp and 3 preseason games at LT for this to happen. He played limited snaps at LT and didn’t play the final preseason game at all.

If Smiths ankle remains banged up, I cannot imagine how terrible our left side of the line would be with Ball-McGovern-Biadasz

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

1973 - Football Team lost to Dolphins - Billy Kilmer

Note: A moderator changed the name of the team in Washington from what they were actually called in 1973 to the ridiculous name they used last year. Don't blame that on me.
I just watched Tarkenton on Peytons Places and he said that his father died during the Hail Mary game against Dallas.

as for the mods changing the names of the skins of a red hue team, shame on them for that, really. Its what they were called for decades. We dont call them that anymore, fine, thats good, but to play pretend as if the word is painful and we must never see it in writing, they should get over themselves. Pro Football Reference hasnt changed it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I am glad we signed someone as none of the ones on our team were worth starting and Smith is a rookie. but Wouldn't Fisher been a better option. Peters was great. future HOFer, but he is 40. that's a concern

I'd be a little more concerned if he didn't have a bounce-back year last year with Chicago. It wasn't perfect, but it was starter-quality.

Aven8

Reaction score
No it doesn’t send any message.

People need to quit acting like Tyler was given the starting LT job post draft, spent all training camp and 3 preseason games at LT for this to happen. He played limited snaps at LT and didn’t play the final preseason game at all.

If Smiths ankle remains banged up, I cannot imagine how terrible our left side of the line would be with Ball-McGovern-Biadasz

Right. He has all the physical tools in the world but his technique needs to be refined. That’s why they have had him at Guard all TC.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I just watched Tarkenton on Peytons Places and he said that his father died during the Hail Mary game against Dallas.

as for the mods changing the names of the skins of a red hue team, shame on them for that, really. Its what they were called for decades. We dont call them that anymore, fine, thats good, but to play pretend as if the word is painful and we must never see it in writing, they should get over themselves. Pro Football Reference hasnt changed it.

Well, I remembered wrongly. I thought Tarkenton's father died during the Super Bowl, and believed that was true for years. I stand corrected.