Cowboys and Brandon Weeden agree to 2-year deal

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
LOL. Same here. And if Weeden looked lost in Norv's QB friendly system, then I fear what may happen to Weeden under Garrett.

KB1122

Reaction score
I'm sure T. Boone Pickens told Jerry that Weeden had the talent to be a great quarterback. So obviously he does.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The next Jim Plunket!

Jim Plunkett finally was considered a good QB when he and the Raider won a Superbowl. That was in Plunkett's 9th season and his 3rd team. You wait that long with Weeden and he will be receiving social security.

basstapp

Reaction score
He was signed for vet min and will replace Orton as the backup. He played for the Browns and only one quarterback in the last ten years has had a good year there (Derek Anderson).

While it is a stretch to say how well Weeden can backup Romo he won't be a bad option coming off the bench. Remember when he was drafted his only knock was his age. People liked his size and skills at that time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No. I was just correctly pointing out that by the time Wade Wilson arrived, Tony Romo the UDFA was already groomed into his starter role by someone else.

I'm a stickler for facts.

coaching and learning does not stop just because he started half a season. Wade I think knows something about the position he played and has been coaching it a good while I'm sure there are things he knows and understand that even you don't know. Hard to believe huh. lol

erod

Reaction score
Did you miss the part that said they thought he could start? That's the scary look into the depths of the crazy Al Davis v2 eyes. Camp body is one thing....

The entire league thought he could start two years ago when he was the 22nd player taken in the draft. Jon Gruden gushed over him like he was the next Aikman. And he has started, so of course he "could start". Technically, any quarterback "could start".

The guy will count $75,000 against the cap. If they thought he was the future of the team, they would have signed him for far more money and a much longer term.

It was just designed to boost his confidence, which is what he needs after playing in that NFL sink hole.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
coaching and learning does not stop just because he started half a season. Wade I think knows something about the position he played and has been coaching it a good while I'm sure there are things he knows and understand that even you don't know. Hard to believe huh. lol

I'm sorry I pointed out that you were wrong that Wade Wilson was part of Romo's development from UDFA to starter.

I know it stings.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm sorry I pointed out that you were wrong that Wade Wilson was part of Romo's development from UDFA to starter.

I know it stings.

Does not sting at all. Wade has been working with Romo that is a fact, Romo started half a season before Wade took over and? What players know everything once they start and no longer need coaching?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jim Plunkett finally was considered a good QB when he and the Raider won a Superbowl. That was in Plunkett's 9th season and his 3rd team. You wait that long with Weeden and he will be receiving social security.

Actually, Plunkett never got a chance to show what he had because he played for the Patriots, who were awful and didn't give him much to work with. Kind of like Archie Manning on the Saints. When he got with the Raiders, he finally was able to show his skills because he had competent talent around him.

BTW, LOL on the Weeden/SSN quip. :)

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Dont bring in a safety to fix what was a complete debacle back there last season, bring in a scrub QB when you have Orton and Romo. This makes a ton of sense. Another great move by our glorious GM.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dont bring in a safety to fix what was a complete debacle back there last season, bring in a scrub QB when you have Orton and Romo. This makes a ton of sense. Another great move by our glorious GM.

There is talk that Orton could retire.
Also we don't know how much time Romo will miss in the camps.

So how about we bring in a vet minimum guy, with zero guaranteed money, to have as an extra arm in camp.

It really is not the end of the world that some are acting like and it has nothing to do with safety or other positions.

It is a camp arm and a look at a player they liked coming out of the draft.

bark

Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised to see them cut or trade Orton and roll with weeden as the back up

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is talk that Orton could retire.
Also we don't know how much time Romo will miss in the camps.

So how about we bring in a vet minimum guy, with zero guaranteed money, to have as an extra arm in camp.

It really is not the end of the world that some are acting like and it has nothing to do with safety or other positions.

It is a camp arm and a look at a player they liked coming out of the draft.

a camp arm that many felt was worth a 2nd or 1st he ened up being drafted in the 1st. He will be entering his 3rd season so while things have not gone good for Weeden he still has some skills that the coaches can work with and maybe help him become a better player. If not as you said low end contract and if he is cut tomorrow will not have any negitive affect

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised to see them cut or trade Orton and roll with weeden as the back up

Hard to trade a guy who is thinking about retiring. Dallas made the move for Weeden as insurance in case Orton does retire. If not then Orton will be in camp and will compete for the backup roll.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Cowboys still have Kyle Orton on the roster as Tony Romo’s backup, though there’s speculation about whether or not Orton will return next season despite being under contract. Owner/general manager Jerry Jones made it clear at the NFL Scouting Combine he wants Orton, who could choose to retire, to return in 2014.

“Let me put it like this, I haven’t talked to him and we haven’t talked to him directly about anything that has to do with him not playing,” Jones said from Indianapolis in February. “I’m assuming he’s going to play

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ear-Deal/73d64f56-74cd-4971-81a4-49e237cc3b54