Cowboys and CD in dispute over years on contract

Chasing6

Reaction score
He has leverage. He can sit 10 games before he signs and plays. Jerry would probably fold after a 0-2 start, so why play around? The price only goes up every year and the more he misses conditioning time, the more likely he gets injured even if the two sides agree. The team has no chance without him.
Yes, let him lose $10M and have zero stats going into next years tag and start negotiating again.

Then he can sit out another 10 games and lose $15M.

Then Jerry can tag him again.

What is Jerry going to lose? We are not going to a SB this year. He already said 95% of season tickets have been sold. A majority of our fans know Jerry has no clue what he is doing.

So what changes for Jerry if CD sits out? He saves some money, gets a higher draft pick and his vacation starts sooner. Seems like a win-win for Jerry.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If you don’t think a team would sign him then you’re completely naive to how many chances raw talent will get you

Exhobit 1- Antonio Brown
He’ll get signed and be paid tens of millions to play for a team. Who cares who he plays for and how much he’s paid? What’s important is who the Cowboys’ QB1 is in 2025. Is there a plan?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Ok so if you’re CeeDee you’re playing on the last year of a rookie deal risking a career ending injury for 17 mil when other WRs who have done less are getting paid twice as much as you?
he can do what he wants, just remember, Im the team, I have the power, I have the hammer... im offering you life changing money making you the 2nd highest paid non qb in the league.... but it isnt enough> Pick your poison... Oh ceedee.... let me explain how this thing called the franchise tag works. Oh, let me explain what happens if you sit out all season....lol

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No way CD is willing to lose $1M a game and his stats. Stats and money are too important to him.

If I am Jerry I make my final offer and then we can revisit it next year. I would not allow this to become a team distraction.

MM/Stephen/Jerry need to channel their inner Belichick. We are on to next week.

Once the season starts their is no reason to discuss contracts anymore.

Dak is playing without a new deal. :thumbup:
I could not agree more with this approach. Only if teams keep caving will this crap keep going. Chase wants 40 million per year... this is laughable.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If you indexed him so he was in the top so many players his salary with continue to rise every year. But players would love that. Just don’t see how that helps cap situation since every year or so a star player is gonna get a new max contract
I was thinking that it wouldn't keep them at the very top of the range over the entire life of the contract but assure the player gets some upside while enjoying the benefits of being under contract.

conner01

Reaction score
I was thinking that it wouldn't keep them at the very top of the range over the entire life of the contract but assure the player gets some upside while enjoying the benefits of being under contract.
You could set it at 85% or what ever. But contracts themselves aren’t guaranteed so it still doesn’t mean they’d play out, the team could cut them. Guanteed contracts would solve some but very risky and owners aren’t keen on the idea. The players only security is guaranteed money. To ease the pain if these deals the league could allow more voidable years but that still counts against cap. But the reality is, as long as revenue is growing and cap is rising players will want more. And today’s max deal will be 5-6th in a couple years and out of top 10 in 3-4 years. It’s more of a fan issue than owners issue. Every year, with contracts rising they are still growing revenue and profits. So it’s not really an issue of money, the money is there. It’s an issue of a team wisely managing their contracts. Some teams have great rosters, plenty of stars and no cap issues

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You could set it at 85% or what ever. But contracts themselves aren’t guaranteed so it still doesn’t mean they’d play out, the team could cut them. Guanteed contracts would solve some but very risky and owners aren’t keen on the idea. The players only security is guaranteed money. To ease the pain if these deals the league could allow more voidable years but that still counts against cap. But the reality is, as long as revenue is growing and cap is rising players will want more. And today’s max deal will be 5-6th in a couple years and out of top 10 in 3-4 years. It’s more of a fan issue than owners issue. Every year, with contracts rising they are still growing revenue and profits. So it’s not really an issue of money, the money is there. It’s an issue of a team wisely managing their contracts. Some teams have great rosters, plenty of stars and no cap issues
A team like the bucs or browns dont get constant media attention. There is NO DOUBT that cowboys players are always in the media because they where the star. That infkates their egos and definitely makes it harder to sign our players. Every season I can point to a decent player we lose because they get money they wouldnt otherwise get had they played for the Cowboys.

Burrow took how much? And dak is wanting more then him? lol

Flamma

Reaction score
I think you misread my post.
I said that CeeDee should get between 30-35 mil (between Amon Ra and JJ, even closer to JJ), but that I would not do a 3 year deal if he was insisting on it.
The reason being is that we already control him for 3 years, with his 5th yr. rookie deal and possibly 2 years at franchise tag, and if CeeDee won't work with the team and understand that we would need to spread out his hit over 4 years, I'd either play hardball and make him play 3 years on our terms or I'd trade a guy who proved he won;t work with the team on a need as obvious as needing his deal to be 4 years. Insisting on a 3 year deal means he's already thinking about his next FA period, and it would make cap management MUCH harder for the team.
I never said he shouldn't get something at over 30 APY. He absolutely should get between Amon Ra (30APY) and JJ (35APY), and closer to JJ IMO. I'd do 33-34APY just do it on a 4 year deal.
I agree with you on the 3 year deal thing. That makes perfect money sense. Real cash value. It doesn't make cap sense. But then again, with only a 3 year deal, how much better on the cap would that be? Might as well tag him twice.

conner01

Reaction score
A team like the bucs or browns dont get constant media attention. There is NO DOUBT that cowboys players are always in the media because they where the star. That infkates their egos and definitely makes it harder to sign our players. Every season I can point to a decent player we lose because they get money they wouldnt otherwise get had they played for the Cowboys.

Burrow took how much? And dak is wanting more then him? lol
Cowboy players do get more attention

coult44

Reaction score
Lamb is probably asking for 3 years, so he can do like Dak and get right back to the table after WRs contracts have kept going up.
I love looking for these: it just proves how much people are guessing and hoping to be right.

coult44

Reaction score
There will be 2-3 good QBs in the draft
There will be other options in FA
Dak can have another ankle injury so now he’s ‘injury prone’

A LOT can happen before next off season
If Dak is 26-27 yes but at 32?
No idea
Most football people, outside of all the geniuses in here believe Dak is a top 7 QB. There will not be anyone else on the market like him. If he doesn’t sign in Dallas, he will get a deal possibly reaching 65.

visionary

Reaction score
Most football people, outside of all the geniuses in here believe Dak is a top 7 QB. There will not be anyone else on the market like him. If he doesn’t sign in Dallas, he will get a deal possibly reaching 65.
And more power to him
Just not here i hope

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I love looking for these: it just proves how much people are guessing and hoping to be right.
every person that posted about that contract is guessing. Neither side said the terms... it was leaked Dallas had gone up to 33 million per and was turned down. I did read Lamb had changed on his years, so Im assuming I was correct about him wanting 3. But "Hoping to be right?" Wth??/ You think Im waiting on a prize if I am correct? smh

coult44

Reaction score
every person that posted about that contract is guessing. Neither side said the terms... it was leaked Dallas had gone up to 33 million per and was turned down. I did read Lamb had changed on his years, so Im assuming I was correct about him wanting 3. But "Hoping to be right?" Wth??/ You think Im waiting on a prize if I am correct? smh
Not at all, i’m thinking that countless number of people in here thought they knew what was going on, but the fact is everybody was guessing. The issue is nobody wants to say they’re guessing when they’re arguing about it. Everyone talks like their opinion is absolute.