Cowboys and CD in dispute over years on contract

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe CeeDee wants 3 years, because if Dak signs an extension of 4 years. And they are still one and done in the playoffs the next 3 years. He can get out when he can.
If Dak does not sign. He may resign in 3 years, if Trey Lance or another QB can win those playoff games.
:popcorn:

Retro88

Reaction score
I know I sound like an old fart, but I hate what the NFL has become (and most professional sports).
I have no problem with a player maximizing his worth,
But if he's insisting on 3 years, we are better off not signing him. He has his 5th year on his rookie deal this season (at 18 mil), then we could franchise him 2 years if necessary. If this is who CeeDee is, we really should consider trading him.
If your concern is just being paid he's not the kind of guy I want on my team, even with his huge talent.
Football is a team game and I'm beginning to see a guy who is all about himself. You don't win with players like that, especially when they are eating up so much of your cap space. You sell jerseys, but you don't win rings.
JJ signed a 4 year deal at 140. Amon Ra was 4-120. CeeDee belongs between those, and I'm fine it his deal is closer to JJ's. CeeDee is a great player. If we truly offered 4-132 and he's demanding a 3 year deal he's not worth it, because we'll be here again too soon, with a guy trying to reset the market, and honestly, we have 3 more years of control over him as is. Final offer, 4-135 or I'd trade him, and we have time to get the best deal, as he is signed this season. He wants to sit out, that's his choice.
I disagree. If they don't want to pay a WR in the mid 30s area then that's understandable. However, if they're willing to pay in the mid 30s then they need to to just get it done. A few million is not important enough to not have him training camp at all.

visionary

Reaction score
Cousins just got 4 years, $180 million at 36 coming off a torn Achilles.

Outside of Ewers and Sanders it’s a pretty weak QB class
Happens every year
Was listening to a Commanders show yesterday and they mentioned Jayden Daniels was thought of as a rd 5 pick before the season

Hoofbite

Reaction score
More cracks at FA? If Lamb wants a 4 year deal, that's not a short contract. Since he has a year left, that's 4 full years he has to wait to get another crack at FA. It's going to be very difficult to get market value at age 29. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.
It’s shorter than what generally used to be the case which was a 5 year deal to maximize proration. He already has a deal for this year so it would be a 3 year extension.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be market value, he’s gonna get that regardless of length in the near future. Getting back to Free Agency sooner means more money for him even if it’s just by 1 year.

Sydla

Reaction score
You can go ahead and believe everything you read on the internet. I’ll continue to fact check them first.
It's not about believing everything. It's about not being a total panty waist homer who rejects or is afraid of any report that doesn't paint the Cowboys in the best light.

Meirov is well respected as a reporter. The information he gave actually jives with the facts we know about both Jerry/Cowboys and the agent who represents Lamb. We also know from other reports that the Lamb contract is not just about total money but also other things (probably guaranteed money, timing of money, length of contract).

Put all that together and it seems like this is a very credible report. Now if Meirov reported that Lamb and Jerry had a party last night together and CD is going to sign any second now, I bet you'd have no problem believing it and wouldn't question the credibility of the reporter. Because that's how you roll, homer.

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s shorter than what generally used to be the case which was a 5 year deal to maximize proration. He already has a deal for this year so it would be a 3 year extension.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be market value, he’s gonna get that regardless of length in the near future. Getting back to Free Agency sooner means more money for him even if it’s just by 1 year.
I was just saying a 4 year extension is not short. A 3 year extension is borderline on the short side. But it works both ways. That could be beneficial to the team too.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I disagree. If they don't want to pay a WR in the mid 30s area then that's understandable. However, if they're willing to pay in the mid 30s then they need to to just get it done. A few million is not important enough to not have him training camp at all.
I think you misread my post.
I said that CeeDee should get between 30-35 mil (between Amon Ra and JJ, even closer to JJ), but that I would not do a 3 year deal if he was insisting on it.
The reason being is that we already control him for 3 years, with his 5th yr. rookie deal and possibly 2 years at franchise tag, and if CeeDee won't work with the team and understand that we would need to spread out his hit over 4 years, I'd either play hardball and make him play 3 years on our terms or I'd trade a guy who proved he won;t work with the team on a need as obvious as needing his deal to be 4 years. Insisting on a 3 year deal means he's already thinking about his next FA period, and it would make cap management MUCH harder for the team.
I never said he shouldn't get something at over 30 APY. He absolutely should get between Amon Ra (30APY) and JJ (35APY), and closer to JJ IMO. I'd do 33-34APY just do it on a 4 year deal.

conner01

Reaction score
I don't recall anyone ever explaining why the deal can't be indexed so that the player has some upside while still be palatable to the organization? Let's say he signed a deal for 6 years but it protected him say thru year 4 that his % of the cap would stay the same or he would be in the top X of pay in each of those years. Player would have some inflationary protection but firmly under contract and team would have a budget with some firmness.
If you indexed him so he was in the top so many players his salary with continue to rise every year. But players would love that. Just don’t see how that helps cap situation since every year or so a star player is gonna get a new max contract

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No more than playing on the last year of a rookie deal that you have outperformed.
he hasnt outperformed anything. He was a 1st rd pick, and he has performed exactly as the team hoped a 1st rd pick would perform. He was paid EXACTLY what a 1st rd pick was supposed to be paid. When there is a pay chart that says if you have x amount of yards with x amount of TDs and X amoun t of receptions, and that pay chart says you should make 25 million for those numbers and you are only making 15 million... THEN you can say someone "Outperformed," their contract. Until then, he has been paid exactly what the CBA says he should be paid.... including the 5th year option year.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
he hasnt outperformed anything. He was a 1st rd pick, and he has performed exactly as the team hoped a 1st rd pick would perform. He was paid EXACTLY what a 1st rd pick was supposed to be paid. When there is a pay chart that says if you have x amount of yards with x amount of TDs and X amoun t of receptions, and that pay chart says you should make 25 million for those numbers and you are only making 15 million... THEN you can say someone "Outperformed," their contract. Until then, he has been paid exactly what the CBA says he should be paid.... including the 5th year option year.
Ok so if you’re CeeDee you’re playing on the last year of a rookie deal risking a career ending injury for 17 mil when other WRs who have done less are getting paid twice as much as you?

Chasing6

Reaction score
So like Dak, he wants a shorter deal, and the Cowboys will end up caving in, done deal!!
No reason to. CD has no leverage.

If Jerry wants 5 and CD wants 4. Simple tag him next year. Then offer 4, which will be 5 years at that point.

Chasing6

Reaction score
not a chance the Cowboys take Amari in a trade... ZERO chance.
No way CD is willing to lose $1M a game and his stats. Stats and money are too important to him.

If I am Jerry I make my final offer and then we can revisit it next year. I would not allow this to become a team distraction.

MM/Stephen/Jerry need to channel their inner Belichick. We are on to next week.

Once the season starts their is no reason to discuss contracts anymore.

Dak is playing without a new deal. :thumbup:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm out on big short term deals. What's the point? Just tell him to sign or get franchised the next 2 years and possibly traded to a really bad team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm out on big short term deals. What's the point? Just tell him to sign or get franchised the next 2 years and possibly traded to a really bad team.
Well he does not have to comply with the trade, which will result in lower compensation if they can't extend him.

Jenky

Reaction score
No reason to. CD has no leverage.

If Jerry wants 5 and CD wants 4. Simple tag him next year. Then offer 4, which will be 5 years at that point.

He has leverage. He can sit 10 games before he signs and plays. Jerry would probably fold after a 0-2 start, so why play around? The price only goes up every year and the more he misses conditioning time, the more likely he gets injured even if the two sides agree. The team has no chance without him.