Cowboys and CD in dispute over years on contract

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'm thinking he meant the 5 year deal had he done it earlier. But you're right. Had they signed him to a 4 year deal after his 3rd season, it would essentially be spread out over 5 years
He turned down the deal making him the second highest paid in history.

Dak was never signing anything but an absolutely unheard of monster contract knowing that kicking the can down the road by playing for top money on the tag while letting others reset the market, and demanding a short contract so he could do the same asap, would bank him the absolute most he could get. Remember the "bet on himself" mantra?

There are two sides to this story and the Jones did screw it up, but they absolutely tried, with fair, market value offers, to sign Dak as soon as it was legally possible, after his third season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes it seems so on the surface but lets look at it this way

Lets say we lose 2 to the Eagles
We lose to niners
HC of Commanders has gone against Dak for last 3 years in practice. What if they beat us

Now, what is Daks value in 2025?
9 years starting in the NFL
32 years old
Zero back to back playoff wins

Who is paying him 60+ million for 4-5 years?

Something to think about
There is always a desperate team out there. Now I don't know about $65MM AAV, but someone will pay him and pay him a lot.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Where was that documented at?
I really don't care enough whether you believe it or not, to do your homework for you. This topic has been discussed ad nauseum and the links posted. I am 100% confident I could back up my words in a legitimate debate with something on the line.

I already know your response to this before you make it, so don't feel obligated to respond. Probably best to just let it go.

Carson

Reaction score
There will be 2-3 good QBs in the draft
There will be other options in FA
Dak can have another ankle injury so now he’s ‘injury prone’

A LOT can happen before next off season
If Dak is 26-27 yes but at 32?
No idea
Cousins just got 4 years, $180 million at 36 coming off a torn Achilles.

Outside of Ewers and Sanders it’s a pretty weak QB class

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I really don't care enough whether you believe it or not, to do your homework for you. This topic has been discussed ad nauseum and the links posted. I am 100% confident I could back up my words in a legitimate debate with something on the line.

I already know your response to this before you make it, so don't feel obligated to respond. Probably best to just let it go.
What? I never said you were wrong or right. You're the one who said its been "documented" and I asked where is this documented at? I very well could be wrong but you're the one who offered that up. I'm gonna stand on what I believe until I see something to contrary. If they had signed him a year prior they would've got their extra year. Dak's intent from what i've read was always to be a free agent at 32.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Yeah that's the thing seeing what Cousins got....unless Dak has a bad year I can't see him not getting more than that.

John813

Reaction score

I would add Beck to the list, but I'm a bit weary of QB's that have a lot of pro-talent around them.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If he wants 3 years then trade him. I’m so fed up with contract drama. Don’t get me wrong, I hate Jerry and Stephen and I feel they suck as GMs. But 4 years 33 APY is fair market value. At some point the player has to give a little too.

Jerry set a bad precedent by giving into Dak in the last contract. Now everyone is going to want a market setting or near market setting short term contract. You can’t build a team that way. If this keeps going the way it is Micah is going to demand a 2 year 80 million dollar deal. It’s getting ridiculous.

I would offer him a 4 year 33-33.5 APY and if he turns it down then let him play this contract out and FT him 2 years then let him go. Lay down the hammer.

One other side note. I don’t feel our players have done enough in this league to be this demanding. This core group of guys won 1 WC game. Wow. Just 1 WC game. They got embarrassed at home by an inferior team, they lost to most of the playoff teams they faced. And the response to this is they want to be the highest paid players. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked the players on the team as much as I do this group. Bunch of entitled, weak minded cry babies that are more concerned about winning the Salary Bowl than the Super Bowl.
its not just this team.. Herbert made bank, done nothing. There are many more, I just dont care to start listing them.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
They signed Dak to two franchise tags. The deal wasn’t bad but they could’ve got him in the 5 year deal they like if they would’ve done it earlier.
again, Dak PLAYED ONLY 1 SEASON under the tag, and because he did play undre the tag, then add in the 4 year deal, they basically got him for a 5 year deal, which ended up being a decent deal as far as the team goes.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a WR that defenses fear.
Trade him NOW not worth 30+ million a year.

Proof

Reaction score
If he wants a 3 year contract, that's 4 total. All extensions start after the 5th option. But lets use your example of a 2 year extension. What he would get with a 5th year, FT, FT.

5th Year - 18M
FT - 22M
FT - 27M

If he got an actual 2 year extension paying him 35M a year

5th year - 18M
First year - 35M
Second year - 35M

As you can see, 88 million is more than 67 million. Plus his guarantees don't go past the year he's playing with the tag example.
this is based on this years tag, and doesn't account for all of the new signings. as it stands, next years tag would be 31 mil. year after that obviously more. a long with being fully guaranteed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
again, Dak PLAYED ONLY 1 SEASON under the tag, and because he did play undre the tag, then add in the 4 year deal, they basically got him for a 5 year deal, which ended up being a decent deal as far as the team goes.
Did they sign him to two franchise tags or no? You’re playing semantics I never said how many seasons he played under the tag lol.

Flamma

Reaction score
this is based on this years tag, and doesn't account for all of the new signings. as it stands, next years tag would be 31 mil. year after that obviously more. a long with being fully guaranteed.
Correct. I was just winging it with the tag amounts.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Meirov is a well respected NFL reporter. And nothing he said seems outrageous. We know the Cowboys prefer longer term deals (Jerry has said this publicly in the past) and Lamb’s agent is notorious for wanting shorter term deals so his players can renegotiate sooner.
Are there any respectable reporters?

Sydla

Reaction score
Are there any respectable reporters?
Respectable NFL reporters? Yes.

Just because you don't like what they are reporting, doesn't make them frauds. This is where your homerism kicks in. This guy had a not so great report about a Cowboys situation and you of course want to criticize him. But if you actually listen to what he said, it makes complete sense. Dallas likes long term deals, the agent in question is notorious for shorter term deals. We also heard other reports that it's not just money but contract structure issues that are at play here.

So Meirov probably has legitimate info here.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I know I sound like an old fart, but I hate what the NFL has become (and most professional sports).
I have no problem with a player maximizing his worth,
But if he's insisting on 3 years, we are better off not signing him. He has his 5th year on his rookie deal this season (at 18 mil), then we could franchise him 2 years if necessary. If this is who CeeDee is, we really should consider trading him.
If your concern is just being paid he's not the kind of guy I want on my team, even with his huge talent.
Football is a team game and I'm beginning to see a guy who is all about himself. You don't win with players like that, especially when they are eating up so much of your cap space. You sell jerseys, but you don't win rings.
JJ signed a 4 year deal at 140. Amon Ra was 4-120. CeeDee belongs between those, and I'm fine it his deal is closer to JJ's. CeeDee is a great player. If we truly offered 4-132 and he's demanding a 3 year deal he's not worth it, because we'll be here again too soon, with a guy trying to reset the market, and honestly, we have 3 more years of control over him as is. Final offer, 4-135 or I'd trade him, and we have time to get the best deal, as he is signed this season. He wants to sit out, that's his choice.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
its not just this team.. Herbert made bank, done nothing. There are many more, I just dont care to start listing them.
Herbert is on his first contract, comparable to Daks 2020 contract. Herbert has four years to go further and deeper into the playoffs. Dam didn’t live up to his contract to earn another as he failed in the two San Fran games where the defense absolutely did their part. Only last year can the defense be blamed and that after Dak putting them in the hole early.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Respectable NFL reporters? Yes.

Just because you don't like what they are reporting, doesn't make them frauds. This is where your homerism kicks in. This guy had a not so great report about a Cowboys situation and you of course want to criticize him. But if you actually listen to what he said, it makes complete sense. Dallas likes long term deals, the agent in question is notorious for shorter term deals. We also heard other reports that it's not just money but contract structure issues that are at play here.

So Meirov probably has legitimate info here.
You can go ahead and believe everything you read on the internet. I’ll continue to fact check them first.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
Not a WR that defenses fear.
Trade him NOW not worth 30+ million a year.
lol that wr is our entire offense right now. He’s why Dak has other receivers/te open bc he demand coverage, double coverage. Trade him but don’t expect any defense to fear Dakota who already showed what he is without a great wr. Go back to 2018 before Amari and Dak looked like the worst QB in the league. His number for the first six games were 160-170s and low 200s. That’s before Amari, then get CeeDee in 2020. Without either Dak sucks and that non debatable