Signed by Cowboys Cowboys and Martin reach deal. Zack Martin ends holdout

Rayman70

Reaction score
Now I get what you are trying to say but it is likely incorrect. The dead money at the end of the deal (2025 and 2026) before his contract was restructured this week was not cash to be paid out in a future year, but rather just the allocation of a previously paid restructure bonus for cap purposes (bonuses can be split over up to 5 years for cap purposes). This is in addition to that and that did not go away. It's just clearly additional money he will be paid. We should find out exactly what they did soon to see how this was structured and what the impact by year is.

edit: My guess is at least this years "raise" will be paid as a bonus and split over the life of the contract or 4 years. Next year may be paid as additional base salary and this time next year will be converted to a bonus and split over the remaining 3 years. Doing this would add almost nothing to this years cap.
WELL, GLAD HES BACK AND LETS HOPE IT WAS WORTHY OF A SB.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Who cares who gets the "win"?

LOL at blaming Martin if the team doesn't make the SB. You Jerry boys are an odd bunch.
I can't stand Jerrah as a man and a GM BUT I do respect his stance on this matter. But I hate what he did 2 Jimmy. Thats a subject for another day. Take that talk elsewhere lol But blaming Martin? No, just calling it the way it will be viewed. All we heard was how bad we needed him and if Jerry didn't find a way, that we were doomed. Thats a fact. To be clear, Dak will get the blame if we lose. Just the way it is. Glad we have Martin back, so lets roll and lay our cards down.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
wait a minute, all we been hearing since he began 2 hold out is, how we can't win and get 2 a SB without him? Whats changed since he signed? Sounds like the goal posts are getting moved further away 2 me. Cant have it both ways.
It’s pretty simple…with him we have higher odds to accomplish our highest goals and without him we have much worse odds. It’s not rocket science. Simply having him doesn’t guarantee anything other than the line is much much improved with him.

Lol it’s not both ways at all. The team is much much better with him than without and that’s not hyperbole but much improved does not equal good enough. Time will tell with that. Very easy stuff

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, that's Jerry for you. Fans shouldn't let his stupidity cause them to think stupid thoughts, too. There was never any doubt that Dallas was going to give Martin more money, just how they were going to set it up.
I figured they would extend him. Either way glad he's back

Sydla

Reaction score
I can't stand Jerrah as a man and a GM BUT I do respect his stance on this matter. But I hate what he did 2 Jimmy. Thats a subject for another day. Take that talk elsewhere lol But blaming Martin? No, just calling it the way it will be viewed. All we heard was how bad we needed him and if Jerry didn't find a way, that we were doomed. Thats a fact. To be clear, Dak will get the blame if we lose. Just the way it is. Glad we have Martin back, so lets roll and lay our cards down.
Martin alone can't win us a SB. No player outside a QB can actually do that.

But not having Martin would make it nearly impossible to win a SB given how the Cowboys have constructed their OL.

You may not see the distinction but it's there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Martin alone can't win us a SB. No player outside of a QB can actually do that.

But not having Martin would make it nearly impossible to win a SB given how the Cowboys have constructed their OL.

You may not see the distinction but it's there.
Unless you mean that a QB can be the missing piece, I can't agree that a QB alone can win us a SB. Lots of players can be the missing link, though, if your team is on the brink ... like Charles Haley was for us.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
So for everyone that feels like Martin did the right thing and got what he deserved how do you feel about Parsons showing up to camp. He is far and away the most underpaid player on the team. He is probably about 20 million below what he should be getting paid. Shouldn't he sit out as well?

Martin sat out based on a contract that he and his agents negotiated themselves. Parsons is playing on a contract that the basically the NFLPA negotiated for him. At least Martin had his chance. If I were Parsons I would be no where in sight.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Well, either Jerry's greed would've won or Martin's. I think it's good that the player won.
I am interested in this statement. The way I see it the greed of management is in the best interest of the football team. The greed of the player is in the best interest of the player. I am a fan of the team and want what is in the best interest of the team. Are you a first and foremost a fan of the player and would prefer the player get what they want in spite of the team? I am not trying to be critical. If you are that is cool and is totally reasonable and within your right to do so. I am genuinely curious.

Plankton

Reaction score
So for everyone that feels like Martin did the right thing and got what he deserved how do you feel about Parsons showing up to camp. He is far and away the most underpaid player on the team. He is probably about 20 million below what he should be getting paid. Shouldn't he sit out as well?

Martin sat out based on a contract that he and his agents negotiated themselves. Parsons is playing on a contract that the basically the NFLPA negotiated for him. At least Martin had his chance. If I were Parsons I would be no where in sight.
Parsons cannot do an extension until next year. That's per the CBA. All a holdout will do is cost him money with no potential to recoup it this year.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Parsons cannot do an extension until next year. That's per the CBA. All a holdout will do is cost him money with no potential to recoup it this year.
He should sit out the year then. Playing for peanuts is a waste of his time and he is risking millions. Sit out and sign a new contract that would be 50x his current deal after the season is over.

Plankton

Reaction score
He should sit out the year then. Playing for peanuts is a waste of his time and he is risking millions. Sit out and sign a new contract that would be 50x his current deal after the season is over.
If he sits out the year, the contract tolls, meaning that the Cowboys would still have him under contract for two more years plus the fifth year option. And, he loses a year toward becoming an unrestricted free agent. And, most importantly, he loses a year of earning in a career that won't last forever. He literally wins nothing doing this.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If he sits out the year, the contract tolls, meaning that the Cowboys would still have him under contract for two more years plus the fifth year option. And, he loses a year toward becoming an unrestricted free agent. And, most importantly, he loses a year of earning in a career that won't last forever. He literally wins nothing doing this.
Tweak a hammy for 16 weeks in a row then.