Signed by Cowboys Cowboys and Martin reach deal. Zack Martin ends holdout

Sydla

Reaction score
You got me. Parsons is screwed.
Nah, but you cleary showed an ignorance of contracts when you tried to use Parsons holding out in some sort of rant against Martin and what the Cowboys did here, seemingly unaware of the fact Parsons can't actually hold out as he is not eligible for any extension per CBA rules.

It's like yesterday when you whined about the extra $8 million for Martin that can't be used to sign other players when again, you seemed unaware that, one, Cowboys rarely ever use all their cap space anyway each year, two, the increased cap hits will probably be negligible as they will spread the new money out over a few years (and they did creating another dummy year in 2027).

We get it. You hate paying players money. You think Martin shouldn't have gotten crap.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I am interested in this statement. The way I see it the greed of management is in the best interest of the football team. The greed of the player is in the best interest of the player. I am a fan of the team and want what is in the best interest of the team. Are you a first and foremost a fan of the player and would prefer the player get what they want in spite of the team? I am not trying to be critical. If you are that is cool and is totally reasonable and within your right to do so. I am genuinely curious.

I want what is best for the team, but, at the same time, I think that the players should get as much as they can earn. They're the ones putting their bodies on the line. Jerry is just sitting in his office drinking scotch. As for Martin, the way I see it is that his new deal isn't a killer for the team. It's a deal that is only $8 mil more. I don't think it's a huge deal in terms of what is being given up. The coaches were delighted about it, so that's a plus.

Also, you need your oline to protect your QB. So, if the QB is the most important player on the team, then it stands to reason that your olinemen are probably on a tier just below the QB somewhere. Consider that, in order for the QB to do his job, you need your oline to do their job. If you have one of the best guards in the league, then that's one less gap that the DLine can get through. Consequently, that's more time that the QB has to be able to do his job. That's why I am delighted about the deal. It may be $8 mil, but it's an $8 mil insurance policy to try to keep Dak healthy. Thus, if Dak is healthy, then the team benefits. So, logically, this is a good deal for the team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So for everyone that feels like Martin did the right thing and got what he deserved how do you feel about Parsons showing up to camp. He is far and away the most underpaid player on the team. He is probably about 20 million below what he should be getting paid. Shouldn't he sit out as well?

Martin sat out based on a contract that he and his agents negotiated themselves. Parsons is playing on a contract that the basically the NFLPA negotiated for him. At least Martin had his chance. If I were Parsons I would be no where in sight.

Again, Parsons doesn't really have a choice this year, does he? He can't be extended this offseason, so he has no leverage at all in terms of getting extended this year. Thus, there's nothing that he can do about it other than keep doing what he does.