Signed by Cowboys Cowboys and Martin reach deal. Zack Martin ends holdout

Jarntt

Reaction score
They could have done the entire $8 million as bonus prorated over the next four years (since they have two void years on the end). Then we're talking cap-hitwise, $2 million this year and next year. But it adds more money to his dead cap hit in 2026 when he's not under contract.
What I'm saying is you do $4M (or whatever the exact amount is) as a bonus this year and it only adds $1M to the cap this year if you split it over 4 years. Then next year you do the same (whether you either do it now as a bonus or do it now as 2024 base salary and convert it next year) and split it over the 3 remaining years. That adds $2.33M next year ($1M from 2023 and $1.33M from 2024). So the deal costs you almost nothing (addt'l $1M cap hit this year and $2.33M cap hit next year) over the next 2 years

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Of course they do, all teams do but most team owners don't come out and say they aren't doing XYZ only to end up doing exactly that.
Well, that's Jerry for you. Fans shouldn't let his stupidity cause them to think stupid thoughts, too. There was never any doubt that Dallas was going to give Martin more money, just how they were going to set it up.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What I'm saying is you do $4M (or whatever the exact amount is) as a bonus this year and it only adds $1M to the cap this year if you split it over 4 years. Then next year you do the same (whether you either do it now as a bonus or do it now as 2024 base salary and convert it next year) and split it over the 3 remaining years. That adds $2.33M next year ($1M from 2023 and $1.33M from 2024). So the deal costs you almost nothing (addt'l $1M cap hit this year and $2.33M cap hit next year) over the next 2 years
I see. Bonus $4 million each year and prorate it. That could work to keep the additional money at $1 million this year on the cap hit, but it ups the hit for 2026 even more than it already is ($9.98 million), so we're talking more than $15 million in dead cap if he's not re-signed that year. I'm still interested in seeing if they do something with his non-guaranteed base next year. $13 million is a huge chunk of non-guaranteed money. If he plays up to his usual All-Pro form, I'd still be trying to extend him next year, using guaranteeing that base as leverage.

Sydla

Reaction score
And again, pissing about Martin getting more money is just plain silly. Jerry making Martin happy will have no real implications long term on our cap, ability to add players, etc. The Cowboys don't spend in FA. They just don't. They don't really ever use all their cap space either. So Martin getting like $4MM more a year, increasing his cap hit by a few million isn't some sort of cap crushing move.

It's bizarre. I might buy into this if we are talking about Martin getting like 4 years tacked on his existing deal with big guarantees and base salaries over that period. But what Jerry did wasn't all that troublesome for our cap over the next couple of years.

Sydla

Reaction score
Math.

I like it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Meh everyone always says the same things. They said this when Zeke held out and got paid and look how that turned out. They said this when we gave Jaylon that insane extension. They said this when we gave Crawford that insane extension. The list is endless. The Dallas Cowboys very rarely ever end up on the right side of anything and it shows. We are a top heavy "star" powered roster that folds every year especially late in the year due to a lack of quality depth. But hey if you guys are happy because we are paying top dollar again for an OG then I guess that is all that matters. No reason not to change the way we operate as we are the franchise with the highest overall value after all.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And imagine getting pissy that Dallas rewarded one of their best players ever and it won’t really have much of an effect at overall roster decisions.
Exactly, almost like some here expect the Cowboys to basically win SBs with players on minimum contracts or that the franchise should fold. Honestly, Jerry (since they like to say that everyone who cheers what the team does is making Jerry smile) would love to pay his players as little as possible. I think that the players should receive what they earn. I think Martin's deal is a good one. It keeps our best olineman in place, and it makes the rest of the team happy. I think this is a win win.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There isn’t a team in the league that would let a player, who is definitely underpaid, who is among the very best in the league at their position, sit out the season.

They all would do something to rectify the situation. Get the guy’s money up to where it needs to be, and bring him in.

I’ve said it already, but I’ll say it again: this was always going to happen. There was never an outcome in play where Dallas lets Martin miss games. The team didn’t want him to miss. Martin didn’t want to miss. And fans in touch with reality didn’t want him to miss.

Just a small (but vocal) portion of the fan base wanted the team to play hardball with Zack. That never was going to happen. None of the NFL teams would have let that happen.

That we are 14 pages into this is just irrational. This was a foregone conclusion.

Not only that, but players like Martin are an insurance policy to protect your QB. I think Dak is probably the happiest person in Dallas about Martin getting this deal.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And if he didn't play, with OL depth, season pretty much over...

You pick and choose your spots and a first ballot HOFer who is still your best Offensive player and has never been anything but a great player, teammate and role model isn't the place to take a stand IMO
Dont you know that winning the draft bowl is the goal of the season? Psssh, must be new here

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I see you haven't read the thread. MyFairLady seemingly has an issue and is fretting that the extra $8MM we gave Martin could compromise roster construction.
Well… she’s easily frightened, I think. We can’t be upset at her about her fear…

Sydla

Reaction score
Meh everyone always says the same things. They said this when Zeke held out and got paid and look how that turned out. They said this when we gave Jaylon that insane extension. They said this when we gave Crawford that insane extension. The list is endless. The Dallas Cowboys very rarely ever end up on the right side of anything and it shows. We are a top heavy "star" powered roster that folds every year especially late in the year due to a lack of quality depth. But hey if you guys are happy because we are paying top dollar again for an OG then I guess that is all that matters. No reason not to change the way we operate as we are the franchise with the highest overall value after all.
Comparing Martin to Jaylon Smith, Zeke Elliott and Crawford is the first mistake in this analysis.

For starters, Martin is a significantly more accomplished player than any of the three at the times of their extension. In the case of Crawford and Smith, they tried to get them on the "cheap" after a good season thinking it would only get more expensive down the road. They guessed wrong on both. That isn't the case here with Martin. They aren't banking on just one good year here as to why they gave him more money.

Elliott played a position that the Cowboys even admitted sees fall off sooner than any other position. In all these cases, they were longer term extensions. Martin has no additional years, just more money that can be spread out over some dummy years already created by a prior restructure.

Martin was already on the books for the next two years. So you had him anyway, so the talk of star top heavy makes no sense in the context of Martin unless you just planned on cutting him between now and next season. The cap hits are manageable due to dummy years and don't be surprised if there is actually an extension this offseason to trim that cap hit for next year (which was high even before the new money).

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Salaries are subjective and not many know where the dollars actually go. I think it's foolish to not extend Martin even though I never cared for hold outs. So, in my opinion this better be a very complete version of Martin. We saw him struggle without Steele, so the perception changes a little with regard to expectations. I hope he stays healthy and pancakes everyone.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I see you haven't read the thread. MyFairLady seemingly has an issue and is fretting that the extra $8MM we gave Martin could compromise roster construction.
I said who would get pissy over that? Wasn't me. You just caught feelings.you should get that checked out

Rayman70

Reaction score
Haha no that’s not how it works. Super Bowls are team accomplishments. Player contracts are individual compensation based on performance based results. Martin has consistently been one of if not the best at his position in the league.

“The only win”?… he got a raise - a significant one. He was due 28m before he’s due 36 now. Stop with the pretzel logic and goal post moving. He held out, he got more money. He executed his leverage and he was the benefactor of it - you were wrong.

It’s ok. It happens.
wait a minute, all we been hearing since he began 2 hold out is, how we can't win and get 2 a SB without him? Whats changed since he signed? Sounds like the goal posts are getting moved further away 2 me. Cant have it both ways.