Reaction score
Changes:
Free (-5m)
Butler 1.1m
TWill 2.3m
Carroll 2m
Paea 2m
DMoore 800k

So there is plenty of cap space for draft picks remaining without even restructuring Dez or TCrawford.

We have essentially filled up the roster to 45 now not even including Moore, the DE who may be crazy.
Assuming 6 draft picks out of 7 sticking, we are at 51.

Highly doubt Stephen would pay for guys where they would need to be cut later on for the 53
May be Mo would come back cheap or some bargain DE.

Poor Texans cannot count on Cowboys needing Romo's cap space - which Jerry already said on his interview before the start of free agency...

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
You are right. We do not have to cut Romo due to cap but that was never the problem. It is this fake notion about doing the right thing for Romo.

We also can free up money by cutting Morris, Hanna and Wilber. All moves that could create more room without really affecting the team at all. IMO

waldoputty

Reaction score
You are right. We do not have to cut Romo due to cap but that was never the problem. It is this fake notion about doing the right thing for Romo.

We also can free up money by cutting Morris, Hanna and Wilber. All moves that could create more room without really affecting the team at all. IMO

morris and wilber makes sense.
if hanna is healthy, he would be a good player.
unfortunately it appears the knee has a serious issue.
i remember jerry was very negative about it late last season.
i actually believe jerry wants to be good to romo - if nothing else, what would other stars on the team think...

RamziD

Reaction score
Let's sign Ware and one of Claiborne/Carr and then focus on the draft

waldoputty

Reaction score
Hope they do not have to restructure T. Crawford.

He needs to have a good '17 or be cut/salary reduced next offseason.

depending on when and how the extensions for Collins and Martin are handled.
if they wait until season starts, obviously half the hit goes into 2018.

also if romo last past june 1, then another 9M opens up as half the dead money goes into 2018.

waldoputty

Reaction score

how is ware's back?
are DLs even the same after bulging disk surgery?
i am all for adding players, but i have no idea how ware is.

tm1119

Reaction score

Add a FA safety to that and I'm in. I don't want to rely on Heath and a rookie as our only starting options.

Sydla

Reaction score
WE will need to bring an OL in............. likely Cooper or someone else. Also, probably will still look at Claiborne or Carr.

So let's say $4-$5MM combined for bringing back an OL and one of Carr or Claiborne.

I guess they are not going to bring in a veteran DE again unless it's Ware and that should be cheap. Wilber saves $1.75MM if cut.

waldoputty

Reaction score
our needs that can be still helped by FA are: CB, S and RT - hard to say which is higher priority unless you are on the inside.
DE - Ware - just dont know. suspect any passrusher has been signed by now?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
all we can do is wait and see. Whoever is instilling their plan is going all in this year to implement it. Nothing to do but wait and at least, give it some time and due to see what comes of it. Yea thats PROBABLY not going to happen, but it sounded good.

waldoputty

Reaction score
WE will need to bring an OL in............. likely Cooper or someone else. Also, probably will still look at Claiborne or Carr.

So let's say $4-$5MM combined for bringing back an OL and one of Carr or Claiborne.

I guess they are not going to bring in a veteran DE again unless it's Ware and that should be cheap. Wilber saves $1.75MM if cut.

would much rather see a proper RT to protect one EDGE.
i think there may still be 1 or 2 left who were probably better than Free in pass blocking.
would rather sacrifice run blocking to protect the young franchise QB.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having great QB depth is a very good thing and something I always campaigned for when wanting to take a QB in the draft. It's the most important position on the field. Why is it the only one where great depth is a bad thing?

Unfortunately this is a situation where "doing right by Romo" and operating as the GM of the Dallas Cowboys is in direct conflict with one another.

Keep Romo. Unless you're offered enough in a trade to change your plans. Whatever Jerry said to him he lied. Life sucks. We'll all light a candle for the multi millionaire's plight.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Having great QB depth is a very good thing and something I always campaigned for when wanting to take a QB in the draft. It's the most important position on the field. Why is it the only one where great depth is a bad thing?

Unfortunately this is a situation where "doing right by Romo" and operating as the GM of he Dallas Cowboys is in direct conflict with one another.

Keep Romo. Unless you're offered enough in a trade to change your plans. Whatever Jerry said to him he lied. Life sucks. We'll all light a candle for the multi millionaire's plight.

it is a great thing unless the backup is extremely unhappy and causes division in the team.

also romo accounts for $50m in the cap in 2018 and 2019.
it is just too large to ignore.

romo's salary could bring in 2 probowlers on the defense.
though it is doubtful whether the cowboys would spend the $.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
it is a great thing unless the backup is extremely unhappy and causes division in the team.

also romo accounts for $50m in the cap in 2018 and 2019.
it is just too large to ignore.

romo's salary could bring in 2 probowlers on the defense.
though it is doubtful whether the cowboys would spend the $.

I've gotta say -- I was all for ridding ourselves of Romo's cap number when I was of the mindset that that money could, as you suggested, bring in two potential difference makers for the defense.

That boat seems to have sailed at the moment. I'd just keep Romo now and enjoy the depth, unless we are offered a substantial draft pick.

noletime95

Reaction score

Unfortunately this is a situation where "doing right by Romo" and operating as the GM of the Dallas Cowboys is in direct conflict with one another.

Can't pay 14 Million for the depth

waldoputty

Reaction score
I've gotta say -- I was all for ridding ourselves of Romo's cap number when I was of the mindset that that money could, as you suggested, bring in two potential difference makers for the defense.

That boat seems to have sailed at the moment. I'd just keep Romo now and enjoy the depth, unless we are offered a substantial draft pick.

if we keep romo for 2017, you push a lot of dead money into 2018 also.

i agree with you on the other point.
the FO's refusal to pay for competent FA defenders makes it difficult to say anything reasonable about roster planning.