Cowboys are Giving Pollard a Heavier Load than Zeke in '22

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't know that 2022 is the best season to use when comparing Pollard's current season.

I believe that the 2022 season was when the Cowboys admitted what they didn't want to, that Zeke was winding down in a big way. His carries were slowly, but systematically, decreased and some replaced by short yardage duties. This had actually been going on through the two previous seasons as Zeke's average yards per carry began dropping.

The 2022 season was a transitional season for both RB's, Pollard's carries were increased while Zeke's continued to drop.

Let's also consider the age difference.

Typical examples of Zeke normal loads throughout a season would be 2017-2019 about 300 carries or about 19 carries a game. During that same period, he averaged about 55 receptions or three and a half a game.

From 2017-2019 Zeke averaged 143 carries for 634 yards and 5 TD's in his first seven games combined. He also averaged 19 receptions for 170 yards and 1 TD.

That's over 20 carries and 3 receptions a game for 23 touches, producing an average of 114.8 yards a game of productivity....over a three year period.

After all, we want to compare Pollard to some of Zeke's best seasons and not his worse. correct?

T-RO

Reaction score
Tony Pollard's biggest college season: 78 carries, 39 receptions. That's 117 touches in 14 games his senior season - barely over 8 touches a game. That's who he is.
I disagree.

If Pollard's college profile and usage defined and limited him he'd never be the huge success that he's been. By any reasonable measurement...stats, PFF scores, TDs, ball security, opinion of experts...Pollard's been awesome.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
At this point I’d like to see Dowdle much more. He runs hard and can lesson the load on Tony.

It looks like everyone that said he wasn’t and everydown back were right. Or maybe it’s his injury-?
Or maybe the run blocking schemes are trash and blocking 4 guys with 3 linemen isn’t a good idea.

plymkr

Reaction score
Big Mike did say he wanted to cut down on scoring points (a bold strategy and we’ll see if it pays off) and increase the runs.

I guess he’s doing his plan.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
For better or worse the coaches are giving Tony about the same number of carries, but 3x-4x the load as a receiver in the passing game. And Tony is playing about 8 snaps more per game than Zeke did last year.
I'm not allways a Jones' Conspiracy Theorist, however, you'd imagine them getting involved saying, ...."If we're paying X (in this instance Pollard), you'll make sure he's used (so we get value for money)", as we know the problem is using them incorrectly diminishes their overall impact as it wear's them out and they're not a surprise impact.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don't know why the images aren't downscaling to fit the browser. This has worked in the past.

In short, I compared Zeke's first 7 games in 2022 w/Pollards first 7 games in 2023...

For better or worse the coaches are giving Tony about the same number of carries, but 3x-4x the load as a receiver in the passing game. And Tony is playing about 8 snaps more per game than Zeke did last year.
I don’t think they have a choice.

Rico has a 3.8x ypa

DVaughn has a 2.0 ypa

Scrubs.

shabazz

Reaction score
Here are some reports I generated...

RB_TonyUse2023.jpg

RB_ZekeUse2022.jpg
I surprised that there aren’t more threads concerned with our rushing production. The last few years we have seen tons of threads debating Zeke vs Pollard but running game was strong.

Presently our Cowboys are ranked 19th in yards per carry and that includes our quartbacks runs which historically are higher than a running backs.

Am I the only one that sees a giant red flag here? The new offense was supposed to be predicated on a powerful running game and short timely passes.

Our 4 main conference rivals, the Seahawks, Eagles, Niners and Lions are all more productive in the running games…..I know our GM isn’t concerned about it but we should be.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Shows how weak the run scheme or blocking is regardless of running back.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I still don’t understand why they don’t rotate Rico more and put Luepke in some of those goal line runs.

Rico looked better than Pollard against the Niners. I hope they remember that in this Eagles game.
Most backs need a certain number of carries to get into the flow of the game, I am not, and never was, a fan of having running backs go in and out of games like the water boy. A back like Zeke can wear down a defense, but not if he only has 10-12 carries.

Though the league is geared towards passing, not saying that a team should run a back 30 times a game (except maybe in games with a big lead late and you're just burning clock), but depending on the back, like Zeke and Henry, 10-12 is too few....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Regardless of the reason, it's disappointing that last year Zeke ran about 15 times a game, with a ypc of 3.9, whereas Pollard so far this year is running about 15 times a game, with a ypc of 3.9. And Zeke scored 0.8 tds a game rushing, whereas Pollard is scoring only about 0.3 tds per game.

The run game is no better with Pollard than with Zeke last year, that needs to change....

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Most backs need a certain number of carries to get into the flow of the game, I am not, and never was, a fan of having running backs go in and out of games like the water boy. A back like Zeke can wear down a defense, but not if he only has 10-12 carries.

Though the league is geared towards passing, not saying that a team should run a back 30 times a game (except maybe in games with a big lead late and you're just burning clock), but depending on the back, like Zeke and Henry, 10-12 is too few....
Pollard had a sweet spot and he broke when we went over it. LOL. (Or injury recovery stifling him, cause Coach Mack keeps swearing he’s a workhorse back in his PCs). With some guys I would agree with you, not with Pollard. He was doing just fine last year with 10-15 carries.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
There is no longer such a thing in modern football as an "every down back". Every team now has two backs to share the load...or three.

The closest exception is the broken Tennessee Titans. And yeah..the "King" weighs 245 with insane speed...and the Titans are still hopelessly broken.
Even though they lost last night they had a good accounting of the team. Rookie qb looked the part but the penalties killed drives and stalled drives all night. King Henry sure would look good with a star on his helmet I must say with Pollard spelling him like Spears does now in TN.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
We went back to more play action this past game and the overall passing attack was much more effective.

I think we’ll see a much more productive Pollard provided our passing game can keep defenses honest.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Here are some reports I generated...

RB_TonyUse2023.jpg

RB_ZekeUse2022.jpg
Yes it's not like we haven't noticed and we've said since game one it's too much Tony power cannot be as explosive or be himself getting this kind of load.... Somebody needs to come to the conclusion that Ezekiel Elliott was really good for Tony Pollard.. He's nowhere near himself...

And by the way if you separate this out to the first eight games of 2021 and 2022 for Ezekiel Elliott in the first eight games for Tony Pollard, you'll find out Ezekiel Elliott was more effective before his injuries.. He was running at like 4.8 yards per carry..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Pollard had a sweet spot and he broke when we went over it. LOL. (Or injury recovery stifling him, cause Coach Mack keeps swearing he’s a workhorse back in his PCs). With some guys I would agree with you, not with Pollard. He was doing just fine last year with 10-15 carries.
Tony Pollard said he can handle it, I mean what was the old saying he had about call it ill haul it... lol

yes he's being used too much in short yardage and normal run between a Tackles plays

but hey everyone said he should be running back one they literally wanted the guy to be the starter,

they said he earned it they said that zeke Elliot was cheating him on the goal line and that all those touchdown zeke scored Tony could score I don't see it... wake up call for Tony Pollard he is not that same back,

that's why there are different levels of back some are like Elliot, and some are like Tony Pollard and Kamara guys like that you need to put them in more of a change of pace situation fresh legs...