Cowboys are Giving Pollard a Heavier Load than Zeke in '22

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
There is no longer such a thing in modern football as an "every down back". Every team now has two backs to share the load...or three.

The closest exception is the broken Tennessee Titans. And yeah..the "King" weighs 245 with insane speed...and the Titans are still hopelessly broken.
So we’re paying Pollard $10 million dollars to be part of a running back by committee?

blueblood70

Reaction score
At this point I’d like to see Dowdle much more. He runs hard and can lesson the load on Tony.

It looks like everyone that said he wasn’t and everydown back were right. Or maybe it’s his injury-?
i agree and also hunter needs some extra carries as well...

blueblood70

Reaction score
So we’re paying Pollard $10 million dollars to be part of a running back by committee?
Well at this point it doesn't matter about the money if you see he's not as effective with this many snaps then you have to pull back you can't be about how much money you make so you get forced on the field.... I'd rather have him be on the field 10 less total snaps carries blocking and going out for passes and save him for bigger moments and bigger games where he has some explosiveness he has none he literally is actually underperforming even compared to Ezekiel elliott's first eight games of the first half of the last two years... Elliott was nearly one yard per carry better plus more touchdowns...

Tony Pollard is much more effective as the change of pace back he could still take the bulk of the carries but not the ones that are keeping him on the field and not getting him back fresh

Loso86

Reaction score
Here are some reports I generated...

RB_TonyUse2023.jpg

RB_ZekeUse2022.jpg
That's what most of the fans wanted right!?

SackMaster

Reaction score
I don't know why the images aren't downscaling to fit the browser. This has worked in the past.

In short, I compared Zeke's first 7 games in 2022 w/Pollards first 7 games in 2023...

For better or worse the coaches are giving Tony about the same number of carries, but 3x-4x the load as a receiver in the passing game. And Tony is playing about 8 snaps more per game than Zeke did last year.
Well considering the Cowboys are apparently running a variant of the WCO, it would make sense we are using the running backs in the passing game more.

I can hear John Madden's voice now: "Quick throws to the RBs are like an extension of the running game." (Or something like that)
:laugh:

blueblood70

Reaction score
That's what most of the fans wanted right!?
Be careful what you wish for grass is not always greener most of us told or should I say warned this was gonna happen if anybody needed any precursors like a warning Tony Pollard finished the season the same way 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns 51 yards per game no explosive plays this started last year he got hurt twice in that span over the last five games and this has nothing to do with his injury this has most to do with he's being given too many carries especially inside the tackles on short yardage and goal line everybody said he was cheated out of all those touchdowns and most of us said it's not that easy to score or get short yardage when everybody's lining up goal line type defense...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Don't watch them much, but it doesn't appear to me the Pats' line is as good as Dallas' line, which makes Pollard's numbers even worse.

Of course if the lines are about the same, that wouldn't apply, I'm just noting the possibility.
Yeah that's the thing now I have Steve blocked but his information is good because think about this if Ezekiel Elliott who had 4.8 yards per carry here the last two first halves of the 21/22 season preinjury..

So what it tells us is they were good for each other Ezekiel Elliott was making too much money but he took a lot of pressure off Tony Pollard or Tony Pollard can come in and be Tony Pollard with fresher legs he gets to see what it's really like being the number one running back cause it's not just about carries it's how long are you on the field blocking running routes being a decoy I mean yeah wear you you out... So technically Tony Pollard is the worst starting running back then Ezekiel Elliott in this offense I mean the proof is there I mean again you have to go pre injury but he was really good in the first half the first eight games of the last two seasons before he got hit in that knee...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We went back to more play action this past game and the overall passing attack was much more effective.

I think we’ll see a much more productive Pollard provided our passing game can keep defenses honest.
Is Mike that smart?

We'll see...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for grass is not always greener most of us told or should I say warned this was gonna happen
Yes, and I also warned about that, not that I was certain of that, but there's half a season left, plenty of time for things to get better.

Or worse, of course, hate to bring that up but with this team you never know what will happen...

Loso86

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for grass is not always greener most of us told or should I say warned this was gonna happen if anybody needed any precursors like a warning Tony Pollard finished the season the same way 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns 51 yards per game no explosive plays this started last year he got hurt twice in that span over the last five games and this has nothing to do with his injury this has most to do with he's being given too many carries especially inside the tackles on short yardage and goal line everybody said he was cheated out of all those touchdowns and most of us said it's not that easy to score or get short yardage when everybody's lining up goal line type defense...
Oh trust me I know, I've been saying this whole time 20 isn't that guy that can get 20 consistent carries and remain explosive. He is a great change of pace but not an everydown

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Don't watch them much, but it doesn't appear to me the Pats' line is as good as Dallas' line, which makes Pollard's numbers even worse.

Of course if the lines are about the same, that wouldn't apply, I'm just noting the possibility.
The Pats line is terrible. Stevenson averaged 4.6 in 2021 and 5.0 last year.. This year he is averaging 3.2. A dropoff of nearly 2 yards per tote. I don't know what happened to their line but they have fallen completely off the map. It's a minor miracle that Zeke is knocking on the door or 4 ypc behind that bunch. Mac Jones stinkin up the joint isn't helping either.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They have to replace RB1 in the next draft.

It's not working.

There should be more cap $$$ for the RBs.

Tony will be UFA.

Zeke still has 6 mil in dead cap for 2024 though.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

"And right now defenses are gearing up to stop one person, Tony Pollard, in the run game. Therefore they're focusing on him week in and week out, like they did with Ezekiel Elliott, and he's slowing down his running game and McCarthy's only enhancing it by not creating opportunities for Pollard to get the ball in certain spaces. And that's McCarthy. That has nothing to do with Tony Pollard. Because given the opportunities, he's going to make plays. And we see him make some plays, just not the big plays that we were accustomed to seeing him make last year. Because some of those plays came in special situations and they called the right play at the right time and they set the defense the way they needed. They had what they needed to have and he made explosive plays. They can do the same thing with him in the number one position, they've just got to focus on it and find ways to get that man the ball."

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Here are some reports I generated...

RB_TonyUse2023.jpg

RB_ZekeUse2022.jpg
That's because we have no one we want out there this year as much as we did Pollard last year. Some fans here scream for Dowdle to get more carries, but it isn't like Dowdle is tearing it up. He's averaging just 3.8 per carry in a role where Pollard averaged 5.2 last year.

The Cowboys did a very poor job of planning at running back this year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why they don’t rotate Rico more and put Luepke in some of those goal line runs.

Rico looked better than Pollard against the Niners. I hope they remember that in this Eagles game.
Rico has had one game where he averaged more that 4.0 yards per carry, and only three games where he's average at least 4.0. Against the Niners, he averaged 3.0 per carry. He is not the answer.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't know why the images aren't downscaling to fit the browser. This has worked in the past.

In short, I compared Zeke's first 7 games in 2022 w/Pollards first 7 games in 2023...

For better or worse the coaches are giving Tony about the same number of carries, but 3x-4x the load as a receiver in the passing game. And Tony is playing about 8 snaps more per game than Zeke did last year.
You tend to worry too much about the tech dtails. guess we get to to see some live coverage nation wide for this brew ha ha...
Dallas going to spank Philly, how is that for bold predictions.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Pollard hasn't been explosive. It shows.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

You are ignoring the fact that Zeke was playing on an injured PCL which limited his snaps. Also, he rested during most of the final game.