Cowboys are not going to have a top 5 pick

Cowboyny

Reaction score
When you look at the remaining 5 games left on the schedule, Cowboys are extremely unlikely to lose out:

at Baltimore-mash unit with all the covid, but still consider a loss.
at Cincy-they are tanking and are starting a Dinucci level QB. Could be a blowout win for the Cowboys
49ers-good zone running team has given us issues, expect a loss
Philly-they have a better chance of losing out then we do, 50/50 we win
at Giants-a lot will depend upon if the division is wrapped up, nothing to play for we seen the Cowboys win. Another 50/50 game.

0 Wins is highly unlikely
1 to 3 more wins is very possible

3 teams including the Cowboys have 3 wins. (Eagles are 1 of the teams, with a crazy hard schedule)
6 teams have 4 wins (this goes all the way to the 12 draft slot)
4 team have 5 wins (this goes all the way to picking # 16)

As it stands now, I believe a better draft projection would be in that 7-12 range with just 1 more win. Let's see if the Giants or the Washington Football Team pulls away, where the late games would become meaningless and are up for grabs, which could hurt our slotting. Still a long way to go, but I feel projecting a top 5 pick is just not realistic to expect.

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm really not convinced by this. I don't think you're appraising the Cowboys right, and I believe our record will likely result in a top 5 pick.

We have nothing to play for and an awful OL. We won't be able to score and our defense couldn't stop my grandma, let alone whoever the scrub is that the Bengals are starting.

Eagles, Giants, Niners, B-more. All losses. We'll see about Cincy. I see us going 4-12. That's usually enough for a top 5 pick. Last year, Dolphins were 5-11 and picked 5.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm really not convinced by this. I don't think you're appraising the Cowboys right, and I believe our record will likely result in a top 5 pick.

We have nothing to play for and an awful OL. We won't be able to score and our defense couldn't stop my grandma, let alone whoever the scrub is that the Bengals are starting.

Eagles, Giants, Niners, B-more. All losses. We'll see about Cincy. I see us going 4-12. That's usually enough for a top 5 pick. Last year, Dolphins were 5-11 and picked 5.

Just look at the standings, many bad teams this season. I disagree that they have nothing to play for as they are still in the divisional race, even after their Thanksgiving Loss. Have the easiest remaining schedule and still have 2 division games left on their schedule.

Bowdown27

Reaction score

I agree. Bengals backup barely lost to the giants w colt mccoy at qb. They’ll keep it close with us. That’s the only game I can see them winning. The niners just beat the Rams. Niners are close to getting into the playoffs so they’ll play hard. Division games we suck this year so seems likely we lost 4 out 5 imo

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Id bet alot of money were picking top 5. The oline is terrible and the qb immobile.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Just look at the standings, many bad teams this season. I disagree that they have nothing to play for as they are still in the divisional race, even after their Thanksgiving Loss. Have the easiest remaining schedule and still have 2 division games left on their schedule.

Per a just out article on Sporting News website, Cowboys are currently at no. 4. Who could lose more than Dallas, and so jump over us into the 5th or higher pick? Probably the Eagles, before the game last night they were picked to have the best chance to win the East, which to me was ridiculous. Did the people that said that look at their schedule?
Seahawks, Packers, Saints and Cardinals were the next 4 games, those teams before last night had a combined record of 30-13.

I agree with Chris Simms, he was asked who he thought had the best chance to win the East, and he said Washington. They have a very good "bus driver" quarterback in Smith, stout defensive line and good running game. That will carry you to wins, or at least keep you close in games a lot of the time.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The team (especially the defense) plays better when there is no pressure on them, which is a fancy way of saying they do not play well with pressure/expectations.

They could easily win 2 games down the stretch and there is a logjam of 3 or 4 win teams so we could easily drop into a later pick as the OP suggests.

Perfect Caleb Farey territory.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But realistically, it's not going to matter much if they pick 6th, or 7th or 8th or even 9th. There aren't just 8 really good prospects in ths draft, Cowboys need help at so many positions, if they draft properly they can get somebody that will improve the team..

PFF has CB Patrick Surtain II at no. 17, "he's allowed only 10 catches from 21 targets for 110 yards for the season." No doubt Cowboys could use better corners, just an example of one player who is ranked well below no. 5 that could be of great value to Dallas.

One player, even Trevor Lawrence, isn't turning this team into a contender by himself...

stilltheguru

Reaction score
But realistically, it's not going to matter much if they pick 6th, or 7th or 8th or even 9th. There aren't just 8 really good prospects in ths draft, Cowboys need help at so many positions, if they draft properly they can get somebody that will improve the team..

PFF has CB Patrick Surtain II at no. 17, "he's allowed only 10 catches from 21 targets for 110 yards for the season." No doubt Cowboys could use better corners, just an example of one player who is ranked well below no. 5 that could be of great value to Dallas.

One player, even Trevor Lawrence, isn't turning this team into a contender by himself...
17 is ok for him. That top 5-10 talk is absurd.

cnuball21

Reaction score
When you look at the remaining 5 games left on the schedule, Cowboys are extremely unlikely to lose out:

at Baltimore-mash unit with all the covid, but still consider a loss.
at Cincy-they are tanking and are starting a Dinucci level QB. Could be a blowout win for the Cowboys
49ers-good zone running team has given us issues, expect a loss
Philly-they have a better chance of losing out then we do, 50/50 we win
at Giants-a lot will depend upon if the division is wrapped up, nothing to play for we seen the Cowboys win. Another 50/50 game.

0 Wins is highly unlikely
1 to 3 more wins is very possible

3 teams including the Cowboys have 3 wins. (Eagles are 1 of the teams, with a crazy hard schedule)
6 teams have 4 wins (this goes all the way to the 12 draft slot)
4 team have 5 wins (this goes all the way to picking # 16)

As it stands now, I believe a better draft projection would be in that 7-12 range with just 1 more win. Let's see if the Giants or the Washington Football Team pulls away, where the late games would become meaningless and are up for grabs, which could hurt our slotting. Still a long way to go, but I feel projecting a top 5 pick is just not realistic to expect.

Losing Martin and Erving doesn't help the cause. Top 5 might be tough but I don't think it'll be too far off from there.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter if they finish 3rd pr 6th, it matters who is ahead of them. They lose any leverage to trade down if it goes something like:

NYJ
JAX
CIN
CAR
WAS
DAL

The key is getting in front of the teams who might draft a QB. We should be rooting for CAR, WAS, DET, ATL and DEN all to win games.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter if they finish 3rd pr 6th, it matters who is ahead of them. They lose any leverage to trade down if it goes something like:

NYJ
JAX
CIN
CAR
WAS
DAL

The key is getting in front of the teams who might draft a QB. We should be rooting for CAR, WAS, DET, ATL and DEN all to win games.

Well if we're picking 3 we can land Sewell which I think is pretty huge. But yea, having QB needy teams picking behind us would also be huge if we're looking to trade down.

Xavier187

Reaction score
The Philly giants are toss ups. It depends on what they do from here to when its that time to go for the top seed or not.

So those are the iffy.

Bengals is a win.
49ers and Ravens they should beat us badly.

If the Eagles finally think Hurts will be the starter very soon

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Losing Martin and Erving doesn't help the cause. Top 5 might be tough but I don't think it'll be too far off from there.
After watching Cincy last week, I would be shocked if the Cowboys lost to them. Those divisional games look like a total toss-up. We also have to factor in if a team like the Giants rest their starters against us if the division has been already decided.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We will beat Philly and Cincy

Philly stopped Seattle twice on 4th down in the first half. (Didn't watch second half). Despite having Wilson at quarterback. Cox reams Dallas a new one nearly every time they play. And Philly hates Dallas, plus division games are always tough.

Might beat Cincy, think they'll be tanking now that Burrow is out, he showed enough for them to know they can build around him, get receivers/o-line players to help him.

Also beating Philly is possible IF Philly is down below Dallas by that time, highly likely given their tough next 3 games against NO, etc. Philly may tank also. Not that they'd admit that, of course.

It seldom plays out like it's thought, about the only certainty is uncertainty...

Cowboyny

Reaction score

NYJ
JAX
CIN
CAR
WAS
DAL

Totally agree. We need QB needy teams to be behind our selection to have any chance of a trade back. We know Cincy never trades and will not be taking a QB.