Cowboys are not going to have a top 5 pick

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Totally agree. We need QB needy teams to be behind our selection to have any chance of a trade back. We know Cincy never trades and will not be taking a QB.

Jags MIGHT beat Vikings and Bears. But that's only getting them to 3 wins, and they're strength of schedule is above Dallas. Dallas already has 3 wins and likely gets one more at least, again depending on if other teams tank. Certainly Jags will take Lawrence.

Of course that's what most of us know that's what some here are talking about when they are discusing draft order - they don't want Dak back and think Lawrence is the savior of the Dallas Cowboys, any way to get Lawrence is fine with them....

texbumthelife

Reaction score
When you look at the remaining 5 games left on the schedule, Cowboys are extremely unlikely to lose out:

at Baltimore-mash unit with all the covid, but still consider a loss.
at Cincy-they are tanking and are starting a Dinucci level QB. Could be a blowout win for the Cowboys
49ers-good zone running team has given us issues, expect a loss
Philly-they have a better chance of losing out then we do, 50/50 we win
at Giants-a lot will depend upon if the division is wrapped up, nothing to play for we seen the Cowboys win. Another 50/50 game.

0 Wins is highly unlikely
1 to 3 more wins is very possible

3 teams including the Cowboys have 3 wins. (Eagles are 1 of the teams, with a crazy hard schedule)
6 teams have 4 wins (this goes all the way to the 12 draft slot)
4 team have 5 wins (this goes all the way to picking # 16)

As it stands now, I believe a better draft projection would be in that 7-12 range with just 1 more win. Let's see if the Giants or the Washington Football Team pulls away, where the late games would become meaningless and are up for grabs, which could hurt our slotting. Still a long way to go, but I feel projecting a top 5 pick is just not realistic to expect.

This is how I've felt for a while. The Cowboys will back their way into a pick in the low teens. Which, honestly, is probably better than picking 5th because the value is more appropriate in this draft. I have no doubt they will screw up a top-5 pick since there really isn't a consensus of the top-5 players or even 5 blue-chip talents.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Do you see their QB play?

Wentz cant even hit open receivers

I think Wentz is getting gun shy, he's been whacked so much this year, on pace for 66 or so sacks this year. And that's hard to fix, David Carr's career was largely ruined due to that, got sacked and hit so much. Remains to be seen if it's going to be a continuing problem...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter if they finish 3rd pr 6th, it matters who is ahead of them. They lose any leverage to trade down if it goes something like:

NYJ
JAX
CIN
CAR
WAS
DAL

The key is getting in front of the teams who might draft a QB. We should be rooting for CAR, WAS, DET, ATL and DEN all to win games.

Jacksonville isn't winning 3 more games, pretty sure they will take Lawrence if the Jets don't, so if you're angling to get Lawrence, probably ain't happening.

But who knows? Crazier things have happened...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Jacksonville isn't winning 3 more games, pretty sure they will take Lawrence if the Jets don't, so if you're angling to get Lawrence, probably ain't happening.

What? No. I'm talking about being able to trade down.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm really not convinced by this. I don't think you're appraising the Cowboys right, and I believe our record will likely result in a top 5 pick.

We have nothing to play for and an awful OL. We won't be able to score and our defense couldn't stop my grandma, let alone whoever the scrub is that the Bengals are starting.

Eagles, Giants, Niners, B-more. All losses. We'll see about Cincy. I see us going 4-12. That's usually enough for a top 5 pick. Last year, Dolphins were 5-11 and picked 5.

Did you watch Philly last night?

They had 4 yards of offense with 4 minutes to go in the half against a really bad Seattle defense.

We will probably beat the Bengals and Eagles and screw ourselves out of a top 5 pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
Philly dline against our oline?

Philly was woeful last night. I mean they had five straight three and outs to start the game and their first drive started 1st and 5 after Seattle jumped offsides.

We would have beaten them in Philly a few weeks ago if Dalton or Gilbert had played. They suck. I mean they really, really suck.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Did you watch Philly last night?

They had 4 yards of offense with 4 minutes to go in the half against a really bad Seattle defense.

We will probably beat the Bengals and Eagles and screw ourselves out of a top 5 pick.

Well the Eagles game, being a division game, you can throw out records and who did what to which team whenever.

Personally I think our o-line, and quarterback, will get massacred by Cox and the Philly defense. I can easily see us losing due to a pick 6 or punt return for a td or safety or fumble recovery on the Dallas 2 yard line, etc.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I think you underestimate how BAD this team is without Zack Martin. They've got no chance out there without him...the Bengals game may be a toss-up but that's about it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is how I've felt for a while. The Cowboys will back their way into a pick in the low teens. Which, honestly, is probably better than picking 5th because the value is more appropriate in this draft. I have no doubt they will screw up a top-5 pick since there really isn't a consensus of the top-5 players or even 5 blue-chip talents.
Unless they have a pick that could be a trade chip, you almost would have to overdraft due to lack of high end talent in this class, except Sewell.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Unless they have a pick that could be a trade chip, you almost would have to overdraft due to lack of high end talent in this class, except Sewell.

Exactly my thoughts as well. My nightmare is they get robbed in a trade back and then reach to fill a hole.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well the Eagles game, being a division game, you can throw out records and who did what to which team whenever.

Personally I think our o-line, and quarterback, will get massacred by Cox and the Philly defense. I can easily see us losing due to a pick 6 or punt return for a td or safety or fumble recovery on the Dallas 2 yard line, etc.

The Philly defense is hit or miss. And we would have won a few weeks ago even with a banged up OL if we had better QB play than DiNucci.

You guys counting that as a loss are going to be disappointed.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The Philly defense is hit or miss. And we would have won a few weeks ago even with a banged up OL if we had better QB play than DiNucci.

You guys counting that as a loss are going to be disappointed.

Please note the first part of my comment. Division games are unpredictable.

And secondly I did not "count" that as a loss, I said I "think", meaning I'm leaning toward a loss, but I'm not saying the Cowboys couldn't win.

And why would I be disappointed with a loss? I have never been one of those here who want to lose out just to get the highest possible draft pick, or want to win every game just to maybe getting blown out in the first round of the playoffs, if the Cowboys even get there. They could win out, but if Washington and NY do also, Cowboys ain't making the playoffs.

I've specifically said I am watching the games and just accepting what happens, be it a loss or win.

Saying I see a probable loss doesn't mean I would enjoy it...

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
After watching Cincy last week, I would be shocked if the Cowboys lost to them. Those divisional games look like a total toss-up. We also have to factor in if a team like the Giants rest their starters against us if the division has been already decided.

Be prepared to be shocked then. As numerous people have stated before me, this team has NOTHING left to play for. The o-line will be unrecognizable by the time this game rolls around. Jaylon can only go down from here :rolleyes:. Dalton, if still standing, will be returning to the only team that he's known, prior to this season, and will be spending more time playing catch-up w/ his old buddies than he will preparing for the freak show to start. And lastly, Jaylon will be staring. Did I mention how bad Jaylon is?

I'm more likely to go w/ an L here and a W against the Iggles. If you thought Jaylon flat out stinks then you haven't been watching Wentz this year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Be prepared to be shocked then. As numerous people have stated before me, this team has NOTHING left to play for. The o-line will be unrecognizable by the time this game rolls around. Jaylon can only go down from here :rolleyes:. Dalton, if still standing, will be returning to the only team that he's known, prior to this season, and will be spending more time playing catch-up w/ his old buddies than he will preparing for the freak show to start. And lastly, Jaylon will be staring. Did I mention how bad Jaylon is?

I'm more likely to go w/ an L here and a W against the Iggles. If you thought Jaylon flat out stinks then you haven't been watching Wentz this year.

I am curious as to how Dalton will do, revenge is a powerful motive, though I also think Dalton understands after his time with the Bungles, and having Burrow available, that most any team would have released him. And really, other than run a lot, not sure there's much Dalton can do, personally, to extract revenge on the Bungles. Possibly he can give the Dallas defense some "inside info" on the Bungles defense, but not even sure that the Bungles still run substantially the same defense as last year.

I could see a Dallas win or a Cincy win, there's no compelling evidence to point either way, just a lot of maybes...

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I am curious as to how Dalton will do, revenge is a powerful motive, though I also think Dalton understands after his time with the Bungles, and having Burrow available, that most any team would have released him. And really, other than run a lot, not sure there's much Dalton can do, personally, to extract revenge on the Bungles. Possibly he can give the Dallas defense some "inside info" on the Bungles defense, but not even sure that the Bungles still run substantially the same defense as last year.

I could see a Dallas win or a Cincy win, there's no compelling evidence to point either way, just a lot of maybes...

Absolutely agree. At the time, it looked as if the Bengals were doing Dalton a favor by letting him go to a much better team/organization and closer to his home. It looked like the perfect ending to a good, albeit not great, career. Sit behind Dak, make a bunch more cash, all while playing near home with the possibility of getting that ring. Then the poor guy woke up. :lmao:

baltcowboy

Reaction score

You know what would be funny and I would not put it past Bellichick. When the Patriots play the Jets again. New England tanks the game. The Jets get one win and Jacksonville gets the first pick in the draft. I would be ROTF......

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
They will finish 5-11 and pick somewhere b/t #5-#10. Based on what I'm reading, there's not a whole lot of difference in the players picked in that range. What you miss out on the lower you fall is the opportunity to trade back with a team desperate for a QB.