Cowboys Are Not High on Fairley

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Hard to believe that we wouldn't take a shot at this guy at #40. Of course, Mosley knows that we'll never have the chance, so his outrageous claim can't be tested.

basstapp

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch this kid. With all the bad PR the cowboys get anyway, you really don't need a player with the issues he has.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
why would they take a shot on him? He doesn't fit the scheme. Fairley can't play in a 3-4.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
supercowboy8;3917860 said:
why would they take a shot on him? He doesn't fit the scheme. Fairley can't play in a 3-4.

If we have a scheme where we can't use a player like him we should change the scheme.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
tideh20heel;3917861 said:
If we have a scheme where we can't use a player like him we should change the scheme.

change the scheme that we just hired a DC to run. A DC that is known to have a great scheme, we should change it so a one year wonder 4-3 DT can play for us. No thanks, I have Ryan as my DC, I want his 3-4 scheme and Fairley doesn't fit a 3-4.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
supercowboy8;3917860 said:

In Wade Phillips' 3-4? Questionable.

But Ryan will probably be a lot more exotic. He will use less of a base 3 on the line and will move players around as he sees fit. His lack of experience will not be a detriment for the most part.

With that in mind, I think his fit for the defense is less of a concern for Dallas as his questionable work ethic.

If there is one thing Garrett appeared to instill last season was a low tolerance for slackers and half-speed players. The fact Fairley was obscure until last year has to weigh heavy on his mind.

If there is one thing you see from most of the players we have been linked to, there are few, if any, "red flag" players.

Fairley is a "red flag" player.

burmafrd

Reaction score
You do not change the scheme for ONE player. Unless that player is ALL world like a LT. Fairley ain't THAT good.

And the word has been very consistent that he is really a mess mentally.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Alexander;3917881 said:
In Wade Phillips' 3-4? Questionable.
I think Fairley would've been a better fit in Wade's system than in Rob's, but I agree that the real problem probably has nothing to do with scheme, but Fairley's character. The guy has Hayenesworth type bust potential.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
supercowboy8;3917869 said:
Fairley doesn't fit a 3-4.

Pure nonsense. He has prototypical size and speed for a five technique. Combine that with his natural athleticism, which is through the roof, and Rob Ryan's talent for adjusting his schemes to fit his players' strengths and I guarantee you we'd be able to find room for this guy in our 34 defense.

I'm not advocating taking the kid at #9, but at #40 it's extremely hard to believe that we wouldn't consider him.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
supercowboy8;3917869 said:
change the scheme that we just hired a DC to run. A DC that is known to have a great scheme, we should change it so a one year wonder 4-3 DT can play for us. No thanks, I have Ryan as my DC, I want his 3-4 scheme and Fairley doesn't fit a 3-4.

I didn't know you had a conversation with Rob where he said that. My bad. I don't advocate getting rid Ryan because he has never coached a down here and is a great coach. A strength of the Ryans has been putting players in positions to make plays. I am sure he is innovative enough to utilize players of that talent level. Great coaches don't pidgeon hole players. Who is narrow thinking enough to see that as an either/or choice.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
burmafrd;3917885 said:
You do not change the scheme for ONE player. Unless that player is ALL world like a LT. Fairley ain't THAT good.

And the word has been very consistent that he is really a mess mentally.

I am a Tar Heel and many of my friends from LT's era harken back to the pillar of mental stability that was/is Lawrence Taylor. Fairley is a very good player.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
tideh20heel;3917902 said:
I didn't know you had a conversation with Rob where he said that. My bad. I don't advocate getting rid Ryan because he has never coached a down here and is a great coach. A strength of the Ryans has been putting players in positions to make plays. I am sure he is innovative enough to utilize players of that talent level. Great coaches don't pidgeon hole players. Who is narrow thinking enough to see that as an either/or choice.

really, you should know that.

IF dallas doesn't like Fairley then don't you think its because Ryan doesn't like him. Why else would they not be high on him. Ryan tells Jerry I can't use him. He is a 3rd down DT in my scheme only, we need a every down player at pick 9. Thats why they aren't high on him. Do you even understand the 3-4 and what players do. Fairley's style of play is not that of a 3-4 DE and is to small to play NT and doesn't clog the lanes. He doesn't fit the 3-4. He is a 4-3 DT only. You don't have to talk to Ryan to figure that out, just have to have some football IQ.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Outlaw Heroes;3917896 said:
Pure nonsense. He has prototypical size and speed for a five technique. Combine that with his natural athleticism, which is through the roof, and Rob Ryan's talent for adjusting his schemes to fit his players' strengths and I guarantee you we'd be able to find room for this guy in our 34 defense.

I'm not advocating taking the kid at #9, but at #40 it's extremely hard to believe that we wouldn't consider him.

haha, stop looking at size, do you know what the role of a 3-4 DE is. Fairley is an attacking 4-3 DT. Fairley is not a 3-4 DE. I love it when people look at a payers size and not the way they play. Fairley is not a 5 technique player. He is a one gap DT.

you guys crack me up, I'm done with this

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Fairley's burst onto the college football scene last season raised a lot of questions about where he came from and what happened to change him from a non-descript player to a top 5 pick?

In addition to the character questions teams have, I believe there is concern with some NFL teams about possible illegal performance enhancing substances.

There is an article from Yahoo Sports about a manufacturer of a "chip" that is taped to the players skin that is supposed to increase a player's endurance and performance. Auburn players are quoted as saying they used them last season and saw remarkable results in endurance and performance. They even said they used them in the BCS Championship game. Here is the link...

http://www.thepostgame.com/features...-auburn-tied-controversial-supplement-company

The supplier of the "chips" has also been associated with Hue Jackson of the Raiders and the NFL has instructed Jackson to disassociate himself from the company.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Outlaw Heroes;3917896 said:

he's a gap shooting dt, thats all, no way he'd be a good end for us.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
Amazing now you are privy to the converation Rob and Jerry had? Character concerns and performance enhancers I can grasp but not a place in our scheme not so much. What percentage of the time do we run four man fronts again? What were the reviews on his drops on his pro day? Your right this guy is a bum. Never could find a place for a big guy that can move and dominated the best conference in the country.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Albert Haynesworth could dominate as well. Look what that got the skins.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
We are not talking about Albert.There is a risk but to say that we could not find a place for him to help us on the field is an insult to our coaches. They may not want to deal with the baggage no way of knowing that for sure without being privy to the inner thoughts and musings of staff and management like a few select zoners. All I know that Nick Fairley was more often than not somewhere opposing coaches did not want him during this past football season.