Cowboys Are Not High on Fairley

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3917849 said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/22/cowboys-dont-think-highly-of-nick-fairley/related/

Matt Mosley, a Dallas-based reporter for FOXSports.com, writes that not only would the Cowboys not take Fairley with their first-round pick, they likely wouldn’t even take him in the second round.

I've been a huge Fairley supporter (as far as his play on the field) and still believe Fairley > Dareus in terms of football if he plays to his potential.

Having said that, I've grown a bit concerned regarding what I'm hearing about his work ethic, smarts and intelligence. I've heard some interviews with him the past few weeks and I just don't see much there.

IDK, I remember listening to Terrell Suggs and he came off the same way. Now, he sounds half-human.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;3917983 said:
Fairley's burst onto the college football scene last season raised a lot of questions about where he came from and what happened to change him from a non-descript player to a top 5 pick?

In addition to the character questions teams have, I believe there is concern with some NFL teams about possible illegal performance enhancing substances.

There is an article from Yahoo Sports about a manufacturer of a "chip" that is taped to the players skin that is supposed to increase a player's endurance and performance. Auburn players are quoted as saying they used them last season and saw remarkable results in endurance and performance. They even said they used them in the BCS Championship game. Here is the link...

http://www.thepostgame.com/features...-auburn-tied-controversial-supplement-company

The supplier of the "chips" has also been associated with Hue Jackson of the Raiders and the NFL has instructed Jackson to disassociate himself from the company.

Have no idea about this "chip" thing but I do know that he spent a lot of time with Rat in the off-season learning about technique and diagnosing offensive formations. Ratliff thinks highly of Fairley.

That said, I understand why Jerry would be reluctant to draft Fairley. But passing on Fairley could be Randy Moss part deux. As for whether Fairley is a 4-3 DT only versus a 3-4 DE, both Ryans (Rex and Rob) have stated that they employ one gapping fronts more often than 2 gapping fronts due to the league becoming more pass oriented. It is foolish to believe that Rob Ryan could not use a player of Fairley's talents.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think our scheme is part of our issue with Fairley.

He can free lance quite a bit at DT in the 4-3 and be a disruptive force. However, if you play him at DE in the 3-4, freelancing would create some huge plays, but he'd be hanging the lb's out to dry.

He'll be a great player in the 4-3, not so much in the 3-4.

burmafrd

Reaction score
tideh20heel;3918091 said:
We are not talking about Albert.There is a risk but to say that we could not find a place for him to help us on the field is an insult to our coaches. They may not want to deal with the baggage no way of knowing that for sure without being privy to the inner thoughts and musings of staff and management like a few select zoners. All I know that Nick Fairley was more often than not somewhere opposing coaches did not want him during this past football season.

The problem is that he could very well be places NONE of OUR coaches want him if we take him. And I pointed out that Haynesworth truly dominated but in the end the baggage was way too much. I do not think Fairley is as talented as haynesworth and is just a big a headcase.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Fairley's two main weaknesses do not bode well for him in a 34. He plays too high and doesn't really use his hands well and he has been called a "flash" player. He would get bullied as a 34 end, with the way he plays now and would be a project at NT or DE in a 34.

Fairley is best used as a 4-3, 3 technique.

I like him in a 43, not 34.

I think if the Titans get a hold of him, he will be very good.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
41gy#;3918340 said:
Fairley's two main weaknesses do not bode well for him in a 34. He plays too high and doesn't really use his hands well and he has been called a "flash" player. He would get bullied as a 34 end, with the way he plays now and would be a project at NT or DE in a 34.

Fairley is best used as a 4-3, 3 technique.

I like him in a 43, not 34.

I think if the Titans get a hold of him, he will be very good.

YEP I agree, the titans will take him. Auburns DL coach is now the Titans DL coach. Who knows how to use him better than he would.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
supercowboy8;3918374 said:
YEP I agree, the titans will take him. Auburns DL coach is now the Titans DL coach. Who knows how to use him better than he would.

I agree.

But I think the Titans might even trade down to pick up an extra choice and still get him if his stock is that damaged.

Not far, mind you, but enough to get another choice.

I know they really covet Kaepernick and probably would love to pick up an extra choice to package for use later in the round.

IMO, Bud Adams needs to do something. That moribund franchise has to stir up some excitement.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
supercowboy8;3917860 said:
why would they take a shot on him? He doesn't fit the scheme. Fairley can't play in a 3-4.

Ware wasn't an OLB when we drafted either. Sometimes players will blossom in different roles. Fairley would be a fantastic 5 technique. Reminds me of Seymour.

bpfred

Reaction score
I thought I was down on Fairley because there are five or six DL I prefer over him. Some people on this board, and possibly the Cowboys if you believe the reports, are REALLY down on him. Wouldn't take him in the 2nd? Wow.

For the record, as if anyone cares, I view Fairley as a good value in the 15-20 area of the 1st.

I know a good football coach (not NFL) who is absolutely convinced Fairley is the best player in the draft.

Also, FWIW, I don't view him as a 3-4 DE. Put me on the side of the posters that consider him a one gap 4-3 DT. Put him in that role and he could very well become a ProBowler.

He really doesn't fit the Cowboys scheme, and if they wouldn't take him in the 2nd, I have to think that would be a big part of the reason why.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bpfred;3919749 said:
I thought I was down on Fairley because there are five or six DL I prefer over him. Some people on this board, and possibly the Cowboys if you believe the reports, are REALLY down on him. Wouldn't take him in the 2nd? Wow.

For the record, as if anyone cares, I view Fairley as a good value in the 15-20 area of the 1st.

I know a good football coach (not NFL) who is absolutely convinced Fairley is the best player in the draft.

Also, FWIW, I don't view him as a 3-4 DE. Put me on the side of the posters that consider him a one gap 4-3 DT. Put him in that role and he could very well become a ProBowler.

He really doesn't fit the Cowboys scheme, and if they wouldn't take him in the 2nd, I have to think that would be a big part of the reason why.
Dallas often removes players with questionable character issues. This is why in past years they have removed guys like Talib, Merriweather, and this year it seems to be Fairley. They made an exception for Dez.

Woods

Reaction score
bpfred;3919749 said:

I could see the Titans drafting him at 8 as Fairley's former coach is now on their staff. Though the wildcard for the Titans is taking a QB, imo.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
People have way outsmarted themselves on Fairley and suffered paralysis by analysis, and they'll be kicking themselves for it next year ... just like they did with Warren Sapp. All these alleged huge character flags, and I don't see a single alleged item that bothers me.

He's out of shape? He ran a friggin 4.8 at 300 lbs. What does he run when he's "in shape"? 4.6?

Plays too nasty? Did anyone see Suh attempt to twist Jake Delhomme's head off of his body in a preaseason game? Anyone see him coldcock Cutler in the back of the head with a forearm? Anyone see him perform a blatant horsecollar on Mike Vick. Think the Lions are disappointed they drafted a guy who plays "too nasty"?

Takes downs off? He combined for 27.5 hurries, knockdowns and sacks last season, while Alabama DT Marcell Dareus had just 12.5. If he was taking downs off, then Dareus must have been taking entire games off.

If the draft were held in February, Fairly would have been a no-brianer Top 3 pick. But for some reason football decides to be the only sport that holds their draft 4 months after the season has ended, so now you've just given NFL people time to overthink things and suffer paralysis by analysis and ignore what's blatantly obvious to the naked eye.

burmafrd

Reaction score
There has been a lot that came out recently about his attitude and other things. Only a moron would ignore all that.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3919817 said:
People have way outsmarted themselves on Fairley and suffered paralysis by analysis, and they'll be kicking themselves for it next year ... just like they did with Warren Sapp. All these alleged huge character flags, and I don't see a single alleged item that bothers me.

He's out of shape? He ran a friggin 4.8 at 300 lbs. What does he run when he's "in shape"? 4.6?

Plays too nasty? Did anyone see Suh attempt to twist Jake Delhomme's head off of his body in a preaseason game? Anyone see him coldcock Cutler in the back of the head with a forearm? Anyone see him perform a blatant horsecollar on Mike Vick. Think the Lions are disappointed they drafted a guy who plays "too nasty"?

Takes downs off? He combined for 27.5 hurries, knockdowns and sacks last season, while Alabama DT Marcell Dareus had just 12.5. If he was taking downs off, then Dareus must have been taking entire games off.

If the draft were held in February, Fairly would have been a no-brianer Top 3 pick. But for some reason football decides to be the only sport that holds their draft 4 months after the season has ended, so now you've just given NFL people time to overthink things and suffer paralysis by analysis and ignore what's blatantly obvious to the naked eye.
Heard a lot of the exact same stuff when we passed on Merriman.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3919817 said:

Thank you. That's exactly how I feel about Fairley sliding down boards.

He is a dominant, mean interior DL player who will have an impact in the NFL (IMO).

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Hostile;3920069 said:
Heard a lot of the exact same stuff when we passed on Merriman.

If not for the degenerative knee condition they were right.

Besides, Merriman wasn't that great of a college player. Fairley was hands down probably the best defensive player in college football, and VASTLY outplayed Dareus in the same conference going against the same competition.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
burmafrd;3920045 said:
There has been a lot that came out recently about his attitude and other things. Only a moron would ignore all that.

What things specifically.

That's the problem .. it's all about a bunch of innuendo and whispers, with no specific allegations. Little old ladies at the beauty parlor have nothing on the scouting community when it comes to being gossips.