News: Cowboys are releasing Orton

theSHOW

Reaction score
You're very much mistaken if you believe that.

Orton's career td/int: 83-59 +24

Weeden's career td/int: 23-26 -3

Orton was one of (if not the ) best backup qb's in the league; Weeden was the 22nd pick in the draft, and yet Cleveland gave up on him after only two seasons.

ACTUALLY Ortons stats after 2 seasons were 9 tds and 13 ints.......-4

Busted!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
It's best not to mention Weeden in the same sentence with a QB who has 2 SB wins including 2 SB MVP awards. Weeden will be 31 in Oct he'll never amount to anything more than a serviceable backup.

Isnt that what he was brought in for?

coogrfan

Reaction score
ACTUALLY Ortons stats after 2 seasons were 9 tds and 13 ints.......-4

Busted!

I think it was fairly clear that I was comparing the relative merits of Orton vs Weeden as backups for this season. Given that, looking at where Orton was as a QB in 2008 is irrelevant.

coogrfan

Reaction score
So he threw more Tds then Hoyer, and 2 less then Campbell in 3 less games. IDK what ur trying to prove any any of your posts.

I was attempting to point out that the following statement that you made:

People want to judge Weeden on his record but will be offended and call you a hater if you do that with Romo. Weedens numbers are comparable to Romos in their first 20 games of their career. And Romo had the likes of Owens, Glenn Witten

was not merely inaccurate, but wildly inaccurate.

He's a backup QB. Nobody is touting him to start or take Romo's job. The guy has experience.

Yes, he's got roughly 1 1/2 seasons worth of experience as a bad qb. I do not find that to be a comforting thought.

He showed in college he could throw and throw good in a conference known for tough defenses.

Tough defenses? In Weeden's last year at Okie State, the Big <12 had exactly one team that finished in the top 20 in the nation in total D (TX 11th). The next best D (OU) finished 55th, while fully half of the conference ended the year ranked 95th (out of 120) or worse.

And got drafted by a bad team in a horrible situation. Apparently the team liked how he ran the team, So the Cowboys disagree with you 100%

Who could possibly doubt a front office with such a fine track record?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Tough defenses? In Weeden's last year at Okie State, the Big <12 had exactly one team that finished in the top 20 in the nation in total D (TX 11th). The next best D (OU) finished 55th, while fully half of the conference ended the year ranked 95th (out of 120) or worse.

But pay attention to the heads up against the top QB's in the Nation, as he beat them all.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Yes but apparently there's someone who thinks his career can be salvaged into more than a backup.

Who is to say he cant? He's in his 3rd yr. Im sure it wont be in Dallas. But anybody that is going to judge weeden based on his time in Cleveland doesnt seem to know the situation that team was in. From the moment there were rumblings of ownership change the Browns just seemed like a lost cause, When the change happened the owner himself came out and let it be known he wanted his own QB. Looks like you didnt know the coach either. Chudzinski had to have been one of the worst choice ever. Well he was bad but thats a bit harsh. Chudzinski was going one direction and the front office was going another, that in itself is a recipe for disaster. So before people force judgement on him atleast let him get into a situation where there is a structure in place.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Who is to say he cant? He's in his 3rd yr. Im sure it wont be in Dallas. But anybody that is going to judge weeden based on his time in Cleveland doesnt seem to know the situation that team was in. From the moment there were rumblings of ownership change the Browns just seemed like a lost cause, When the change happened the owner himself came out and let it be known he wanted his own QB. Looks like you didnt know the coach either. Chudzinski had to have been one of the worst choice ever. Well he was bad but thats a bit harsh. Chudzinski was going one direction and the front office was going another, that in itself is a recipe for disaster. So before people force judgement on him atleast let him get into a situation where there is a structure in place.

Weeden is going to be 31 in Oct and flamed out after only 2 seasons in Cleveland. Like I mentioned to the other poster rarely do you see an organization give up that quick on a QB who they invested a #1 pick on. Even a new regime isn't going to dump a second year QB who was drafted in the first round unless they see no hope in them. When Bill Parcells took over the Cowboys he gave Quincy Carter a year to see first hand what he had in him before dumping him. Most new head coaches want to work with a highly drafted QB before moving on from them but it's obvious no one saw a future with Weeden. He was the worst of the 3 QB's the Browns used last season compare the stats. It's not like teams were lining up to sign him when he was released.

There was such little interest in him he signed on as the Cowboys "3rd" QB and is only the backup because Orton chose to retire. The Cowboys only signed Weeden as insurance due to Orton's situation. Everyone knows the Browns are a screwed up organization but it's clear they felt Weeden wasn't the answer at QB which is why they used their #1 on Manziel. No one thought Weeden was the answer even Charlie Casserly a former GM said after last season he didn't think Weeden could play and that the Browns needed to draft a QB. The Browns were desperate when they drafted Weeden 2 years ago who most teams weren't that high on. You have to be desperate to use a #1 pick on a 28 year old QB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
But then he smiled, she said I do, and they lived happily ever after.

theSHOW

Reaction score
I think it was fairly clear that I was comparing the relative merits of Orton vs Weeden as backups for this season. Given that, looking at where Orton was as a QB in 2008 is irrelevant.

lol....what's that?

like I already stated

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Weeden is going to be 31 in Oct and flamed out after only 2 seasons in Cleveland. Like I mentioned to the other poster rarely do you see an organization give up that quick on a QB who they invested a #1 pick on. Even a new regime isn't going to dump a second year QB who was drafted in the first round unless they see no hope in them. When Bill Parcells took over the Cowboys he gave Quincy Carter a year to see first hand what he had in him before dumping him. Most new head coaches want to work with a highly drafted QB before moving on from them but it's obvious no one saw a future with Weeden. He was the worst of the 3 QB's the Browns used last season compare the stats. It's not like teams were lining up to sign him when he was released.

There was such little interest in him he signed on as the Cowboys "3rd" QB and is only the backup because Orton chose to retire. The Cowboys only signed Weeden as insurance due to Orton's situation. Everyone knows the Browns are a screwed up organization but it's clear they felt Weeden wasn't the answer at QB which is why they used their #1 on Manziel. No one thought Weeden was the answer even Charlie Casserly a former GM said after last season he didn't think Weeden could play and that the Browns needed to draft a QB. The Browns were desperate when they drafted Weeden 2 years ago who most teams weren't that high on. You have to be desperate to use a #1 pick on a 28 year old QB.

Are you a Owner who wanted to draft his own QB? Its clear the Browns are a mess. They knew about Gordons problems before the draft and had Sammy Watkins and drafted Gilbert instead. They couldve had Watkins and Manziel. And like its been said over and over again. It didnt matter who was the GM was and wether they believed Weeden had the tools or not. The owner didnt want him. What about that are you not getting?

And ur on about Dallas only picked up Weeden because of the unknown ith Orton. That might be so, but you do know that Dallas was really high on Weeden coming out of the draft right? Im sure Dallas wouldve let them compete, and if Weeden wouldve shown what he has so far im sure they wouldve chosen the cheaper option that was capable of running the offense. Like Weeden has shown he can. In such a little time in Dallas the guy has basically learned the system and Dallas cut Orton.

With todays rules why not? You cant touch the QB and you cant hit him even beyond the line of scrimmage without a 50% chance of being a penalty. The NFL has marginalized the posistion. Average QBs are getting big numbers. Holgrem who has made a career of finding QBs was desperate or found a QB he liked?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Are you a Owner who wanted to draft his own QB? Its clear the Browns are a mess. They knew about Gordons problems before the draft and had Sammy Watkins and drafted Gilbert instead. They couldve had Watkins and Manziel. And like its been said over and over again. It didnt matter who was the GM was and wether they believed Weeden had the tools or not. The owner didnt want him. What about that are you not getting?

And ur on about Dallas only picked up Weeden because of the unknown ith Orton. That might be so, but you do know that Dallas was really high on Weeden coming out of the draft right? Im sure Dallas wouldve let them compete, and if Weeden wouldve shown what he has so far im sure they wouldve chosen the cheaper option that was capable of running the offense. Like Weeden has shown he can. In such a little time in Dallas the guy has basically learned the system and Dallas cut Orton.

With todays rules why not? You cant touch the QB and you cant hit him even beyond the line of scrimmage without a 50% chance of being a penalty. The NFL has marginalized the posistion. Average QBs are getting big numbers. Holgrem who has made a career of finding QBs was desperate or found a QB he liked?

If I was an owner I would at least give a second year QB who was a #1 pick one more season if I and the coaches saw some potential after their first 2 seasons. It's clear the Browns didn't which is why he was given the boot. It makes no difference if the Cowboys were high on Weeden they've been high on a number of players who haven't panned out. I've given my opinion of Weeden we'll just have to see how he performs if he has to play.

coogrfan

Reaction score
lol....what's that?

like I already stated

I'll spell it out for you.

Silverstar posted the following:

Weeden = Orton

I responded with this:

You're very much mistaken if you believe that.

Orton's career td/int: 83-59 +24.

Weeden's career td/int: 23-26 -3

Orton was one of (if not the ) best backup qb's in the league; Weeden was the 22nd pick in the draft, and yet Cleveland gave up on him after only two season
s.

We're talking about who would be the better backup option for 2014. The "first two years" tangent was the result of a subsequent post by Latinmind in which he claimed that Weeden's and Romo's first two seasons were comparable. I responded to that with numbers that indicated otherwise, but in hindsight it would have been better if I had just focused on the incontestable fact that comparing Weeden's 1st two seasons to Romo's or Orton's was pointless if you're trying to determine the relative merits of Weeden v Orton for 2014.

Whether Orton was better or worse after his 1st two years in the league than Weeden is at the same point in his career is completely irrelevant. What matters is who would be the better backup for 2014. The answer to that question is clearly Orton, but he doesn't want the job.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yea, keep on bragging about the past of a former Cowboy quarterback that up and quit on his team, with plenty of cash still bulging from his pockets...you go and brag on him, guy.

At least Weeden shows up for work and gives his all...

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure we'll have a chance to evaluate wheeden first hand this season so we'll all know what he's got. This offense is so good it would be Quincy/Chad proof. Wheeden should look all pro