News: Cowboys are releasing Orton

Section446

Reaction score
On a more serious note, if this is how it's going to go down, I'm glad that Weeden got some time with the 1's in mini-camp. I know it's nowhere remotely close to the real thing, but it can't hurt.

cej757

Reaction score
I'll miss Orton's hard counts. He had the best hard count we've heard in Dallas in a long time. The way he was drawing the Eagles offside in that last game was beautiful. Too bad it had to end with such a poor throw to Miles.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Personally, I'd put him on reserve/retired list and retain his rights...

I agree....watch later on. He will sign with another team and still collect his frogs from Jerry. Oh well...it's not my coin. smh

coogrfan

Reaction score
On a more serious note, if this is how it's going to go down, I'm glad that Weeden got some time with the 1's in mini-camp. I know it's nowhere remotely close to the real thing, but it can't hurt.

Good point. Lord knows Weeden can use all the reps he can get. :cool:

Section446

Reaction score
To be honest, I have no friggen clue what Weeden has or does not have. I know nothing about him except he looks goofy. lol

He's just an average QB with a great arm. But as far as a backup QB goes, I don't see any issue with the guy.

Section446

Reaction score
So who are the top QB prospects in the draft next year?

Top 5 senior quarterbacks

239.gif

1. Bryce Petty, Baylor Bears: He put up exceptional totals last season and should be in line for a big senior year with plenty of offensive talent still on hand around him. Petty piled 4,200-plus passing yards and had a near-perfect 32-3 TD-INT ratio last season. The Baylor offense is always going to create numbers as long as coach Art Briles is around, but Petty has skills that go beyond a good offense.

204.gif

2. Sean Mannion, Oregon State Beavers: The tall QB had a breakthrough season in 2013, with 37 TD throws and 4,662 passing yards, but now he must attack defenses without the services of WR Brandin Cooks, who was taken by the Saints in Round 1 of the 2014 draft. Mannion is accurate, but he doesn't generate the velocity on his passes you'd expect for someone his size. That's the big question for me going into 2014.

194.gif

3. Braxton Miller, Ohio State Buckeyes: A gifted runner, Miller improved his mechanics and footwork going into the 2013 season, but it's clear he's still as much an athlete as he is a QB in the way that he doesn't yet consistently anticipate people coming open but instead too often relies on his ability to extend plays seemingly as long as he wants. Miller's passing totals have improved, but his ability to anticipate in the passing game will define whether he's considered a QB worth taking in the top half of the draft. If he goes later, the athletic credentials could have some believing he could play another position.

9.gif

4. Taylor Kelly, Arizona State Sun Devils: He was arguably better as a sophomore, but Kelly certainly wasn't bad in 2013. While he lacks above-average arm strength and relies a great deal on underneath and intermediate accuracy, Kelly is athletic and tough, and he runs well and has a quick release. He anticipates well and is willing to take hits to get the ball out to the best option.

61.gif

5. Hutson Mason, Georgia Bulldogs: He filled in admirably for Aaron Murray at the end of last season and will get his shot to start in 2014 with Murray now a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. Mason should be helped by a very good running game this season.

Top 5 underclassmen quarterbacks

52.gif

1. Jameis Winston, Florida State Seminoles: I'll repeat my notes from the Big Board, which hold up a few weeks later. In regards to his 2014 season: "He'll anticipate better and move with better precision in the pocket, and he'll do so while again being surrounded by a ton of talent. The question is whether he'll mature and find a way to move past what I personally consider major character concerns. He's a great football prospect, but he has a great deal of work to do to prove he's a player worthy of leading an NFL franchise. Maybe 2014 shouldn't be his final year in Tallahassee."

2483.gif

2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon Ducks: Through two seasons as a starter, Mariota has 61 TD throws and just 10 INTs. And even while I'd never consider him a run-first QB, when he does run he's dangerous, as evidenced by his near 1,500 yards and his 7.3 yards per carry average. Mariota could have been a top-10 pick in the 2014 draft, but a return to school will benefit him. He has all the athletic credentials and can be very accurate for stretches, but he needs to anticipate a little better and gain a little strength. He's well on his way to challenging to be the top pick in 2015.

26.gif

3. Brett Hundley, UCLA Bruins: Since he burst on the scene in 2012, Hundley has consistently impressed with his ability to drive the ball down the field with ease. He might have the best arm in this draft class, and I think he's a smart pocket mover with a sense of when to climb to evade pressure. He just needs to be better with ball placement, where he can be pretty inconsistent. Overall, he's a very good prospect.

127.gif

4. Connor Cook, Michigan State Spartans: The Spartans' offense isn't exactly built to show off a QB's ability, but Cook did manage to put up some pretty decent totals last year even as the MSU receivers struggled to consistently hang on to the ball. Cook has good size at 6-4 and can really run. He has a strong arm and will continue to get better. A sleeper to be a future first-rounder.

24.gif

5A. Kevin Hogan, Stanford Cardinal: He should take a step forward this season with another good O-line and several outstanding weapons in the passing game, but Hogan has a long windup on his release and needs to clean up some things mechanically. He's a very good athlete and should continue to improve.

333.gif

5B. Jacob Coker, Alabama Crimson Tide: He nearly beat out Winston to start at Florida State, and is the favorite to be the starter for Nick Saban's team in 2014. Coker moves well, has a big arm and, if he starts, will have big-time weapons in wide receiver Amari Cooper and tight end O.J. Howard.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He's just an average QB with a great arm. But as far as a backup QB goes, I don't see any issue with the guy.

That is true...because if he can hand off to the running backs, (like I hope the coaches make Romo do more often), hopefully he can fill in for a few games, unless Romo is completely done after the first 3 or 4 games. I still worry about his back issues.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing Weeden this pre season. He has a very good OL in front of him and some good weapons. This is a new chance for him after leaving Cleveland it is up to him to make the most of it. I think he has the talent to be a quality QB but like most QB it takes some time to adjust to the NFL.

Section446

Reaction score
That is true...because if he can hand off to the running backs, (like I hope the coaches make Romo do more often), hopefully he can fill in for a few games, unless Romo is completely done after the first 3 or 4 games. I still worry about his back issues.

I'm terrified of the back issues. Romo's best trait (keeping the play alive) makes him susceptible to some pretty vicious hits. Thank goodness we have a top-5 LT watching his ***. I really wish we had used a pick in the first three rounds on a QB.