News: Cowboys are releasing Orton

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing Weeden this pre season. He has a very good OL in front of him and some good weapons. This is a new chance for him after leaving Cleveland it is up to him to make the most of it. I think he has the talent to be a quality QB but like most QB it takes some time to adjust to the NFL.

But, he has already been in the NFL?

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Does this help or hurt our cap for this and next year. Glad orton is gone. He is a waste of space.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Not too thrilled about it.

Orton has proven he can win in this league, and played well enough to beat the Eagles last year.

Brandon Weeden hasn't shown anything. Let's say we're 6-4 next year and Romo goes down for a month. I felt confident that Orton could play .500 football and keep us in the hunt. Can't say I feel the same way about Weeden.

I know he was on the Browns but there is a reason we got him for basically pennies on the dollar for a former first round pick. There is a reason 31 other teams and scouts had little to no interest in him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Because he was out of football (baseball) for awhile and really has very little combined college and NFL experience, there is some upside with Weeden. I have no idea how much, but he really is a somewhat unique situation.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I'm terrified of the back issues. Romo's best trait (keeping the play alive) makes him susceptible to some pretty vicious hits. Thank goodness we have a top-5 LT watching his ***. I really wish we had used a pick in the first three rounds on a QB.

Well, if Romo does get an injury that puts him out for the rest of the season or his career, the Cowboys might have a very high draft pick next year to find his replacement.

But, really, as bad as this defense has been, the Cowboys need to draft all the defensive players the can.

Payton Manning his bad self would have gotten slaughtered this past season with the defense the Cowboys have.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But, he has already been in the NFL?

Yes he is entering year 3. No doubt he has had some poor outings he has also had some good outings in his rookie season. How will he fit into what Linehan wants to do? we will soon find out but he does have talent which is why he went in the 1st rd. Weeden is not stupid he knows he has to make the most of this oppertunity in Dallas it is a 2nd chance and could be his last chance to develop into an NFL QB

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Yes he is entering year 3. No doubt he has had some poor outings he has also had some good outings in his rookie season. How will he fit into what Linehan wants to do? we will soon find out but he does have talent which is why he went in the 1st rd. Weeden is not stupid he knows he has to make the most of this oppertunity in Dallas it is a 2nd chance and could be his last chance to develop into an NFL QB

Yeah, like I said, I know absolutely nothing about the guy. But, I will root for him now that he is a Dallas Cowboy as long as he upholds the meaning of being a Cowboy.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't care about the money.
But how, if at all, it affects the cap is a concern.

There is a cap savings. The unanswered question is if we got him to agree on giving back some bonus $

ROUSH8692

Reaction score
Wow.... He was gonna retire anyway.... why pay him for no reason? Oh Jerry is why...