CFZ Cowboys at a crossroads for playoff momentum

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In today’s salary cap era of the NFL, it is truly challenging for any team to win 10+ regular season games and make the playoffs in 3 consecutive years. So far on paper, the Cowboys look poised to do that in 2023. The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in 3 or more consecutive seasons was from 1991-96 when they made it in 6 straight.

In the pre-cap era, The Cowboys (1975-83) hold the NFL record with 9 straight postseason appearances.
In the post cap era, two teams- the Colts, who made the playoffs in 11 consecutive seasons, (2000-2010), and the Patriots (2009-2019) hold the post cap era record for consecutive playoff seasons. Obviously Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were the centerpieces of those post cap era teams’ streaks.

But obviously it’s hard in this current era of pro football for teams to run up long strings of consecutive playoff appearances.
Here are the current NFL team playoff appearance streaks:
  • Chiefs- 8 consecutive seasons- 2015-22. (3 AFC championships, 2 Lombardis)
  • Bills- 4 consecutive seasons- 2018-22. (No conf championships or SBs)
  • Bucs- 3 consecutive seasons- 2020-22 (1 NFC championship, 1 Lombardi)
  • Eagles- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (1 NFC championship)
  • Bengals- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (1 AFC championship)
  • 49ers- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (No conference championships)
  • Cowboys- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (No conference championship appearances)
That‘s not a long list. It’s hard to build a playoff contender that can compete in the playoffs consistently.

So as we head into this year’s draft, the Cowboys could be one of those teams that in the cap era enter the rare air of making the playoffs in 3 consecutive seasons. It is hard to build organizational momentum. The 2023 season will go a long way in proving whether or not the Cowboys are building that kind of momentum. Exciting times.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think the key to consistant success in the salary cap era is recognizing you can't re-sign all of your "stars". You have to be willing to trade some great players at the height of their value even though it hurts.

Diggs, Lamb, Parsons, Dak extension. You can't keep them all. Now is the time to figure it out.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good and interesting info.
As we know it is a year to year league. Last season, 7 new teams made the playoffs from 2021, and in 2021, I believe 6 new news made it from 2020. I do not remember if 2 of those 6 were from the 2 added teams. If you go back it seems at least 5 or 6 new teams make the playoffs each year for a long time.

So yeah, 3 consecutive years is now an accomplishment. And with the state of the NFC, as of now. There is no reason to think Dallas will not be there again.
Best teams to repeat is SF, Philly, Dallas. Possibly throw in Minnesota.
However, the AFCN & AFCS can be wide open for new division winners.
Even the NYG may have a shot at returning. If not we could see 4 new NFC teams in the playoffs.

AFC we should see KC, Cincinnati, Buffalo with a good chance at Jacksonville since the AFCS seems in flux with the other 3 teams.
Can the Jets sneak in if the get Rodgers, can Miami get in if Tua stays healthy. LAC should make it back also. So we may not see but 2 or 3 new teams in the AFC.

However between the AFC & NFC we could very well see 7 new teams again.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 straight years will say a lot about mcarthy.
Absolutely will. Big Mac has done more than any recent Cowboys coach since Parcells to bring some stability and consistency to the scene. This year will say a lot about how his work as HC has affected the organization’s ability to stay consistent.
I think the key to consistant success in the salary cap era is recognizing you can't re-sign all of your "stars". You have to be willing to trade some great players at the height of their value even though it hurts.

Diggs, Lamb, Parsons, Dak extension. You can't keep them all. Now is the time to figure it out.
Well said. The Cowboys have seemed to better understand how to manage its roster than in recent years. It takes good drafts, smart FA moves and wise trades at the right moment to make your roster stay competitive in the cap era.

CCBoy

Reaction score
In today’s salary cap era of the NFL, it is truly challenging for any team to win 10+ regular season games and make the playoffs in 3 consecutive years. So far on paper, the Cowboys look poised to do that in 2023. The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in 3 or more consecutive seasons was from 1991-96 when they made it in 6 straight.

In the pre-cap era, The Cowboys (1975-83) hold the NFL record with 9 straight postseason appearances.
In the post cap era, two teams- the Colts, who made the playoffs in 11 consecutive seasons, (2000-2010), and the Patriots (2009-2019) hold the post cap era record for consecutive playoff seasons. Obviously Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were the centerpieces of those post cap era teams’ streaks.

But obviously it’s hard in this current era of pro football for teams to run up long strings of consecutive playoff appearances.
  • Cowboys- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (No conference championship appearances)
That‘s not a long list. It’s hard to build a playoff contender that can compete in the playoffs consistently.

So as we head into this year’s draft, the Cowboys could be one of those teams that in the cap era enter the rare air of making the playoffs in 3 consecutive seasons. It is hard to build organizational momentum. The 2023 season will go a long way in proving whether or not the Cowboys are building that kind of momentum. Exciting times.
If this does not continue this season, will the current Cowboys Head Coach be back next season? Does Jason Garrett still sound current?

LonnieElam

Reaction score
We're not making the playoffs 3 years in a row, and I think Dak regresses even more. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. It's sad, because I think our defense will be top 10, if not top 5.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We're not making the playoffs 3 years in a row, and I think Dak regresses even more. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. It's sad, because I think our defense will be top 10, if not top 5.
I just don’t see how. The schedule will be easier…they won 12 games with Dak getting hurt for 6 games….im not seeing a regression unless the defense gets worse….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I think the telling thing is the Cowboys draft well and despite how people feel about Dak the stability at the position and the coaching staff gives them a lead in front of a lot of teams. The Cowboys have a good thing going here. It’s time for Dak to take that next step. Especially with consistency in the post season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
A lot of uniquely awful things are going to need to happen in order to miss the playoffs with a top 5 defense in a time when too many teams qualify.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A lot of uniquely awful things are going to need to happen in order to miss the playoffs with a top 5 defense in a time when too many teams qualify.
The defense would have to regress, Micah hurt, run game sucks…..it’s hard to see it because even last year we missed Dak some games, Pollard, Cooper wasn’t here all year….Micah was injured some games….things weren’t perfect last year and they won 12. I expect at least 10-11. McCarthy does a good job of getting them ready when a guy is injured.

CCBoy

Reaction score
As then, does another 12 win season.
If the three toughest opponents for Dallas are Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Buffalo...Dallas won't end up again with 12 wins?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winner winner chicken dinner!
I totally agree with your post and unfortunately, it will become a reality. as no way Prescott survives the pressures that the 2023 season will produce for him esp without his buds who are now history!
Feel awful for our defense who will once again waste all their efforts without glory visiting them....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So as we head into this year’s draft, the Cowboys could be one of those teams that in the cap era enter the rare air of making the playoffs in 3 consecutive seasons.

giphy.gif