CFZ Cowboys at a crossroads for playoff momentum

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
At the risk of being argumentative, the Cowboys always seem to be at one crossroad or another - whether it is cap management, personnel, coaching, the draft.

Personally, I think it is overblown. In the grand scheme of things, so what if they miss the playoffs this year? Most, if not all, of us will be back on this forum. The home games will still be sold out. They are just as likely to rebound the following year to make the playoffs the following year, anyway.

No, making the playoffs a 3rd consecutive year is not a crossroad event. The bar needs to be raised. Making the NFC championship game is the seminal event.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In today’s salary cap era of the NFL, it is truly challenging for any team to win 10+ regular season games and make the playoffs in 3 consecutive years. So far on paper, the Cowboys look poised to do that in 2023. The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in 3 or more consecutive seasons was from 1991-96 when they made it in 6 straight.

In the pre-cap era, The Cowboys (1975-83) hold the NFL record with 9 straight postseason appearances.
In the post cap era, two teams- the Colts, who made the playoffs in 11 consecutive seasons, (2000-2010), and the Patriots (2009-2019) hold the post cap era record for consecutive playoff seasons. Obviously Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were the centerpieces of those post cap era teams’ streaks.

But obviously it’s hard in this current era of pro football for teams to run up long strings of consecutive playoff appearances.
Here are the current NFL team playoff appearance streaks:
  • Chiefs- 8 consecutive seasons- 2015-22. (3 AFC championships, 2 Lombardis)
  • Bills- 4 consecutive seasons- 2018-22. (No conf championships or SBs)
  • Bucs- 3 consecutive seasons- 2020-22 (1 NFC championship, 1 Lombardi)
  • Eagles- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (1 NFC championship)
  • Bengals- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (1 AFC championship)
  • 49ers- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (No conference championships)
  • Cowboys- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (No conference championship appearances)
That‘s not a long list. It’s hard to build a playoff contender that can compete in the playoffs consistently.

So as we head into this year’s draft, the Cowboys could be one of those teams that in the cap era enter the rare air of making the playoffs in 3 consecutive seasons. It is hard to build organizational momentum. The 2023 season will go a long way in proving whether or not the Cowboys are building that kind of momentum. Exciting times.
It’s amazing how inconsistent it is for playoff teams this era. One note I’d make is while these other teams haven’t won a championship game they have all participated in one during this stretch.

And that’s the biggest streak we are in. 12 consecutive playoff appearances without a championship game appearance . The longest drought in NFL history .

Making the playoffs three consecutive years might be amazing for this dysfunctional ownership but only if it ends in a championship appearance. That’s the Gorilla on this franchise and ownerships back.

shabazz

Reaction score
In today’s salary cap era of the NFL, it is truly challenging for any team to win 10+ regular season games and make the playoffs in 3 consecutive years. So far on paper, the Cowboys look poised to do that in 2023. The last time the Cowboys made the playoffs in 3 or more consecutive seasons was from 1991-96 when they made it in 6 straight.

In the pre-cap era, The Cowboys (1975-83) hold the NFL record with 9 straight postseason appearances.
In the post cap era, two teams- the Colts, who made the playoffs in 11 consecutive seasons, (2000-2010), and the Patriots (2009-2019) hold the post cap era record for consecutive playoff seasons. Obviously Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were the centerpieces of those post cap era teams’ streaks.

But obviously it’s hard in this current era of pro football for teams to run up long strings of consecutive playoff appearances.
  • Cowboys- 2 consecutive seasons- 2021-22 (No conference championship appearances)
That‘s not a long list. It’s hard to build a playoff contender that can compete in the playoffs consistently.

So as we head into this year’s draft, the Cowboys could be one of those teams that in the cap era enter the rare air of making the playoffs in 3 consecutive seasons. It is hard to build organizational momentum. The 2023 season will go a long way in proving whether or not the Cowboys are building that kind of momentum. Exciting times.
I would also add that being one of the youngest teams in the NFL bodes well in continuing regular season sucess.

No telling about future playoff sucess, however. Time will tell

gtb1943

Reaction score
So if a fan enjoys watching how the season plays out of getting to the playoffs, they are a fake fan?
Is not football about enjoying the games and qualifying for the playoffs. Where anything can happen for any team in any given year.

If you just want the playoffs, then why watch. Just wait until January to start watching. That is what I call a fair weather fan.
And I call those acting satisfied with what has happened

LOSERS

gtb1943

Reaction score
Clown? He put together a Dynasty...and his organization has demonstrated knowledge of talent and during the past ten years ... have been winners. Two straight 12 win seasons ... with covind and injuries does not deserve bias of contempt without a fan's level of supportive dignity.
YAWN.

ghst187

Reaction score
Based on?
Yeah I think the entire NFC is going to be mostly bad again so I think we have a great chance to get to the playoffs again barring injuries, which I think is usually what ends up killing dreams oftentimes.
I think the 9ers take a step back as does Philly. Brady is gone, Rodgers is gone…nfc is not scary at all. I think we need a top flight OG and another stud RB to take some pressure off Dak and let the D do its thing. Should be fine.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The cap era has shown what injuries can really do to a team, which brings me to the next point, injuries would be the only way this team doesn't make the playoffs. Well suspensions also i guess so should say "Games missed" would have to be a high for it to happen.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I think the entire NFC is going to be mostly bad again so I think we have a great chance to get to the playoffs again barring injuries, which I think is usually what ends up killing dreams oftentimes.
I think the 9ers take a step back as does Philly. Brady is gone, Rodgers is gone…nfc is not scary at all. I think we need a top flight OG and another stud RB to take some pressure off Dak and let the D do its thing. Should be fine.
Like you, I think the NFC remains more open than recent years. The departure of Brady and Rodgers has certainly created a wider lane for other teams.

The QB situation in the NFC is certainly in flux. Jalen Hurts has shown both his limitations and his capabilities to lead a team in the playoffs. Whoever plays QB in SF is still murky with Brock Purdy and Trey Lance, Cousins is decent with Minn but not dominant, Daniel Jones has shown a little upside last year but again, nothing special.

Whatever anyone thinks of Dak, he has shown he can lead teams to the playoffs and occasionally win a game. That’s not enough of course and he needs to be better, but he’s certainly been better than what most teams have to work with.

Because no NFC team has a truly dominant QB, the need to supply a well thought out supporting cast for these QBs is at a premium. When a door opens, the best FOs find a way to get through it. We will see if ours is one that can do exactly that.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I remember the 19 playoffs in 20 years era, missing only in 1974 thanks to an inexplicable home loss to the dreadful Giants.

I just expected it every year, which is probably why the 21st century has been so frustrating. Boys need to get over the hump.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember the 19 playoffs in 20 years era, missing only in 1974 thanks to an inexplicable home loss to the dreadful Giants.

I just expected it every year, which is probably why the 21st century has been so frustrating. Boys need to get over the hump.
The accomplishments of those Cowboys teams from 1966-83 are as dominant as any in the history of professional sports. Even the great 90s teams from 91-96, with all their greatness, did not have that level of consistent dominance of being competitive year in and year out.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I find it curious, when we don't make the playoffs, the playoffs are the goal. So we make the playoffs and then winning in the playoffs is the goal, We win a away playoff game and we still haven't accomplished Ish in some "Minds"

(I use that term losely) Comedy of thought !!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao2::lmao2:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The 2023 season will go a long way in proving whether or not the Cowboys are building that kind of momentum. Exciting times.
I so wish I could be with you there. Unfortunately, as I've said before, "exciting times" do not exist for me anymore with the Cowboys. Too many disappointments, too many failed seasons and too many "what the????" moments.

I watch and wait for whatever happens, have had enough of the heartaches.

But glad for you and others who still have hope....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I so wish I could be with you there. Unfortunately, as I've said before, "exciting times" do not exist for me anymore with the Cowboys. Too many disappointments, too many failed seasons and too many "what the????" moments.

I watch and wait for whatever happens, have had enough of the heartaches.

But glad for you and others who still have hope....
I totally understand why you feel that way.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Making the playoffs these days feels like hitting .200 in baseball. Recently several teams have made it with losing or .500 records.
Which is why getting all excited about making the playoffs 3 years in a row doesn't happen for me.

Now that's my view, don't expect everyone else to feel the same way. It's like when the local university basketball team where I live (not a fan myself, I went to a rival school) managed to make the conference tournament as the last seed only because an improbable sequence of events happened, like one of the worst teams beating one of the better teams.

Lots of back slapping, high fiving (figuratively and literally) and congratulating among the fans, players and coaches, like it was some great feat.

I didn't see that as much of an accomplishment, but hey, everybody is different!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Totally agree and truly appreciate the Cowboys recent playoff streak accomplishment, BP! Too bad a majority could care less but instead bicker, berate and condemn for failing to reach a Super Bowl.