Cowboys back in 1st place

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good question. All you can do is beat the teams on your schedule.

Like looking at our schedule we are 0-3 against two 4-1 teams and one 5-0. While both of our wins are against 0-5 teams.
It makes it hard to judge how the teams stack up. If I were making odds I would still go with Pittsburgh, but I'm not at all convinced they would crush us. Of course I say this without knowing how things will go with Dalton at QB. If he plays well the Cowboys might still be competitive.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It makes it hard to judge how the teams stack up. If I were making odds I would still go with Pittsburgh, but I'm not at all convinced they would crush us. Of course I say this without knowing how things will go with Dalton at QB. If he plays well the Cowboys might still be competitive.
Their game with Egirls might be a better gauge.

After watching both our games yesterday I came away thinking Egirls have a better team than us.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
You can only limit the defense's exposure so much.

The division is so bad the Cowboys could still win it, but we've seen how that story goes if the Cowboys reach the playoffs. Then again, I wouldn't count out the Eagles.

The Eagles offense seemed to find itself a bit on Sunday.

Jipper

Reaction score
The combined record of the teams Pittsburgh has beat is 3-15-1, and they haven't run away with any of the games, so are they really that good, or the beneficiaries of some really weak opponents?

that's a fair point for sure, but if the Steelers had lost all 4 of those games then the combined record would be 7-11-1, still a losing record but much more average. They have played some weaker teams for sure, but their defense certainly looks pretty fantastic, especially the way they get pressure on the qb.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that's a fair point for sure, but if the Steelers had lost all 4 of those games then the combined record would be 7-11-1, still a losing record but much more average. They have played some weaker teams for sure, but their defense certainly looks pretty fantastic, especially the way they get pressure on the qb.
I don't disagree that you can't just dismiss them, and like I said before I would favor them if I were oddsmakers, but I think this at least puts doubt into the suggestion that they will crush the Cowboys.

Jipper

Reaction score
I don't disagree that you can't just dismiss them, and like I said before I would favor them if I were oddsmakers, but I think this at least puts doubt into the suggestion that they will crush the Cowboys.

thats fair, but i stand by my prediction that they are going to crush us....unless something changes with our defense...i do, however, respect your view and you make a good point.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
thats fair, but i stand by my prediction that they are going to crush us....unless something changes with our defense...i do, however, respect your view and you make a good point.
Fir enough. Without question the defense is a huge concern.

Darkhound

Reaction score
There is nothing to celebrate or get excited about this mediocre team

garyo1954

Reaction score
I swear some of you people look at a glass filled to the brim and say its empty!

"We're in FIRST place," says X!
And Y replies, "Yeah, but Arizona, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, and everybody is going to beat us! We're doomed! Doomed, i tellya! We may never win another game!"

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
We are going to get a 3 game stretch here now that we should have a chance to win al games until we run into Pittsburgh and get crushed.
the steelers almsot lost to the eagles yesterday if the eagles would of had one of their receivers back they may have beaten the steelers it was close

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The Cowboys can win the division, but they won’t. Not with this defensive mess. Period!
The Eagles are the only team capable of playing complimentary football. They can run the ball. They are improving in the pass game. And we know they have the best defense.

The only reason Dallas is currently in first place is the schedule and a lucky onsides kick.
While the rest of the division has been playing Pittsburg, Chicago, Baltimore, Cleveland, and the Rams, our 2 wins have come against the winless Falcons and the winless Giants. Philly will face an easy schedule soon.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
We will go 3-3 in the division at best. That puts us at 4 wins and then I don't really see any other layups. Maybe the Bengals but that's still a long time in the future. The Vikings are better than their record indicates (they've played GB, Tennessee, and Seattle). Steelers and Ravens will be happy to be going up against Dalton...someone they know very well. AZ and SF are unpredictable but both have enough talent.

uvaballa

Reaction score
I don't think they run the ball well enough to beat good teams. This offense was built to run the ball and now they move the ball better passing than running.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
One we gather ourselves from all of the emotions from Sunday’s game we find ourselves back in 1st place with an important win.

We held ourselves together for a game winning drive . A loss might have sealed a losing season.

While both of our wins are against 0-5 teams our 3 losses are against two 4-1 teams and one 5-0 team. And everyone in our division continues losing.

The season is still on. We have a backup QB who has a proven starting record . Something we didn’t have in those 2010 and 2015 seasons when our QB went down ending in losing records.

We have much talent in supporting cast to help elevate him like we witnessed on our last possession. We can lean more on Elliott and the rushing game controlling time of possession limiting our defenses exposure.

And if we can take care of business at least against the more winnable games in our division we can still control our own destiny.

This is the first time in the last couple decades since the 5-11 years I don’t feel our season is over after losing our starting QB with how we closed this game out. Being in the worst division in NFL certainly helps . The season appears to be still on in 1st place after a badly needed win.

I think Dak and Dalton are pretty comparable, in how far they can take us. With that said, there is much concern about the team, we have plenty of holes that we would've had if we hadn't lost our starting quarterback. We may win our division and get into the playoffs, but that doesn't make us a playoff team deserving to be there. So far it is shaping up to be a depressing season with all the injuries, and we may be one of those bad teams that does better than they are and miss out on a nicer draft pick.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Dak and Dalton are pretty comparable, in how far they can take us. With that said, there is much concern about the team, we have plenty of holes that we would've had if we hadn't lost our starting quarterback. We may win our division and get into the playoffs, but that doesn't make us a playoff team deserving to be there. So far it is shaping up to be a depressing season with all the injuries, and we may be one of those bad teams that does better than they are and miss out on a nicer draft pick.
Not sure how we can say they are comparable. If you truly believe that then the rest of the league passed up on a top 10 passer for 3 million .

If we win our division with a lesser record we probably wouldn’t be a serious contender but we would get 1 home WC game.

Rooting for a total collapse for a higher draft pick always seems like a loser mentality to me.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Not sure how we can say they are comparable. If you truly believe that then the rest of the league passed up on a top 10 passer for 3 million .

If we win our division with a lesser record we probably wouldn’t be a serious contender but we would get 1 home WC game.

Rooting for a total collapse for a higher draft pick always seems like a loser mentality to me.

Dalton is not a long term solution. Age plays a factor. I think right now Dalton can get as many wins out of the Cowboys as Dak could, and that may not being saying much because the wins we did get this season are part luck.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dalton is not a long term solution. Age plays a factor. I think right now Dalton can get as many wins out of the Cowboys as Dak could, and that may not being saying much because the wins we did get this season are part luck.
That’s all subjective . Important thing is Dalton could be enough to stay in contention for division and the playoffs which is more than you’d expect losing your starting QB.

Sydla

Reaction score
The reality is that as long as this defense continues to play like this and Nolan remains as DC, it's hard to imagine winning the division this year, especially with Dak being hurt. Philly is injured too but they likely have a better defense than we do and Wentz, who probably will never be great, can probably match Dalton in production so offenses might be a wash.

Philly will fall to 1-4-1 after they lose to Baltimore this week but the reality is we likely will be an underdog on Monday to the Cardinals because there is little shot Nolan will have this defense ready to play Murray and Hopkins. Imagine having your closest comp for the division title being 1-4-1 and you only have a .5 game lead on them after 6 weeks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The reality is that as long as this defense continues to play like this and Nolan remains as DC, it's hard to imagine winning the division this year, especially with Dak being hurt. Philly is injured too but they likely have a better defense than we do and Wentz, who probably will never be great, can probably match Dalton in production so offenses might be a wash.

Philly will fall to 1-4-1 after they lose to Baltimore this week but the reality is we likely will be an underdog on Monday to the Cardinals because there is little shot Nolan will have this defense ready to play Murray and Hopkins. Imagine having your closest comp for the division title being 1-4-1 and you only have a .5 game lead on them after 6 weeks.
Worse yet we still have Pitt, Balt and toughest part of our schedule remaining.

Aven8

Reaction score
GB went to the SB with the most players on IR in history. Yes they had AR, but it’s a true story folks.