Cowboys blew their best window to win with Sensational Rookies

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Dak gets tagged, It's not like you'll shut up about it. You'll just reveal your own inconsistency in message.

The tag if implemented will just confirm 100% that the FO has doubts about Dak so-called greatness and is unwilling to risk giving this imposter QB a franchise QB deal!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The tag if implemented will just confirm 100% that the FO has doubts about Dak so-called greatness and is unwilling to risk giving this imposter QB a franchise QB deal!
See how you keep moving the goal? They aren't on your schedule to get to a long term deal, they will take their time. It has nothing to do with how committed the FO is to Dak. The deal will get done, Then you shutty up.

quickccc

Reaction score
We all knew while under their Rookie contracts was the best window to win with Dak and Zeke.

As we’ve discussed in other threads once you pay your QB it lessens the opportunity to win a championship as best chance is under their Rookie contract because of the ability to surround them with a stronger supporting cast.

If you strongly believe in this then I don’t see the argument in wanting to sign Dak to a contract that’s going to lessen our chances to win a championship.

We should be looking for the next best Rookie QB we can land so we can continue providing the type of supporting cast we’ve had while possibly attempting to upgrade some of its weaknesses.

And if we miss on our next Rookie QB then it will place us in a higher draft slot the next time.

It’s not like we are leaving championships behind us. We’ve missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 seasons. I’m not sure the attachment considering how paying him will lessen our chances moving forward. I’m only left with some kind of emotional attachment not what’s best for Cowboys Football.

Contracts “ of Dak/Zeke should have nothing to do with whether we should have achieved …or why were we're not achieving a Super bowl drive and win.

In 2016, we should have took advantage of two exploding on the scene rookies in a winning season, with the way they took the NFL by storm upon their arrival, and how the NFL did not realize how to quite deal with them and stop them, ..and whenever you have a championship caliber run at the Super bowl … you simply have to make it count when that (rare?) golden opportunity comes.

- Heck I think we should have took advantage of Romo’s playoff SB drive (and the infamous Dez catch vs Green Bay) Speaking of GB, ..twice Aaron Rodgers team has knocked us out of contention because we did not have a championship caliber Defense step up to advance us further.

- Heck what happened with our chances to the SB, in the Cowboys/Rams playoff game when they absolutely steamrolled us vs run for an single game NFL rushing record ?
Once again, ..the Defense !

The Pats are the very-rare exception, in how they are always in the SB hunt and favored (and play to it ) year after year after year ... and it’s been EONS since the days of Jimmie Johnson’ 90’s Cowboys, or Niners Montana teams .. but there are no year by year dynasty like teams like that in todays' NFL era.

The Rams may not ever be back to SB again, ..ditto with Philly Eagles – one team took sheer advantage (even with a backup QB) to win a SB, ..while the other NFC team folded.

Question of the Day is – do we the Cowboys have what it takes NOW to make that serious SB drive and run ?
Are we a year or two (three?) away? Could we compete vs Niners, Green Bay, Seattle and Saints to run thru Playoffs to get there ?

Last edited:

garyo1954

Reaction score

I'm ambivalent about that. It he's your guy, you really don't want to tag him. You want him in camp learning the offense with the rest of the team.

You're putting yourself in a hole and falling behind Washington and NY without him in camp.

Now, Stephen has mentioned the transition tag which means they have an idea what offers he'd receive and know they would top that figure. That means they have no intention at this point of seeing him leave.

The holdup is his agent, Todd France, who has nothing at stake, and is immovable as anything adhered with Gorilla Glue. Dak set himself up to be in this situation two years ago by his change to France. It was a premeditated, calculated risk Prescott was willing to take.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See how you keep moving the goal? They aren't on your schedule to get to a long term deal, they will take their time. It has nothing to do with how committed the FO is to Dak. The deal will get done, Then you shutty up.

JoeKing wake up brother!!!
This is it for Dak if in fact he gets tagged?
He either produces and plays like a franchise QB or bye-bye lemon Dak forever!

P.S. And don't be surprised if the Spring brings new competition at QB for Dak....

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

P.S. And don't be surprised if the Spring brings new competition at QB for Dak....
That was so funny I gave it a like. Dak is the Daddy!

garyo1954

Reaction score

They have to bring in a QB. Cooper Rush's contract is done. That leaves Cayton Thorson as the only QB on the roster.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They have to bring in a QB. Cooper Rush's contract is done. That leaves Cayton Thorson as the only QB on the roster.

I mean. Keep Dak or don’t keep Dak. It’s sound policy to draft a mid round QB every few years anyway. To see if you get lucky or can keep a cheap back up.

So I would like for them to do that

I don’t see Cooper Rush being able to get any more than the minimum from any team. So I imagine they can keep him for cheap if they want to. I would rather have a developmental guy though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
you are the one who started THIS THREAD about THESE ROOKIES

that’s on Garrett and fans like you who blindly supported Garrett so Jerry didn’t have to fire him

try again
Yea like the fans influenced Jerry’s decision. Lol

And I started this thread not as a knock on our Rookies but because how difficult it is to win a championship after these Franchises rookie contracts have passed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We all knew while under their Rookie contracts was the best window to win with Dak and Zeke.

As we’ve discussed in other threads once you pay your QB it lessens the opportunity to win a championship as best chance is under their Rookie contract because of the ability to surround them with a stronger supporting cast.

If you strongly believe in this then I don’t see the argument in wanting to sign Dak to a contract that’s going to lessen our chances to win a championship.

We should be looking for the next best Rookie QB we can land so we can continue providing the type of supporting cast we’ve had while possibly attempting to upgrade some of its weaknesses.

And if we miss on our next Rookie QB then it will place us in a higher draft slot the next time.

Wasted a window on a bad coaching staff.

Failed to make a real effort to find options to Dak and Zeke. Not like it's impossible. Got Dak and Pollard in the 4th. At least try to churn.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I mean. Keep Dak or don’t keep Dak. It’s sound policy to draft a mid round QB every few years anyway. To see if you get lucky or can keep a cheap back up.

I don’t see Cooper Rush being able to get any more than the minimum from any team. So I imagine they can keep him for cheap if they want to. I would rather have a developmental guy though.

I agree. You should be bringing in QBs. Call me biased 1969 the Cowboys once had Don Meredith, Craig Morton and Roger Staubach on the roster at the same time (before Meredith retired).

I'd be more in line with pushing the hot button. Get a vet starter and be prepared for a holdout. It increases the possibility of success over a rookie. And with any success Dak knows his days in Dallas are done.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

If you're gonna churn the mid round guys, just keep getting Daks. Guys who can run who might be able to throw someday. You bring in a backup, he's not going to be lighting the world on fire with his passing. But a running QB always gives you an edge, and doesn't need starter snap in practice to do it. And you don't have to treat a cheap one like he's made of glass either.

With White looking like a dud, we should have brought in a QB this last draft. But, no. Why would we have wanted any chance to let Dak go?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wasted a window on a bad coaching staff.

Failed to make a real effort to find options to Dak and Zeke. Not like it's impossible. Got Dak and Pollard in the 4th. At least try to churn.
That’s all water under the bridge.

The bigger issue moving forward is the odds are against us now winning a SB after paying our QB. We missed our best opportunity. Why... doesn’t really matter anymore.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you're gonna churn the mid round guys, just keep getting Daks. Guys who can run who might be able to throw someday. You bring in a backup, he's not going to be lighting the world on fire with his passing. But a running QB always gives you an edge, and doesn't need starter snap in practice to do it. And you don't have to treat a cheap one like he's made of glass either.

With White looking like a dud, we should have brought in a QB this last draft. But, no. Why would we have wanted any chance to let Dak go?
I’m beginning to wonder if all teams should start churning their QB after Rookie contracts since the success rate of winning a championship after paying them is so slim.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

We waste top picks on guys like Hill and Taco. Even move up for guys like Claiborne and other risk like Gregory. Why not use one on a QB sometimes?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Best window doesn't really mean championship or even NFCCG. The other teams at the time have to be taken into consideration but there has been this thought that having Garrett cost this team their ring or that he cost Romo his ring. That is pure speculation just as much as if Bryant makes that catch in GB, they move on.

2016 was luck. Luck they missed out on Lynch and Cook. Luck that some teams were overconfident with a 3rd string rookie QB starting.

We can play the "What If" game all day with 0 conclusions including that the window has closed or that re-signing this QB to a 35M a year deal will wreck this team's chances. We don't know that.

I will speculate that if they don't re-sign him, they will start another rebuilding with a rookie QB, or FA, and might as well go total rebuild because I believe this QB gives this team it's best chance with this window that is right now wide open. I don't see any great teams in the NFC, SF, SEA, GB, MIN, NO don't scare me. Every one of them has an Achilles, just like the Cowboys do.

The situation is a simple one to me. This team has gone too far down this road to turn back or break off the path. Either they're committed and dedicated to this team, keep as many as possible and add to them, or they're not but they've just changed out, for the most part, the entire coaching staff and the OC they did keep showed enough to be kept. Coaching staffs are changes with improved results in mind and no team has more of a right to believe that than this one with Campo to Parcells to Phillips to Garrett as proof of that.

We can have these anti Prescott threads out the wazoo and it's not going to change what is going to happen, they are going to re-sign him because he's earned it. He showed up to work every day, he's worked at improving, he's a natural leader at the position where not every QB is even considered a leader, he will sacrifice himself to make plays to try and win games and he never quits, not on himself or his team. So, he's not the guy you want. So, he's got some flaws.

The supposition with threads of this type totally miss the mark because the assumption is with a different QB, this brain trust is going to get better at picking players. Paying this QB that amount of money, when it's already out that Bridgewater will probably get 30M and that's just going to be the rock bottom for a QB1, will hamstring the FO because of the money they're paying him.

The problem is that 2016 draft was their last good one. It's not about the players picked in 2016 but in 2017-19. That is the problem.
This wasn’t intended to be an anti Dak thread. But more of an Anti-Cap thread.

I’ve always argued having an Elite QB enhances your potential but if the SB is the only goal then there’s hard evidence that once paying your QB it’s very unlikely you’ll win a SB.

That’s what spurred this thread after discussing in another thread.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’m beginning to wonder if all teams should start churning their QB after Rookie contracts since the success rate of winning a championship after paying them is so slim.

I used to think you build the oline first, then pay them as you draft defense. Today I'm thinking that's wrong.

Churn running QBs until you get a truly elite QB who can lift a cheap offense, then sign him. Draft oline. They work from day one and play 100% of snaps. Churn RBs. Get veteran WRs on the cheap.

Rotate older, but quality dline. Hunt for an elite single high safety, and pay him.

Stay in good cap shape. If you get a ring, then you sell out to keep the band together. When you run out of gas, sell off players for picks, go cheap and start over.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

Either tag him to work out a deal this offseason or dont tag him at all imo

PUSHfold

Reaction score
If they pay mediocre Dakota 37 Mil, it wont make a difference who they draft.

The Wonderlic scores meant little when it came to on-field production. Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, the NFL's Most Valuable Player, scored a 24 on the test, which ranked ninth out of 12 quarterbacks.

Broooo Dak scored higher than Mahomes on the wonderlic...Mahomes suuuuuxxxxxxx.