Cowboys blueprint to defeating the Saints, Dallas victory 38-24

Blackthorn

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a Superbowl caliber defense and the team will send shock waves throughout the NFL with this victory.

The blueprint:
Dallas must dictate the tempo.

TOP- The Saints lost to the Bucs, the Bucs had the TOP. The Saints almost lost to a stout Baltimore defense and ball control offense. In order for Dallas to win the game they must lead in time-of possession. This can be accomplished by Dallas sticking to the run game and being efficient on third downs. Dallas must methodically march down the field. If Dallas can have 4 seven-minute drives for touchdowns they will dominate the TOP. This will also allow our defense to stay fresh.

Feed Zeke- Dallas must establish the run early by feeding Zeke. He needs at least 30 touches.

Play action pass - Since the addition of Cooper, establishing the run is even more critical. The running games causes opposing defenses to stack the box. The world saw how great Cooper can be off play-action passes.

Dak must not take sacks. Timing passes, and quick outlets will mitigate the sack problem the team has had. Dak can’t afford to lose any yardage against the Saints especially when the team approaches field goal range.

When the offense is around mid-field, this is 4 down territory. Dallas has to stay in manageable down and distance. A 3rd and 2 is the perfect scenario. 4th and 1 is a must. Dallas can’t afford to punt the ball back to Brees

Dak must take deep shots down field early. With that being said, the team can’t be foolish either. The Cowboys can’t be predictable.

Dallas must score points with virtually each possession. When the team plays with a lead, the defense benefits greatly.

Dak must protect the football.

Pressure Brees. When the Cowboys blitz, the CBs must play press-man.

Stay out of Zone as much as possible. I know teams go to zone to rest DBs, I get it. However, Brees is a zone killer. Dallas must be mindful of what Brees can do if Brees dictates coverage.

DeMarcus Lawrence and Gregory must have career games. Brees, just like all QBs, get rattled when sacked, Dallas must him early and often.

Jaylon and “Wolf Hunter” must account for the RBs. Jeff Heath will play a huge role in limiting Kamara.

The defense must create turnovers to win. Dallas must limit the scoring opportunities that Brees has.

Dallas victory 38-24

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The Cowboys are 23-1 when Dak doesn’t turn the ball over, including 6-0 this season (they’re 0-5 when he does).

We’ve all seen the W/L record when Zeke has 22 or more carries.

The formula is the same. Run the ball, control time of possession, and don’t turn the ball over.

Yes, it’d be better if Dak learned to throw the ball away and not take those atrocious sacks. But don’t expect him to change overnight. He needs better coaching.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
The compounding factor here is how good the Saints are against the run. Linny will have to get creative, which is something he struggles at. NO's linebackers are also gelling and playing at a high level. And that pass rush is no joke, and they should be getting Davenport back this week.

If we truly want to win, we have to keep Brees off the field and on his back, but his OL is playing well too and giving up very few sacks. They're the most complete team in the NFL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have a Superbowl caliber defense and the team will send shock waves throughout the NFL with this victory.

The blueprint:

TOP- The Saints lost to the Bucs, the Bucs had the TOP. The Saints almost lost to a stout Baltimore defense and ball control offense. In order for Dallas to win the game they must lead in time-of possession. This can be accomplished by Dallas sticking to the run game and being efficient on third downs. Dallas must methodically march down the field. If Dallas can have 4 seven-minute drives for touchdowns they will dominate the TOP. This will also allow our defense to stay fresh.

Feed Zeke- Dallas must establish the run early by feeding Zeke. He needs at least 30 touches.

Play action pass - Since the addition of Cooper, establishing the run is even more critical. The running games causes opposing defenses to stack the box. The world saw how great Cooper can be off play-action passes.

Dak must not take sacks. Timing passes, and quick outlets will mitigate the sack problem the team has had. Dak can’t afford to lose any yardage against the Saints especially when the team approaches field goal range.

When the offense is around mid-field, this is 4 down territory. Dallas has to stay in manageable down and distance. A 3rd and 2 is the perfect scenario. 4th and 1 is a must. Dallas can’t afford to punt the ball back to Brees

Dak must take deep shots down field early. With that being said, the team can’t be foolish either. The Cowboys can’t be predictable.

Dallas must score points with virtually each possession. When the team plays with a lead, the defense benefits greatly.

Stay out of Zone as much as possible. I know teams go to zone to rest DBs, I get it. However, Brees is a zone killer. Dallas must be mindful of what Brees can do if Brees dictates coverage.

DeMarcus Lawrence and Gregory must have career games. Brees, just like all QBs, get rattled when sacked, Dallas must him early and often.

Jaylon and “Wolf Hunter” must account for the RBs. Jeff Heath will play a huge role in limiting Kamara.

The defense must create turnovers to win. Dallas must limit the scoring opportunities that Brees has.

Dallas victory 38-24

I appreciate your optimism but don't share it. Too many perfect scenarios being stacked together here, tied up with hope.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
Did you watch that saints/bucs game? Drew Brees almost brought them back to win that game with the final being 40-48. Dallas ain't scoring 48...
Dallas doesn’t need to score 48 points. If they implement a ball control offense, mitigate turnovers, state of manageable down a distance, be aggressive on fourth and one, they will win. Dallas Has to be aggressive on defense and limit the number of opportunities for brees

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Not in the mood to do all that reading. With that said, the only "Blue Print" Dallas needs is to feed Zeke & let our young Defense handle Brees. It's really that simple.

Just ask Romo, he & the Boys walked away from the Superdome against the undefeated Saints in '09. How great was that defeat? The Saints won their first SB that season.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
I appreciate your optimism but don't share it. Too many perfect scenarios being stacked together here, tied up with hope.
Way to be negative dude. Have you ever wondered why you don’t get invited to parties? If you do get the invite, does everyone stay away from you? The team has had a lot of success of light, and I believe they will win. The team is special.

Are you a Dallas fan? It’s OK if you’re not, just wondering.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Dallas doesn’t need to score 48 points. If they implement a ball control offense, mitigate turnovers, state of manageable down a distance, be aggressive on fourth and one, they will win. Dallas Has to be aggressive on defense and limit the number of opportunities for brees
The problem with them playing ball control is that Brees doesn't need very much time at all to drive the field. I'm talking 3 to 4 plays just over a minute. He is making defenses look silly.

superonyx

Reaction score
The compounding factor here is how good the Saints are against the run. Linny will have to get creative, which is something he struggles at. NO's linebackers are also gelling and playing at a high level. And that pass rush is no joke, and they should be getting Davenport back this week.

If we truly want to win, we have to keep Brees off the field and on his back, but his OL is playing well too and giving up very few sacks. They're the most complete team in the NFL.
They have a league best 3.6 ypc against the run.
We are just behind them at 3.7 but I think Brees is our problem more than Ingram.

They are a complete team for sure.
It hurts my stomach thinking of how to stop Brees on 3rd down when his completion percentage is so high and our weakness is stopping teams on 3rd down,

I have no prediction for this game.
If I wasn’t a cowboys fan and I could be objective I would say we should lose this game.

But I am and I see the Ravens and Brown almost beat them. So here we are.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Not in the mood to do all that reading. With that said, the only "Blue Print" Dallas needs is to feed Zeke & let our young Defense handle Brees. It's really that simple.

Just ask Romo, he & the Boys walked away from the Superdome against the undefeated Saints in '09. How great was that defeat? The Saints won their first SB that season.

Maybe the Saints recall that scenario and play to lose so they can repeat that outcome.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
The problem with them playing ball control is that Brees doesn't need very much time at all to drive the field. I'm talking 3 to 4 plays just over a minute. He is making defenses look silly.
I want Dallas to use ball control for two reasons. One, to limit the number of possessions. Two, Keep the defense fresh. I have noticed when the defense gets tired On most teams, they go to zone, and good quarterbacks start picking them apart.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Way to be negative dude.

So it has to be either-or for you? I have to either be drinking koolaid and thinking this 6-5 team can beat the best team in football or I'm "negative"? That sounds like a small-minded perspective.

The team has had a lot of success of light, and I believe they will win.

How so? The three wins they've strung together to get to 6-5?

The team is special.

Again, if they're "special", why are they 6-5?

More small-minded talk. This isn't worthy of an answer. If you can't figure it out, that's on you.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Way to be negative dude. Have you ever wondered why you don’t get invited to parties? If you do get the invite, does everyone stay away from you? The team has had a lot of success of light, and I believe they will win. The team is special.

Stash is alright, just a little pessimistic with it...he's a long time fan here.

I got your message. The Cowboys' mind set has to be aggressive and not content within itself. Execute and no turn-overs.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

The blueprint:

Dallas victory 38-24

I don't know if the fans also realize how important that game for cooper was right before the saints game.

Switches up the whole defensive game plan for the aints.

I expect Zeke to have a big game and for Dallas to put up points.

Dallas will win this game. Saints will run into a buzzsaw.