Twitter: Cowboys call up LB Covington

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting. Don't see the need unless he's a better special-teammer than Chunn.
They probably would have just kept LB Covington on the roster if Zeke had signed a week earlier.

They likely just put Chunn back on the 53 because Zeke signed late.

Covington has some long term potential as a Strong Side LB if he can stay healthy. I don't think they see long term potential for Chunn unless it's to tale over for Olawale in a couple of years.

Did Weber go to IR?

Chunn likely takes Covington's spot on the PS.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting piece of info - Olawale ran a 4.53 forty before coming to the NFL and Chunn ran a 4.67. I'm not sure how official these times were, but there isn't much info to be found given that neither was drafted, or expected to be. These were the only times I could find.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
xg6rpMx.gif

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Kellen Moore will figure out how to use him, unlike Linehan. He did have him running a deep route down the sideline on Sunday.

I saw him on the field several times Sunday, I believe a time or two as the only back. Of course, he didn't have any stats, but it appears there are plans for him to play at least more of a role than in the past.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I saw him on the field several times Sunday, I believe a time or two as the only back. Of course, he didn't have any stats, but it appears there are plans for him to play at least more of a role than in the past.

This has been assured by Kellen Moore as something he has in mind to do this season. He was seriously under-utilized by Linehan but it's likely to be an entirely different scenario with Moore as our OC. He seemingly sees potential in several of our talented people that Linehan never saw.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They probably would have just kept LB Covington on the roster if Zeke had signed a week earlier.

They likely just put Chunn back on the 53 because Zeke signed late.

Covington has some long term potential as a Strong Side LB if he can stay healthy. I don't think they see long term potential for Chunn unless it's to tale over for Olawale in a couple of years.

Did Weber go to IR?

Chunn likely takes Covington's spot on the PS.

That's possible. I always thought it made sense for them to just keep two backs considering the others could be stashed on the practice squad.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Weber went on IR. I assume we'll just keep two backs on the PS for now.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That's possible. I always thought it made sense for them to just keep two backs considering the others could be stashed on the practice squad.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Weber went on IR. I assume we'll just keep two backs on the PS for now.
Archer claims that Darius Jackson is being added to the ps because of Weber's injury.

quickccc

Reaction score
Olawale would be the backup in a pinch

I'm not sure Chun would be either. I imagine if Zeke or Pollard got hurt they would either move Weber off the practice squad or re-sign Morris.

I dont know Weber's current status since his knee injury
I figure If Chunn gets back to practice squad he will be called up per injury emergency

Mr_437

Reaction score
No, he simply wasn't offered the same consideration under Linehan that he will be with Moore.
Maybe Kellen Moore will figure out how to use him, unlike Linehan. He did have him running a deep route down the sideline on Sunday.
Exactly why I'm wondering what are they doing...Olawale's adjustment to that pass looked stiff and add in his drop from last year, idk.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Archer claims that Darius Jackson is being added to the ps because of Weber's injury.

Thanks. Jackson is another one of those who never seems to truly go away. I guess he's a good scout-team body at least.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting piece of info - Olawale ran a 4.53 forty before coming to the NFL and Chunn ran a 4.67. I'm not sure how official these times were, but there isn't much info to be found given that neither was drafted, or expected to be. These were the only times I could find.

Yes, those are correct or very close. I know Olawale was close to 4.5 and that Chunn was in the 4.6 range.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Exactly why I'm wondering what are they doing...Olawale's adjustment to that pass looked stiff and add in his drop from last year, idk.

He wasn't given a chance to display his skills as need be to get into a productive habit. He's really an excellent athlete.

Lack of opportunity can't foster top performance. I saw Olewale do for Oakland what he never got a chance to do here.

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
He wasn't given a chance to display his skills as need be to get into a productive habit. Lack of opportunity can't foster top performance.
When given opportunity it looks poor. Now I was a fan and know his history, but starting to question to guy after watching his only opportunities.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has been assured by Kellen Moore as something he has in mind to do this season. He was seriously under-utilized by Linehan but it's likely to be an entirely different scenario with Moore as our OC. He seemingly sees potential in several of our talented people that Linehan never saw.

I've always believed the more weapons a team has at its disposal, and the more weapons opposing defenses have to worry about, the better. Of course, opposing defenses aren't going to game plan for Olawale, but that makes him valuable as an occasional option when opponents aren't expecting it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
When given opportunity it looks poor. Now I was a fan and know his history, but starting to question to guy after watching his only opportunities.

The only way we're likely to see anything different is if he's able to get enough practice reps to do well when it counts. Linehan wasn't one to permit innovative changes to become an active part of our offensive scheme. Kellen Moore's a different story. Let's see what happens this year. Obviously, Kellen Moore sees something in Olewale that Linehan didn't. Are the years catching up with him? Good question -- he's 30, stay tuned.

Last edited: