Cowboys can't get the Secondary right

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We can never get the defense right much less the secondary.

blueblood70

Reaction score
get used to it they are going into try and build a great set of pass rushers and run stopper on the DL so having average DBs will be ok..outside of Sanders for a very short stint most of the DC Dbs all the way back to 1993 were very average.. its the lines , LBs etc that were exceptional..

if you dont give the qb time to throw, you dont have to have PB CBs..its nice to have and im sure draft pick at S and CB are coming to help out Lewis, Awuzie, and Brown..

Williamsboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys philosophy lately seems to have Both lines really strong, then we selected a few linebackers early. Funny thing is that most times the fastest way to gain alot of yards is thru the air. So not having a strong secondary makes no sense. They use mostly late round picks and hope for the best, (Awuzie and Jones the exeptions". Makes no sense.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
We can never get the defense right much less the secondary.
Just look at the Kansas City Chiefs, They added Honey Badger Mathieu and drafted Juan Thornhill after they lost to the Patriots the year before, and Voila, Super Bowl.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just look at the Kansas City Chiefs, They added Honey Badger Mathieu and drafted Juan Thornhill after they lost to the Patriots the year before, and Voila, Super Bowl.

We had an opportunity to sign Honey Badger but passed. Mahomes gets most of the credit for winning the Super Bowl. The Chiefs had to come from behind in all three of their playoff wins including the Super Bowl.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I heard some talking head state that the Cowboys can never get the secondary right. He sure hit the nail on the head on that one and now Jones is gone. I can't think of the last time we had a strong secondary, probably all the way back to Deon's days.

What is Big Mike's philosophy on the secondary, and how good were they in his Packer days?

Our prob has been a consistent pass rush up the middle, thus giving the secondary less time having to cover. Wr's will eventually get some separation if the QB can just stand in the pocket not worrying about inside pressure.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Donovan Wilson Round 6 2019
Xavier Woods Round 6 2017
Kavon Frasier Round 6 2016
JJ Wilcox Round 3 2013
Matt Johnson Round 4 2012
Akwasi Owusu Ansah Round 4 2010
Mike Hamlin Round 5 2009
Stephen Hodge Round 6 2009

THIS is a list of safeties DRAFTED by this front office in the last FIFTEEN years....

And we wonder why our secondary is constantly terrible.

NO LEADER FROM CENTRE FIELD
Delpit is the best centerfield FS in this draft and is a ballhawk. I think Dallas has plenty of SS types, not a top one but serviceable. FS is what that secondary needs and I believe Delpit could be an all-pro.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Coaching matters.

It’s not like we’ve never changed DC’s. If you look at McCarthy’s history in Green Bay he never had great defenses. The year Aaron Rodgers won league MVP in 2011 the Packers had one of the worst defenses statistically in NFL history. They went 15-1 with Rodgers carrying them.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Delpit is the best centerfield FS in this draft and is a ballhawk. I think Dallas has plenty of SS types, not a top one but serviceable. FS is what that secondary needs and I believe Delpit could be an all-pro.

Xavier Woods has only played FS.
Ha Ha played FS for the Packers.
Donovan Wilson played FS in the preseason.
Thompson started 16 games at FS for the Giants a couple of season ago.

Where are all of these "SS types" that you reference?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Donovan Wilson Round 6 2019
Xavier Woods Round 6 2017
Kavon Frasier Round 6 2016
JJ Wilcox Round 3 2013
Matt Johnson Round 4 2012
Akwasi Owusu Ansah Round 4 2010
Mike Hamlin Round 5 2009
Stephen Hodge Round 6 2009

THIS is a list of safeties DRAFTED by this front office in the last FIFTEEN years....

And we wonder why our secondary is constantly terrible.

NO LEADER FROM CENTRE FIELD

Matt Johnson was The GOAT that could have been.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys haven't got the secondary right but that doesn't mean they can't get the secondary right. I believe if they keep trying to improve it they will eventually find the right combination of players. I know it's exhausting waiting for that to happen and I don't blame those that grow frustrated. Keep the faith Cowboys fans and be patient. These new coaching hires give me hope that they are on the right path to correcting much that we have all noted to be wrong in the past.

Toro9

Reaction score
It's still a team sport and the better the pass rush the better the secondary.

Bring in a impact DE, cover corner and ball hawk safety and the Cowboys are good.

Gee, isn't that what we have been saying in here for years?
Having all 3 of those at the same time seems like a pipe dream... For this team anyway.

What's more is that Lawrence is supposed to be that impact DE but couldn't produce, even opposite Quinn and his 11.5 sacks in 14 games.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It's still a team sport and the better the pass rush the better the secondary.

Bring in a impact DE, cover corner and ball hawk safety and the Cowboys are good.

Gee, isn't that what we have been saying in here for years?

Damn Big Dog..

we been agreeing alot lately.

We ok or what?

:omg:

cowboyed

Reaction score
McCarthy has not run a draft in his life. All of the picks while he was with the Packers were done by Ted Thompson, and Brian Gutekunst for one year. It's hard to know what his philosophy was on players because he had very little say in who was selected.

How ironic, McCarthy joins the Cowboys and has more input into picking players than with the Packers. I think that is the way most teams operate with the exception of the Patriots where Belichik has more of that decision making authority. I guess that snaps one of Jerry puppeteer strings (sarcasm).

I never bought into Jerry Jones being so much a puppeteer, but more of a chronic miss and hit performing GM over the years. Being a subjective, inconsistent general manager with ownership control can be double jeopardy as it lends itself to even longer team turnarounds in this league relative to the salary cap and free agency.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We can tell that he is focused on fixing the defense this year. So at least we have that tidbit of information to put us at peace for now. If we take four defensive players in the draft I'd feel better about his efforts though.
Didnt he say something to the effect that we were going to score alot of points, and the defense is just going to have to be good enough?