Donovan Wilson Round 6 2019
Xavier Woods Round 6 2017
Kavon Frasier Round 6 2016
JJ Wilcox Round 3 2013
Matt Johnson Round 4 2012
Akwasi Owusu Ansah Round 4 2010
Mike Hamlin Round 5 2009
Stephen Hodge Round 6 2009

THIS is a list of safeties DRAFTED by this front office in the last FIFTEEN years....

And we wonder why our secondary is constantly terrible.

NO LEADER FROM CENTRE FIELD

Wilcox was a converted RB IIRC. No one knew if he could play safety and we took him in round 3!!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Plus can't fix it all in one year. So far this off-season, seems the emphasis is on the DL. So can the draft be DB / LB oriented, or one this year, and one the next. Just depends how the draft falls too. Still they are in position to go BPA regardless of position.
Agreed, plus these one-year deals need to stop with FA.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Our prob has been a consistent pass rush up the middle, thus giving the secondary less time having to cover. Wr's will eventually get some separation if the QB can just stand in the pocket not worrying about inside pressure.
Thank you.

Doesn't much matter who is in your secondary if you cant pressure the QB.

Theres an element of making your DBs better with a better rush. I think they have given themselves a chance there.

That said, the secondary probably still stinks.

Plus they have put themselves in a position of having to draft a corner early.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Also, not only are the guys they have not that good, several of them are UFAs after 2020.

Based on head count alone, they will probably need to spend several quality picks over the next two drafts on DBs.

I'm going to let them get through this draft before I go ripping them, but it would be a shame to have to pass on some good players at other positions because of the serious DB need.

Really though...we KNOW they wont spend money on a top corner...they were shy w the cheap ones too.

Any safety worth their money gets tagged. So FA isnt really a strong option.

jnday

Reaction score
It's still a team sport and the better the pass rush the better the secondary.

Bring in a impact DE, cover corner and ball hawk safety and the Cowboys are good.

Gee, isn't that what we have been saying in here for years?
A decent DT that can rush the QB would have a bigger impact on the secondary than a rookie CB, but they are not prioritizing that position either.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Cant get the dl right either. Hopefully this changes in the future

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I thought Wilcox was a second round pick. I guess he wasn’t that bad for when he was drafted. I still thought Jef was better than him
Wilcox started over the horrid heath. And Wilcox was bad.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I heard some talking head state that the Cowboys can never get the secondary right. He sure hit the nail on the head on that one and now Jones is gone. I can't think of the last time we had a strong secondary, probably all the way back to Deon's days.

What is Big Mike's philosophy on the secondary, and how good were they in his Packer days?
The secondary will be good when the defensive line can actually dominate and stop the run.