Cowboys confident Zeke can lead a running back-by-committee backfield

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well....I'm not sure what to say. No one expected to hear Zeke will be the starting lead back but here we are (LO). This is McClay speaking, not Jerry or Stephen.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...an-lead-a-running-back-by-committee-backfield

Cowboys confident Ezekiel Elliott can lead a running back-by-committee backfield​

Published May 1, 2024 05:14 PM

The Cowboys do not have an RB1 on their roster and might not when the season starts. Ezekiel Elliott is the starter by default after signing a one-year deal Tuesday.

The Cowboys did not draft a running back with any of their eight picks despite a stated interest in the top player at the position, Texas’ Jonathon Brooks. They didn’t reach for one after 15 running backs went between the Cowboys’ 87th overall pick and their next one at 174.

The team knew it had Elliott as a fallback after the sides met the night before the draft.

So, Elliott joins Rico Dowdle, Deuce Vaughn and Royce Freeman in what looks like a running back by committee.

Elliott’s touches and yards have declined every season from the previous season over the past five seasons. He had only 235 touches in 2023 when he started five games for the Patriots.

“Zeke is a winning, starting running back in the league,” Will McClay, the Cowboys vice president of player personnel, told Joseph Hoyt of lonestarlive.com on Wednesday. “So, you turn on the tape. You saw him do things, running power gap schemes, running inside and outside zone, helping in pass protection – all those things to show that the ability was still there. Adding him to this roster, it adds a guy that, No. 1, loves football; that wants to win here; that wants to be here; and that adds something to the roster from a leadership standpoint, as well as an ability to play.

SackMaster

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Whatever side of the fence you sit on with Dak…or Lance…this experiment is doing them no favors because they will get teed off on with no run game and Jerry and Stephen will act like they never saw it coming.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t read some of the facebook groups pages then. 3-1 this is the best thing since sliced bread and the invention of the wheel!
That simply can't be long-time Cowboys fans that know football. Zeke was great at one time but doesn't have the tread left to be an important part of a successful running game.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
This has to be a bargaining tool. Maybe we have sent out feelers letting teams know that we are interested. Maybe in Peirce, etc, but we don't want to have to pay too high of a price, so we are trying to make them think we are happy the way we are...right, please tell me I am right. Please??

There is no way we go into the season with Zeke penned in as the #1 back. Can there be???

Somehow I feel worse about our RB situation than I did before we signed him. And, I was on board with bringing him back as our #2, but we need young legs.