Cowboys confident Zeke can lead a running back-by-committee backfield

starfan1

Reaction score
I see many fans claiming that a RB by committee is a good thing and that it's what we should aim for. I believe you only do RB by committee if you have to because you failed to find a decent starter.
I understand. I believe that no matter the quality of the RB if the OL is not in good shape it dont matter there wont be holes. We needed LBs in the worst way but Im not sure that id have used that 3rd on Liafalu (spelling?) over the backs on the board but i have no problem with the first 3 picks. OL was biggest need on board and the games have to play out but it looks as if they did well.

Zeke and company can get us by this year I hope.

Siroky

Reaction score
A lot of fans are spoiled and want a pro bowler at every position! Starter doesn’t mean 25 carries a game. If this drafted oline can run block, and i believe that will be its strength, then Zeke can still run, and most teams have a running game by committee!

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
And you wonder why this FO has not won anything of significance in the past three decades. There's your sign. :mad:

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand. I believe that no matter the quality of the RB if the OL is not in good shape it dont matter there wont be holes. We needed LBs in the worst way but Im not sure that id have used that 3rd on Liafalu (spelling?) over the backs on the board but i have no problem with the first 3 picks. OL was biggest need on board and the games have to play out but it looks as if they did well.

Zeke and company can get us by this year I hope.
Only extreme top tier RB's can consistently gain yards w/ a bad OL. Like maybe 2 or 3.

I don't care for the Luffy pick. Looks like a career STer to me. Hope I'm wrong.

kskboys

Reaction score
A lot of fans are spoiled and want a pro bowler at every position! Starter doesn’t mean 25 carries a game. If this drafted oline can run block, and i believe that will be its strength, then Zeke can still run, and most teams have a running game by committee!
No they don't. Most teams have a starter w/ a spell back or two. The starter generally takes 60-80% of carries. I didn't look this up, so if you want to prove that I'm wrong, you are more than welcome to prove it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Only extreme top tier RB's can consistently gain yards w/ a bad OL. Like maybe 2 or 3.

I don't care for the Luffy pick. Looks like a career STer to me. Hope I'm wrong.
One minor correction. No running back can consistently gain yards w/ a bad O/L. That running back has not been born. What happens is that your great running backs will plod along and plod along and then occasionally break one which will make the final numbers look good. But there will have been nothing consistent about it. See Barry Sanders.. though his lines were never as bad as they were made out to be.. His running style just made them look bad a lot of times because he would not run through the hole where the play was designed to go. But that's a rant for another day.
A modern day example is Henry. Completely different running styles but like Barry he has many games where he gains nothing on his first 15 carries and then BOOM! 55 yards later and he goes from 15 carries for 25 yards to 16 carries for 80. Emmitt also used to have games like that when the first 12-15 carries bore very little fruit but as the game wore on his runs got longer and longer. The difference being that Emmitt seldom broke off the long run.. Instead he would go from 1 yard, 2 yard, 3 yard runs to 5 yard, 6 yard, 7 yard runs to 9 yard, 12 yard, 15 yard runs. Of course it's often argued that Emmitt's lines were always "great" but you and I know that wasn't always true. Either way it sure was fun to watch.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Right. And I would be willing to give them a “benefit of the doubt”…but not after 28 years of this. Any normal owner would have fired the GM multiple times over for the playoff performance any number of times.

A lack of accountability breeds arrogance. And arrogance at its root is stupidity. Because leaders being un-accountable for their work is just stupid.
100%

Lack of accountability and know-how is what led them to think we could go into a season with Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson as our starting receivers one year. Then, then they realized their error and had to trade a 1st rounder for Cooper.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Any organization that considers the most pathetic loss I have ever seen to be a resounding success has lost its way. Like it or not the Cowboys are lost and there is no light to be found to guide them back home.

A once proud innovative and winning organization has been reduced to a pathetic joke. This organization no more resembles the team I used to love than a rat resembles a lion.

kskboys

Reaction score
One minor correction. No running back can consistently gain yards w/ a bad O/L. That running back has not been born. What happens is that your great running backs will plod along and plod along and then occasionally break one which will make the final numbers look good. But there will have been nothing consistent about it. See Barry Sanders.. though his lines were never as bad as they were made out to be.. His running style just made them look bad a lot of times because he would not run through the hole where the play was designed to go. But that's a rant for another day.
A modern day example is Henry. Completely different running styles but like Barry he has many games where he gains nothing on his first 15 carries and then BOOM! 55 yards later and he goes from 15 carries for 25 yards to 16 carries for 80. Emmitt also used to have games like that when the first 12-15 carries bore very little fruit but as the game wore on his runs got longer and longer. The difference being that Emmitt seldom broke off the long run.. Instead he would go from 1 yard, 2 yard, 3 yard runs to 5 yard, 6 yard, 7 yard runs to 9 yard, 12 yard, 15 yard runs. Of course it's often argued that Emmitt's lines were always "great" but you and I know that wasn't always true. Either way it sure was fun to watch.
Earl Campbell. AP did it several times.

Henry is incredibly slow to the hole, which in large part causes his slow starts.