Cowboys confident Zeke can lead a running back-by-committee backfield

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Zeke had 955 yards from scrimmage last year with N.E. $3 mil is a comfortable salary amount for any team signing someone with similar production.
Nobody else wanted Zeke except the Cowboys, not even the Patriots who only needed one season of Zeke to move on.

Nobody else has to count Zeke against their cap TWICE.

This was one of the dumbest player acquisitions Jones has ever made.

He'll be the feature back all season no matter how hard he fails. Just watch.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Nobody else wanted Zeke except the Cowboys, not even the Patriots who only needed one season of Zeke to move on.

Nobody else has to count Zeke against their cap TWICE.

This was one of the dumbest player acquisitions Jones has ever made.

He'll be the feature back all season no matter how hard he fails. Just watch.
I disagree. He will be a 3rd down back, and a blocker. If he starts as the feature back, he will be injured by the 3rd game.
That said, imo, he came here on the cheap based on last years production, compared to who else was available in free agency.
Is 955 yards from scrimmage the same as nothing?

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I disagree. He will be a 3rd down back, and a blocker. If he starts as the feature back, he will be injured by the 3rd game.
That said, imo, he came here on the cheap based on last years production, compared to who else was available in free agency.
Is 955 yards from scrimmage the same as nothing?
Yes.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I don't think people have an issue with the pay of Elliott.

What they have an issue with is this notion that despite lamenting our running game last year, the Cowboys decided Zeke Elliott leading a gaggle of JAGs is the solution to our running back issues.
Reminds me of the Eddie George era.

starfan1

Reaction score
If the line does what we believe they are capable of we should be fine. part of last years problems were the running lanes at least early on were non existant.

Im not a big elliott fan i think he benefitted from a younger stronger line in 16-18 at least maybe even 19. I think the cowboys could have thrown just about anyone out there and succeeded. See Murray and McFadden if you need proof of how good they were. I am probably discrediting the RB position some but that line was that good. Heck I think Emmitt was great but there is a reason he was and it wasnt just his ability.

When the line began to fade so did elliott as did pollard. All that being said theres no reason to believe the rbbc cant succeed if the holes are there. I would have much rather had Benson but here we are. Here we Gooooo!

kskboys

Reaction score
RB by committee is what you do when you've failed to find a good starter. I always find it amazing that people on this site think it's the desired outcome.

starfan1

Reaction score
RB by committee is what you do when you've failed to find a good starter. I always find it amazing that people on this site think it's the desired outcome.
why do you think its the desired outcome? Its not the end of the world though. Heck Patrick mahomes is the desired outcome , A real GM is the desired outcome. They didnt fail to find a good starter they priortized other positions. I would have much rather had Benson but Im glad they prioritzed the OLine.

Zeke and company while not my preferred outcome it could have been worse. And who knows maybe by the time season starts it will look different than it does now

kskboys

Reaction score
why do you think its the desired outcome? Its not the end of the world though. Heck Patrick mahomes is the desired outcome , A real GM is the desired outcome. They didnt fail to find a good starter they priortized other positions. I would have much rather had Benson but Im glad they prioritzed the OLine.

Zeke and company while not my preferred outcome it could have been worse. And who knows maybe by the time season starts it will look different than it does now
I don't. Don't know where you got that from.

kskboys

Reaction score
My bad I guess I misunderstood you’re post 130
I see many fans claiming that a RB by committee is a good thing and that it's what we should aim for. I believe you only do RB by committee if you have to because you failed to find a decent starter.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well....I'm not sure what to say. No one expected to hear Zeke will be the starting lead back but here we are (LO). This is McClay speaking, not Jerry or Stephen.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...an-lead-a-running-back-by-committee-backfield

Cowboys confident Ezekiel Elliott can lead a running back-by-committee backfield​

Published May 1, 2024 05:14 PM

The Cowboys do not have an RB1 on their roster and might not when the season starts. Ezekiel Elliott is the starter by default after signing a one-year deal Tuesday.

The Cowboys did not draft a running back with any of their eight picks despite a stated interest in the top player at the position, Texas’ Jonathon Brooks. They didn’t reach for one after 15 running backs went between the Cowboys’ 87th overall pick and their next one at 174.

The team knew it had Elliott as a fallback after the sides met the night before the draft.

So, Elliott joins Rico Dowdle, Deuce Vaughn and Royce Freeman in what looks like a running back by committee.

Elliott’s touches and yards have declined every season from the previous season over the past five seasons. He had only 235 touches in 2023 when he started five games for the Patriots.

“Zeke is a winning, starting running back in the league,” Will McClay, the Cowboys vice president of player personnel, told Joseph Hoyt of lonestarlive.com on Wednesday. “So, you turn on the tape. You saw him do things, running power gap schemes, running inside and outside zone, helping in pass protection – all those things to show that the ability was still there. Adding him to this roster, it adds a guy that, No. 1, loves football; that wants to win here; that wants to be here; and that adds something to the roster from a leadership standpoint, as well as an ability to play.
no one ever accused the Cowboys FO of being football smart.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
I'm probably going to record the games, and watch them when it's convenient. I'm no longer scheduling ANYTHING around Cowboys games. If I catch wind that we lost beforehand, I'm not even going to waste my time.
You’re going to have a lot of free time next season…

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seeing the words, “Cowboys are confident Zeke can lead…” makes me reach for my wallet to make sure it’s still there. PT Barnum himself would be impressed with this sales job.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
The Cowboys are relying on too many young players to step up this year at key positions (Beebe, Guyton, Tolbert, Mazi, etc.). 8-9/9-8 season written all over it