Cowboys confident Zeke can lead a running back-by-committee backfield

Motorola

Reaction score
Might as well complete the picture and add these two as depth for the RB committee. :muttley:
giphy.gif
I guess Tony is telling Emmitt about how many times he dislocated his index finger?!

33 & 22___Dallas Cowboys Icons, NFL Legends.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well....I'm not sure what to say. No one expected to hear Zeke will be the starting lead back but here we are (LO). This is McClay speaking, not Jerry or Stephen.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...an-lead-a-running-back-by-committee-backfield

Cowboys confident Ezekiel Elliott can lead a running back-by-committee backfield​

Published May 1, 2024 05:14 PM

The Cowboys do not have an RB1 on their roster and might not when the season starts. Ezekiel Elliott is the starter by default after signing a one-year deal Tuesday.

The Cowboys did not draft a running back with any of their eight picks despite a stated interest in the top player at the position, Texas’ Jonathon Brooks. They didn’t reach for one after 15 running backs went between the Cowboys’ 87th overall pick and their next one at 174.

The team knew it had Elliott as a fallback after the sides met the night before the draft.

So, Elliott joins Rico Dowdle, Deuce Vaughn and Royce Freeman in what looks like a running back by committee.

Elliott’s touches and yards have declined every season from the previous season over the past five seasons. He had only 235 touches in 2023 when he started five games for the Patriots.

“Zeke is a winning, starting running back in the league,” Will McClay, the Cowboys vice president of player personnel, told Joseph Hoyt of lonestarlive.com on Wednesday. “So, you turn on the tape. You saw him do things, running power gap schemes, running inside and outside zone, helping in pass protection – all those things to show that the ability was still there. Adding him to this roster, it adds a guy that, No. 1, loves football; that wants to win here; that wants to be here; and that adds something to the roster from a leadership standpoint, as well as an ability to play.
I am flabbergasted by this assessment. Zeke was running on empty when he left Dallas. He certainly didn't discover any fountain of youth in New England.

I guess the FO had to say something. Maybe they could have simply said their happy to see Zeke return.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am flabbergasted by this assessment. Zeke was running on empty when he left Dallas. He certainly didn't discover any fountain of youth in New England.

I guess the FO had to say something. Maybe they could have simply said their happy to see Zeke return.
That's the spirit! Chewer on your cowboys as best as you are able!

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Zeke had 955 yards from scrimmage last year with N.E. $3 mil is a comfortable salary amount for any team signing someone with similar production.

Sydla

Reaction score
Zeke had 955 yards from scrimmage last year with N.E. $3 mil is a comfortable salary amount for any team signing someone with similar production.
I don't think people have an issue with the pay of Elliott.

What they have an issue with is this notion that despite lamenting our running game last year, the Cowboys decided Zeke Elliott leading a gaggle of JAGs is the solution to our running back issues.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Any of you buying this load of crap? I am sure he will look much faster getting those 3 yards a carry in that number 15 jersey though.
Especially when you only need 1 yard for a 1st down. :rolleyes:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well....I'm not sure what to say. No one expected to hear Zeke will be the starting lead back but here we are (LO). This is McClay speaking, not Jerry or Stephen.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...an-lead-a-running-back-by-committee-backfield

Cowboys confident Ezekiel Elliott can lead a running back-by-committee backfield​

Published May 1, 2024 05:14 PM

The Cowboys do not have an RB1 on their roster and might not when the season starts. Ezekiel Elliott is the starter by default after signing a one-year deal Tuesday.

The Cowboys did not draft a running back with any of their eight picks despite a stated interest in the top player at the position, Texas’ Jonathon Brooks. They didn’t reach for one after 15 running backs went between the Cowboys’ 87th overall pick and their next one at 174.

The team knew it had Elliott as a fallback after the sides met the night before the draft.

So, Elliott joins Rico Dowdle, Deuce Vaughn and Royce Freeman in what looks like a running back by committee.

Elliott’s touches and yards have declined every season from the previous season over the past five seasons. He had only 235 touches in 2023 when he started five games for the Patriots.

“Zeke is a winning, starting running back in the league,” Will McClay, the Cowboys vice president of player personnel, told Joseph Hoyt of lonestarlive.com on Wednesday. “So, you turn on the tape. You saw him do things, running power gap schemes, running inside and outside zone, helping in pass protection – all those things to show that the ability was still there. Adding him to this roster, it adds a guy that, No. 1, loves football; that wants to win here; that wants to be here; and that adds something to the roster from a leadership standpoint, as well as an ability to play.
The title of this article totally misleads what the facts are. Cowboys in fact said they will be looking to upgrade the RB room and that’s not Zeke.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
I don't think people have an issue with the pay of Elliott.

What they have an issue with is this notion that despite lamenting our running game last year, the Cowboys decided Zeke Elliott leading a gaggle of JAGs is the solution to our running back issues.
I don't think our 2024 starter at RB is on our roster yet, and he might not be until after Sept 1st. jmo.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He can handle short yardage and third down. Other guys between the twenties. Only chance out of the room for big plays is Vaughn and seeing ho overwhelmed he seemed last year I am not holding my breath.

if the OL gets push it will be fine. with the young blood we have a shot. a successful run game means 4 yards when you want not big plays.

Shane612

Reaction score
The state Cowboys' RB position is by far the most confusing.

Darkhound

Reaction score
I have lost ALL the hope, benefit of the doubt, and anything similar I had for this pathetic franchise.
It is a shame I cant stop being a fan.

this organization will be mediocre as long as it is ran by this idiots

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems it’s inevitable history repeats itself with the joneses and not in a good way
Right. And I would be willing to give them a “benefit of the doubt”…but not after 28 years of this. Any normal owner would have fired the GM multiple times over for the playoff performance any number of times.

A lack of accountability breeds arrogance. And arrogance at its root is stupidity. Because leaders being un-accountable for their work is just stupid.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Right. And I would be willing to give them a “benefit of the doubt”…but not after 28 years of this. Any normal owner would have fired the GM multiple times over for the playoff performance any number of times.

A lack of accountability breeds arrogance. And arrogance at its root is stupidity. Because leaders being un-accountable for their work is just stupid.
That was perfectly stated. It’s arrogance and think they know better but history shows for 28 years they’re wrong. The problem is they’re thick headed and still believe they’re smarter than the average bear. The whole league and fans can see how detrimental they are to the team

Flamma

Reaction score
Does anyone really believe Zeke is going to be RB1? I'd wager the half man will get more touches than Zeke.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I refuse to watch any more of this trash team. They can have their fat little friend. They are doing me a favor by ending it once and for all.