Twitter: Cowboys could move Collins back to guard

DHCBF66

Reaction score
If we sign a good RT then move Collins back to LG. If it is going to improve the o-line then do it. I can't stomach the idea of Bell starting at LG for another season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s be great if he only had to play 90% of one game vs Von Miller.

LOL at using a game where he gave us multiple sacks in support of how good he is.
He shut down Miller for the first 3 quarters. Miller jumped offsides multiple times trying to get a jump on him. Finally in the 4th quarter the Cowboys had to pass on every snap. Then and only then did Miller have success. That's Von Miller who is regarded as possibly the best pass rusher in the NFL...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That is a laughable assessment of the season Collins had.

You may find it funny but for most of the season even the analysts were questioning whether moving him out to tackle was the right move. He just played good the last 3 or 4 weeks and that's not enough to be considered for anything.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Hard for a player to master a position when they keep being moved around.

Gee it's funny how those who think Collins was so good at RT seem to forget that he played tackle in college but his best season by a long shot as a pro was at LG where he hadn't played until he came to the Cowboys. He seemed to be able to get that with just training camp to learn it as a rookie but now it's to much to ask that he had to RELEARN how to play tackle again? In the NFL which is much much much harder to play tackle than in college maybe just maybe the coaches were originally right that after they did try him at RT they decided in the NFL he's better suited to play guard and not tackle.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gee it's funny how those who think Collins was so good at RT seem to forget that he played tackle in college but his best season by a long shot as a pro was at LG where he hadn't played until he came to the Cowboys. He seemed to be able to get that with just training camp to learn it as a rookie but now it's to much to ask that he had to RELEARN how to play tackle again? In the NFL which is much much much harder to play tackle than in college maybe just maybe the coaches were originally right that after they did try him at RT they decided in the NFL he's better suited to play guard and not tackle.

Seems to take this coaching staff a long time to figure out where a player is best suited. Byron Jones is going into his fourth season and they still haven’t decided if they’re going to move him back to corner. According to Stephen Jones they’re still thinking about it. Entering last season they seemed sold on Chaz Green at LT.

cern

Reaction score
You may find it funny but for most of the season even the analysts were questioning whether moving him out to tackle was the right move. He just played good the last 3 or 4 weeks and that's not enough to be considered for anything.
I disagree gjk. It means he finally got the nuances of the position to the point of handling things well. He played very well at seasons end. But all's conjecture at this point.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I disagree gjk. It means he finally got the nuances of the position to the point of handling things well. He played very well at seasons end. But all's conjecture at this point.

I agree that it's all conjecture. My question to you is prior to last season his practice reps behind Leary were at LG so where or when did all of this practice come to learn the nuances of playing RT? I still believe Collins already proved he could handle LG when Leary missed almost the entire 2015 season so why move him to RT and not just find someone, like Green to play RT. In 2016 he played well for the 3 games Smith missed but then he stunk it up at LT last season against the falcons. I think some of that was because in 2016 all he practiced at was tackle and last season they moved him to LG, the only time in his entire career playing guard, and then only having 1 padded practice at LT before the falcon game to get back into the grove. To take a line from the move The Replacements in that falcon game when Green gave up the first couple of sacks he was in "quick sand" and it only got worse as time went on.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that it's all conjecture. My question to you is prior to last season his practice reps behind Leary were at LG so where or when did all of this practice come to learn the nuances of playing RT? I still believe Collins already proved he could handle LG when Leary missed almost the entire 2015 season so why move him to RT and not just find someone, like Green to play RT. In 2016 he played well for the 3 games Smith missed but then he stunk it up at LT last season against the falcons. I think some of that was because in 2016 all he practiced at was tackle and last season they moved him to LG, the only time in his entire career playing guard, and then only having 1 padded practice at LT before the falcon game to get back into the grove. To take a line from the move The Replacements in that falcon game when Green gave up the first couple of sacks he was in "quick sand" and it only got worse as time went on.
Green had injury issues in the Atlanta game where he was terrible. They think that was why he was terrible in 2017 but good in 2016.

I think they would have made Green the RT for 2017 based on ability but they figured he might ge lt injured again.

With Collins at RT for training camp, they had the option to move him back to LG but if he practiced LG in camp they wouldn't have the option to move him to RT during the season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, Rapoport is such crap.

If we're going to do it, we're going to need two OTs, then, since we don't have a backup and we'd be creating a hole at RT.

I swear, this all came from speculation from that one Archer tweet.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I swear, this all came from speculation from that one Archer tweet.

January 2018: Fans can see from Space that Dallas needs to overpay a veteran Swing Tackle

February 2018: One perfect candidate files for free agency in Cameron Fleming

March 2018: Archer decides any Fleming singing means Collins is being replaced.