Cowboys counting on Deuce Vaughn?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
Zeke will be the 3rd down/short yardage RB. I doubt the burst is there, but the ability to gain 1-4yds could be.

Zeke's pass protection ability is his best asset, so he'll be in on obvious passing downs

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I still believe the kid could be a good gadget player and make some good splash plays. Just need to figure out a way to get him involved and get him some momentum. Maybe having some new players along the Oline will open up some holes for him.

With our RB roster so far, we may not habe much choice but to find out what he can do.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If we can open up some holes Duece could be interesting.
I’ve read on other threads the Cowboys have “road graders” on their offensive line. Match that up with a “phenom” the Cowboys can start at quarterback, Duece should gain around 2,000 yards rushing.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas did not use Duece the right way last season, he needs to be used in the passing game. Out of the back field and in the slot and on screens. Get him out in space.
This is where I see a possibility for Deuce.
Looked like a very natural ball catcher on tape.
If he can play his quickness and low center of gravity to route running he should be very hard to cover.
A thick Beasley. OK to run wide, occasionally up the middle on a draw.
Gimmick rb/wr. Returner.
Don't think he makes the 53 until Turpin is out.

plasticman

Reaction score
They shelved him last season for the most part. They probably worked on getting him stronger.

I'm thinking he gets 2-5 carries a game

vlad

Reaction score
31 teams passed on signing Zeke last year when he was a free agent, only in training camp did the Patriots sign him and averaged 2.7 yards his last five games there last season yet the clown owner think Zeke can start...He's done, he has no burst, can't hit the hole anymore, a waste of a roster spot, and with other teams drafting running backs, you can get a better option when one is cut, why the rush to sign this spare is ridiculous, nobody was going to rush to sign Zeke..The running game problem with this club last year was Steele coming off an injury and Biadasz who wasn't far behind Steele with his horrendous blocking
Feel like Solari is a big question mark too

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
This is a really good question. Deuce is too small to be a feature back but there has to be something there given the lack of urgency shown at the position. Jerry is an idiot but even he must know Zeke is going to offer little. Deuce was a great player in college. I was surprised by the lack of looks last year. Were they giving him a year to build up an NFL body? There has to be something right?

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
Remember last year when MM or Coach Jerry decided not to play him on last preseason game as he was like a perennial starter? Lol… I just can’t with this whole organization…

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I doubt Freeman makes the team. He seems like the classic camp body. Cowboys will say “We like our guys” and start the season with Zeke, Dowdle, and Vaughn. I think the udfa back has a better chance to shake things up than Freeman does.
You hate Freeman and you're missing the point. The point being, Deuce was a wasted draft pick who is being given a pass because his daddy is on the coaching staff. The OP in this thread is suggesting Deuce will have more of a role in 2024. I don't think that will happen.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You hate Freeman and you're missing the point. The point being, Deuce was a wasted draft pick who is being given a pass because his daddy is on the coaching staff. The OP in this thread is suggesting Deuce will have more of a role in 2024. I don't think that will happen.
No i don’t hate Freeman. I wasn’t commenting on his ability at all. I’m just speaking on how the Cowboys handle free agency. They treat their drafted players like gold.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No i don’t hate Freeman. I wasn’t commenting on his ability at all. I’m just speaking on how the Cowboys handle free agency. They treat their drafted players like gold.
If you don't think Freeman will even make the 53-man roster, you do hate Freeman. I'm not talking about the emotion, hate. Understand in sports forums we often talk about haters but in this context means those people are detractors of a player, not angry at the player.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Chris Vaughn is not a coach.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Deuce is just too limited of a player. He can't block at all, so he compromises your pass pro schemes immediately. He can't rush up the middle, and isn't really fast enough to run outside, so he can't really function on run downs either. He's at his best catching passes in space, but he's not effective at that beyond 5 yards deep either.

I just don't see how he sticks on an NFL roster. It'd have to be as a pure punt returner.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
If you don't think Freeman will even make the 53-man roster, you do hate Freeman. I'm not talking about the emotion, hate. Understand in sports forums we often talk about haters but in this context means those people are detractors of a player, not angry at the player.
I am not talking about Freeman’s ability. I’m talking about the way the Cowboys construct a roster. They overvalue their own players.

plasticman

Reaction score
"Believe in Deuce"....."Confident in Zeke".....

The best case scenario is that these are merely two more examples of the Jones's disrespect for the intelligence of the average Cowboys fan.

....Because if they actually believe this?.…..

erod

Reaction score
Deuce was drafted because he Dad works for the team and it was a fantastic feel good story that made Jerruh look like a saint for a while. It has nothing to do with football.
Nonsense. December was dominant in college against the best teams.

There was ZERO room to run last year. Nobody looked good.