Cowboys counting on Deuce Vaughn?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
I’m hoping Vaughn gets serious consideration. He’s diminutive but quick and tough for his size. I’m thinking he could be a challenging target and difficult to locate behind what I’m hoping turns out to be a physically imposing Cowboys offensive line.

Hoping for the best here. We’ll see how it plays out.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still believe. His highlights are as good or better than anyone in this draft class. The issue is he looked really small when he got playing time last year. If he get met at or behind the line, it is pretty much a wasted play. But give him a crease and he is as good as almost anyone in the league in open space. Pass blocking is also going to be a real weakness. I hope he gets a chance though. On the other hand, he needs to earn a roster spot as well.
Your midget hate is not welcome here.

Kwyn

Reaction score
He didn't have a role last year. That is 100% of the problem. Big Mike said they had something for him. It never materialized.

Never had any plays designed for him. Never used properly in the very little playing time he got. Wasted year.
His role is and will likely continue to be an emergency back or a dude who gives people a rest a series or two a game.

Not sure what type of designed plays he’s suitable for. It’s not like he has McCaffery type versatility. He also can’t block which is a major issue and that was evident many times when he was asked to do so.

I like him. I liked the pick. I like the cultural value of the decision and keeping him around but I just don’t think he’s got the size or speed to make it.

Like I said. Happy to have him on the team but my expectations are very modest.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Deuce was drafted because he Dad works for the team and it was a fantastic feel good story that made Jerruh look like a saint for a while. It has nothing to do with football.
It was all for publicity, which is more important than the Super Bowl to Jerry.

Verdict

Reaction score
This ain't K-St. This is the NFL, which stands for "not for long" when you are his size. :p
I don’t really worry about his size or him getting hurt. He was a pretty explosive player at KState.

I am more concerned with the fact that he really didn’t get any meaningful playing time and the playing time he did get the deck was stacked against him.

I may be in the minority, but unless Zeke has somehow recaptured his burst I would play Deuce over Zeke unless Deuce can’t pass protect.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Agree
If we are transitioning to a smashmouth team....a m.Allstot clone is what we hammer with.
Luepke steadily improved in pass blocking.
Shows the ability to press a gap & bounce to daylight for a 250# guy.

He earns some carries ...see where it csn go from there
I'd be fine with an Alstott/Dunn model, but Deuce isn't Warrick Dunn and Leupke definitely isn't Mike Alstott. Whatever the scheme, we need thoroughbreds, and we have a bunch of donkeys.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
Deuce had his chances but just didn’t produce and was physically overwhelmed. Some of it was the OL blocking and some of it was they types of plays they called for him. Bottom line, he didn’t produce so wasn’t played much.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Deuce had a fairly good preseason, then he barely got used in the regular season. With Zeke and Royce Freeman on the roster, I don't see Deuce being used that much.

quickccc

Reaction score

I'm not surprised given how this coaching staff mis-schemed our RB unit .... this is not a splash scheme ...and Deuce is a splash type back.
they knew that when they drafted him ...when they scouted him.

- He's not a Maurice Drew between the tackles and he's at his best when creases open for him as a cut back runner , or clever schemes to get him into the open in a blink , ala quick screens and flair passes .. but we simply do not emphasize or scheme those type plays into our
RB game ...

- like Kellen, we may try it twice in a year ..and then stop it . RB pass game is not a emphasize with us .
We far more prefer to use RBs as mere blitz blockers ... that makes super at ease for opposing LBs - we make our RBs not factors .

- Put Deuce in a splash RB attack such as Miami, Niners, Detroit - where they are built for speed than brute power, and a Deuce has
much more a chance than what we will have here with this coach staff.

- What limits Deuce's value more is he is not a punt returner. He's novice in that area. He does not add real value in that area.
I laughed when i saw people here wanting to cut Turpin and make Deuce the new punt returner.

shabazz

Reaction score
If he is the plan, then I feel better about it. He can be a productive back in this league and a weapon.

Despite what all of the naysayers in this post say.
Yup.....still holding out hope he will be the next Darren Sproles

I'm still waiting for Parsons to be the next Lawrence Taylor, lol.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
A late sixth round pick would be a longshot to make a good roster, which Dallas had last season. I don't fault the pick as much as the roster spot. He did nothing to earn that spot. Nothing.

Sure, Deuce is quick, and he'll rip off a long run sometime. All his supporters will say "I told you so". Ultimately, he can't block, can't move a pile, can't break tackles, and has a limited catch radius (although he can catch well). This all adds up to an extremely limited player. The definition of a gadget player. Defenses know what he can and cannot do also. Predictable.

StarLord

Reaction score
He will be given a fair opportunity to show he belongs on the team. No RB1 on the roster. A short yardage/blocker and some guys.

Training camp will be interesting to see. Do we have a better run blocking team? Do they have any semblance of a plan for a player like Deuce?

If they just plan to use him exactly as they did in year 1, then they shouldn't just cut him.

starfan1

Reaction score
There is literally a ton of game film from his K-St days.

Not being able to come up with some kind of package isn't just lazy it's dumb.

Big Mike gets a huge F grade for his effort last year with Deuce.
I have to applaud you as you have a pretty positive outlook for pretty much the entire draft class from last year and most any cowboy who doesn’t have a 3 letter name

I like positive post . I’m not as certain Duece can contribute while Turpin is on the roster but you never know

Chasing6

Reaction score
He will be given a fair opportunity to show he belongs on the team. No RB1 on the roster. A short yardage/blocker and some guys.

Training camp will be interesting to see. Do we have a better run blocking team? Do they have any semblance of a plan for a player like Deuce?

If they just plan to use him exactly as they did in year 1, then they shouldn't just cut him.
If we can open up some holes Duece could be interesting.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Deuce had a fairly good preseason, then he barely got used in the regular season. With Zeke and Royce Freeman on the roster, I don't see Deuce being used that much.
I doubt Freeman makes the team. He seems like the classic camp body. Cowboys will say “We like our guys” and start the season with Zeke, Dowdle, and Vaughn. I think the udfa back has a better chance to shake things up than Freeman does.

Verdict

Reaction score
Deuce had his chances but just didn’t produce and was physically overwhelmed. Some of it was the OL blocking and some of it was they types of plays they called for him. Bottom line, he didn’t produce so wasn’t played much.
He didn’t do much in limited duty, but the situations he was placed in weren’t very conducive to his success. So it’s a bit difficult to determine if he can’t get the job done or the situation he was placed in.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Deuce was drafted because he Dad works for the team and it was a fantastic feel good story that made Jerruh look like a saint for a while. It has nothing to do with football.
I recall the embarrassing War Room video of Jerry gushing about him and McCarthy just going along with, "Oh, I'm all in on him!"