Cowboys Culture causes this teams problems

Jfconrow

Reaction score
When your last 3 drafts went like this your not winning anything:

Hill/McGovern
Vander Esch/ Williams
Taco

They haven’t had a good draft since 2017, I’m liking the Ceedee/Diggs draft, but Cooper is probably on his way out(used 1st round pick), and the line play is so shaky they won’t be able to use all the skill players.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Water is wet

The biggest problem with this franchise is not the coach, qb, defense. Its the culture that the owner has created.

3 different coaches since Parcells left, and we still see an undisciplined stupid football team
On this sir. We couldnt agree more.

mperfection

Reaction score
Dallas = Entertainment business
Seattle, S.F, Patriots, etc = foootball business

Jerry makes money hand over fist so why change the program. Dallas will never change until we let go of the entertainment mind set
This is a sad, sobering, and scandalous assessment, but a very TRUE one nonetheless!

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Been this way for years, years, oh, and years.

I've been saying this for years. The Cowboys only get better and start contending when the Jones FINALLY sell the team.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was watching an old Saturday Night Life montage with Steve Martin last night. One particular skit stuck with me as relevant to the Cowboy's culture: Steve Martin's famous "I blame myself" line.

Sure, it is easy to point to the owner, the GM, the coaches, the scheme, the players or, even force majeure. At various times and in various combinations, all have been contributing factors in the Cowboy's performance the past quarter of a century (let that sink in just a bit).

However, there is another important factor that contributes to my dismay and that is my expectations as a fan. And, for that, I blame myself.

Looking at the Cowboy's past success, my expectations have been pre-conditioned to believe that any given year, they can recapture past glory. Maybe I expect too much and, for that, I blame myself.

Don't get me wrong, I am a life-long Cowboy fan and always will be. However, the past few years have taught me temper expectations, enjoy the team and franchise for what they are and be thankful for their past success.

Some of my fondest memories as a child was watching the Cowboys with my father (who, incidentally, would have fit in really, really well in this forum). I am very greatful for those memories and for what the Cowboys meant for me and my dad.

HoplessCowboysFan36

Reaction score
I thought big boy McCarthy was supposed to be a no nonsense coach? His team looks worse than a Garret team after 3 weeks. What a fraud so far.

Guy had hardly any time with the team before the season opener. Ridiculous to hang this on him. Change dont happen instantly. Ill admit I'm disappointed with our start, but definitely not ready to pull the plug. After his first year and we are still having the same problems, then its time to panic.

HoplessCowboysFan36

Reaction score
I was watching an old Saturday Night Life montage with Steve Martin last night. One particular skit stuck with me as relevant to the Cowboy's culture: Steve Martin's famous "I blame myself" line.

Sure, it is easy to point to the owner, the GM, the coaches, the scheme, the players or, even force majeure. At various times and in various combinations, all have been contributing factors in the Cowboy's performance the past quarter of a century (let that sink in just a bit).

However, there is another important factor that contributes to my dismay and that is my expectations as a fan. And, for that, I blame myself.

Looking at the Cowboy's past success, my expectations have been pre-conditioned to believe that any given year, they can recapture past glory. Maybe I expect too much and, for that, I blame myself.

Don't get me wrong, I am a life-long Cowboy fan and always will be. However, the past few years have taught me temper expectations, enjoy the team and franchise for what they are and be thankful for their past success.

Some of my fondest memories as a child was watching the Cowboys with my father (who, incidentally, would have fit in really, really well in this forum). I am very greatful for those memories and for what the Cowboys meant for me and my dad.

Well said my friend! I grew up the same way.

zerofill

Reaction score
Water is wet

The biggest problem with this franchise is not the coach, qb, defense. Its the culture that the owner has created.

3 different coaches since Parcells left, and we still see an undisciplined stupid football team

Not letting these players off that easy though... and blame it on the owner. They are grown men, who get to play a game for an incredible amount of money, and have no self discipline.
Where do we find these frigging people? Do we put an ad out for players with limited mental capacity?

Even the crappiest play calling, if executed well can do something...

And defense... WTH??? Aldon Smith apparently came back hungry. But, he will be just as bad as DLAW after he gets another contract probably.

I wonder how many of these players stay after practice to get things right? I have a feeling they are all out the door as soon as the clock strikes end of practice.

This franchise is such an embarrassment... has been for so many frigging years.

You know, we had the Super Bowls in the 90s, when there was an open checkbook... But, does anyone remember the videos of Jimmy at practice?
Intensity, total focus on winning...

I think if you have a coach with that intensity now, the players would cry, and run to daddy Jerry.

What a joke this group is...

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
I think there’s some truth to this. Come to Dallas where you get the spotlight for literally just being a cowboy. You’r play don’t matter. They’ll talk about you... you’re a superstar

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys culture? What exactly is that? My understanding of that is based on my observations of how Booger works with his coaches and there has only been one he let run the show and establish his own culture. And that's who should be establishing it.

Booger is a players' GM, to the detriment of his coaches. He undercut Parcells twice with Owens. First by acquiring him against his coach's wishes and when that coach tried to show Owens some tough love by referring to him as "the player", Booger came riding in to save the day with breakfast once a week with his newest toy. Message to players "some of you are special". Remember all of that mess Snyder created with preferential for Robert Griffin III, tell me some of those blocks weren't intentional "lookout blocks".

Wade Phillips openly asks to increase fines because players are showing up late, the opposite of that famous "Lombardi time", and not only is he denied but informed that some players have "media passes". When the team starts unravelling, any surprise that Phillips was the sacrificial lamb?

Owens openly tosses his OC, Garrett, and Booger's response is "I have no problem with that". Well, The Niners and Eagles had a problem with that and sent him packing.

Booger is the undeniable HMFIC of the Cowboys and I have been in that position and didn't take me long to find out I couldn't hold managers accountable until I made them totally responsible. To the point of staying out of their department meetings because it sent the wrong message and turned heads the wrong way.

I think one of the main reasons that the HC search was called off and McC offered the job after 12 hours was one simple fact and Booger gave us the clue in what he liked best about Garrett, "he makes me comfortable". In interviewing any HC, Booger's comfort level is a priority and that HC must understand his place in the organization. He is not to speak unless asked to and if he speaks out of turn, he will pay for that. Remember Garrett and the Linehan is coming back? He was made to withdraw that within the day and even went so far as to say he didn't know what he said.

Sorry me buckos, but you want to be a Cowboys fan, this comes with the territory and it's not changing as long as he can sit up and spew forth. I know some of you, most noteworthy my man cern, want to believe that Booger has relinquished his death grip on the team and the lucky sperm is in control but all evidence is to the contrary. And death grip is the correct term because just like his mentor, Crazy Al, til death do them part.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah..

But the old fool Jerrah is still controlling everything.

As much as many think McCarthy is independent of Jerrah..

he is not.

We can still see Jerrah at work.

Moore still being here is not McCarthy.

It's the old fool still calling the shots about staff.

Some have said Moore is the leading next HC coach

and that is probably true.

It never stops

I don't know that it's about him running the show, I think it's more about him being the face off the organization, it gives the impression to the players that the coach is powerless. I heard him say today he has the game plan every week, watches the film then is involved in the corrections, we know he speaks in the lockeroom, I love his passion and love him as the owner, but I think sometimes his aurora takes away from just pure football.

kwcool619

Reaction score
On this sir. We couldnt agree more.

Many people in our fan base share the same opinion.

Here in L.A. people know about the culture of the Rams: Building from game to game.
The Chargers: Even though no Charger fan will admit being a Charger fan, there is some hope. The Chargers culture is giving it all on game day and play with purpose. Yes, the results gave been mixed. They almost executed a perfect hook and ladder on Sunday. Does Kellen Moore have one in his playbook?

Last edited:

Vanilla2

Reaction score
It’s been the same problem for 25 years and there is no one to blame but the coaches and players. Jerry has done all he can to win as GM putting the best players on the field. Who by the way aren’t doing things the right way and are definitely not stacking good days

Williamsboys

Reaction score
So we're like a Culture clube, eh??
Do you really want to hurt me..
Do you really want to make me..
Cry Cry Cry??

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Guy had hardly any time with the team before the season opener. Ridiculous to hang this on him. Change dont happen instantly. Ill admit I'm disappointed with our start, but definitely not ready to pull the plug. After his first year and we are still having the same problems, then its time to panic.

I’m not ready to pull the plug either on him but I’m not giving him excuses much longer. Yes there will be some mistakes but as many mistakes they have had and magnitude of them? It looks at times like this is the first ever football game for some of these players. The secondary gaffs, Special teams ect..