Cowboys currently sit with the 3 overall draft pick

phildadon86

Reaction score
Until today I was convinced the Cowboys wouldn't win another game but I think we are probably out of the running for a top 3 pick. Jets and Jags will probably be 1 and 2. Then the Cowboys probably beat the Giants and Football Team. We can still get a great player at 5 or 6 so not too upset. Just won't get the crazy haul for a trade down like we would have at pick 2.
Did you see us play the football team last time? Were you present?

Gaede

Reaction score
Dak is a franchise QB in the same way Kirk Cousins is a franchise QB. Most people are just too lazy to see the obvious regarding Dak. We need a better QB not a consistent stat padder that oftentimes puts up his best stats when we are down by 2/3 tds in the 4th.

We are going to have to agree to disagree here.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Everyone has a different opinion about tanking, but the Cowboys looked way better today than they have all season. Gallimore, Randy Gregory, LVE, Diggs, Aldon Smith look like players we can really build with on D and the offense was juiced with Dak on the field. The Oline should be back intact next year and they have 4 comp picks in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th rounds respectively. Having the 2nd or 3rd overall pick is important because I think there will be a bidding war for Justin Fields and I think it would benefit the Cowboys more to trade the pick & add draft picks and have the flexibility to move around in the draft to get players they really want/need. I can really see this being one of those 3-13 to 13-3 teams in one year (similar to the 2015/2016 Cowboys).
Since JJ has left, the Cowboys haven't had a fantastic draft. Blame the GM for that. But the Owner looks at his bottom line and thinks, keep at it, you're doin' good... overall!!!!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In the final analysis, I think the Cowboys will be better off for having given Gilbert his opportunity to prove himself vs. the Steelers. As much as I hate to give up an opportunity to get a higher draft position, it looks like GG will be our QB for the remainder of 2020. As much as I'd like to see this team get a #3 pick or thereabouts, that might end up not being the case, once Gilbert gets better acquainted with the offense. In any event, we'll see how far he's able to take his newfound team. :)

Last edited:

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
If jets have 1 Lawrence is going to threaten to never play a down for them imo. It’s conceivable that if we are keeping dak which imo we will than we could trade up from 4 to 1 and then recoup any compensation we lose by trading 1 to New England. Again unlikely to happen but we can dream.

jets will never trade with New England. New England will be craving Lawrence. Dallas could capitalize

uvaballa

Reaction score
IF you STAY at 3rd overall......what defensive prospect you're taking??????? In other words, other than QB who's the draft 3rd best prospect? We are not drafting a QB........
Trade back and get more picks then. The defense needs as much help as possible.

It looks like there are some very good corners coming out but I prefer DL.

csirl

Reaction score
I'm going the other way here. If Jerry and Dak/Todd France couldn't come to an agreement the past 2 offseasons, I don't see anything changing. If anything, its more complicated now b/c of Dak's injury. A top 2 pick gives Jerry the option of cheaply replacing Dak with a QB with a higher ceiling. This is a particularly viable option b/c the salary cap in going down next year. So, even if we tag Dak at 38M or sign him to something in that ballpark, that's 21% of the salary cap. How do you build around that?

:hammer:

blueblood70

Reaction score
can we not wait until say week 15 to start these draft watches every week posting it is a waste of time drafts not until april the mocks change daily and the position will also change..why keep discussing now as if the drafts 4 weeks away. after FA after the season.. so much will change , this is far too early.

ultron

Reaction score
Trevor might decide to force a trade if the Jets have the pick...there is that scenario.

Will Dak already be signed or under the franschise tag again at that point....maybe neither.

:popcorn:
This is certainly something to keep an eye on and I believe Trevor’s dad said he would probably go back to Clemson if the Jets have the pick. With that being said, I don’t think the Cowboys would keep the Trevor Lawrence pick, I think they’d look to trade it - I really think Dak is their guy.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Alot of teams with 2 wins, if the Jets lose tonight they will not or try to win this year, especially if not going to keep Sam.

Motorola

Reaction score
Not sure there is a path to the number two or one pick. The Jets certainly don’t have any games on their schedule that look winnable unless it’s a playoff team with nothing to play for and they just really fight hard to not go 0fer on the year. The Jags also look pretty unstoppable to finish with one win.
With the added wildcard spot for each conference, only one division winner is going to get a bye. The 6 other division winners will be playing for a higher seed + home playoff game for the divisional round (after wildcard wins).
I don't see qualifying teams easing up the last two weeks of the regular season.

marius

Reaction score
Dallas need to lose all the games, they have the oportunity to have the 2 or 3 pick, now we are 4th, we need to go after Justin Fields, and make bussiness with Dak, to have more picks, this team need to rebuild, and this its the perfect time,

TheViper7

Reaction score
Bingo!!!!!!

Imagine an OL unit of Smith, Sewell, Biadasz, Martin, and Collins......as stated in another thread, he's not just your potential ALL PRO future LT and Smith backup but your current LG.

No defensive top 5 picks in THIS draft can have that type of impact.
Man. Im not gonna lie, thats an amazing thought of having that offensive line next year and of course not lose much when and if you have to kick Sewel outside when Tron goes down like he does every year. Dang. But i disagree that there arent any defensive guys in this draft that woukdnt have Sewels impact. There are a few off the top of my head like Parsons and Surtain. Ive heard some posters mention Farley too(ill take that as well). We have to fix this defense. Two top prospects off the first and second round would help that soooo much. BUT again, that thought of putting Sewell on this Oline with the returning tackles is really something. Now im torn.

Gaede

Reaction score
Well you could've keep that to yourself but I guess you just wanted to reply. Ok then. Have a good one

I want you to know I think you're wrong and it's not worth debating because if you haven't seen it by now from Dak, for whatever reason, you never will.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Everyone has a different opinion about tanking, but the Cowboys looked way better today than they have all season. Gallimore, Randy Gregory, LVE, Diggs, Aldon Smith look like players we can really build with on D and the offense was juiced with Dak on the field. The Oline should be back intact next year and they have 4 comp picks in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th rounds respectively. Having the 2nd or 3rd overall pick is important because I think there will be a bidding war for Justin Fields and I think it would benefit the Cowboys more to trade the pick & add draft picks and have the flexibility to move around in the draft to get players they really want/need. I can really see this being one of those 3-13 to 13-3 teams in one year (similar to the 2015/2016 Cowboys).
Cowboys are winning a few more games, probably pick 10th or so