Cowboys currently sit with the 3 overall draft pick

fivetwos

Reaction score
7 teams with 2 losses, how do the cowboys pick above all 7??
might we not be # 7 or 8?
It seems like your just assuming dallas would pick above whoever they are tied with.

and mainly jerry is still in win mode, he isnt tanking . dallas will win more games, especially if they stay with gilbert.
Tiebreakers are based on strength of schedule. Look at the division they play in. They have the Giants beat also....unless TB and Chi end up worse combined than Atl and Min. Not likely.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
look at all the top 5 picks from the last 10 years and tell me how many of them fulfilled those expectations.
It’s not about the top 5 pick. It is the ability to trade that pick and get more talent. Also we get top picks at the the beginning of each round. We actually draft well for the most part.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Totally disagree. With Dak, we had the #1 offense. Steelers came out flat, but when they decided to show up 2nd half, we were done offensively.
Finally someone mentions the idea that Pittsburgh decided not to show up.

Gaede

Reaction score
Big fan of all the top QBs. But realistically, we aren't going to draft one when Jerry wants to win and Dak is a franchise QB.

Hopefully we end up with pick two, rather than three, so we can get a bounty of picks for Fields, trade down a few spots and pick up a Parsons-type player. I still think there will be trading opportunity at 3, but not as likely. If we can't trade out, have to take Sewell, even if we already have two starting tackles. He's a prospect too good to pass up.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm very concerned about the signs of life we saw yesterday. The defense actually looked good most of the game, and Gilbert might develop into a 4-5 win QB. He reminds me of a less developed Kurt Warner.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Big fan of all the top QBs. But realistically, we aren't going to draft one when Jerry wants to win and Dak is a franchise QB.

Hopefully we end up with pick two, rather than three, so we can get a bounty of picks for Fields, trade down a few spots and pick up a Parsons-type player. I still think there will be trading opportunity at 3, but not as likely. If we can't trade out, have to take Sewell, even if we already have two starting tackles. He's a prospect too good to pass up.

Bingo!!!!!!

Imagine an OL unit of Smith, Sewell, Biadasz, Martin, and Collins......as stated in another thread, he's not just your potential ALL PRO future LT and Smith backup but your current LG.

No defensive top 5 picks in THIS draft can have that type of impact.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm going the other way here. If Jerry and Dak/Todd France couldn't come to an agreement the past 2 offseasons, I don't see anything changing. If anything, its more complicated now b/c of Dak's injury. A top 2 pick gives Jerry the option of cheaply replacing Dak with a QB with a higher ceiling. This is a particularly viable option b/c the salary cap in going down next year. So, even if we tag Dak at 38M or sign him to something in that ballpark, that's 21% of the salary cap. How do you build around that?

Gaede

Reaction score
Bingo!!!!!!

Imagine an OL unit of Smith, Sewell, Biadasz, Martin, and Collins......as stated in another thread, he's not just your potential ALL PRO future LT and Smith backup but your current LG.

Absolutely. And defense isn't the only thing holding us back this year. The OL has been bad, because of Smith and Collins unreliability. So fixing the OL will go a long way to fixing this team.

Gaede

Reaction score
I'm going the other way here. If Jerry and Dak/Todd France couldn't come to an agreement the past 2 offseasons, I don't see anything changing. If anything, its more complicated now b/c of Dak's injury. A top 2 pick gives Jerry the option of cheaply replacing Dak with a QB with a higher ceiling. This is a particularly viable option b/c the salary cap in going down next year. So, even if we tag Dak at 38M or sign him to something in that ballpark, that's 21% of the salary cap. How do you build around that?

I think that's a compelling argument, actually. It's totally possible Stephen looks at the numbers and decides he'd rather build around a low cost QB.

Carter

Reaction score
We will win 2-3 more games. We still play the Giants, Eagles and Commanders and some other not so good Teams.

JMPearson

Reaction score
I must've missed the plays Aldon Smith made today.

Right now the keepers on defense are DLaw, LVE, and Diggs. If Gallimore keeps this up, you can add his name.

He has fumble recover to win the game until something happened

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Bingo!!!!!!

Too much money tied up with the OL. If we want to replace Williams, they can do that later in the draft. It is a total waste to play Sewell at Guard.

reddyuta

Reaction score

we can see atleast 3 QBs go top 5 in the draft,if we want to trade down the opportunity will be there.

Philmonroe

Reaction score

Dak is a franchise QB in the same way Kirk Cousins is a franchise QB. Most people are just too lazy to see the obvious regarding Dak. We need a better QB not a consistent stat padder that oftentimes puts up his best stats when we are down by 2/3 tds in the 4th.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Bingo!!!!!!

OL looked better with Looney versus Biadasz.

Still don’t understand why Cowboy fans always want to draft offense in the first round every year and then complain about the defense. It hasn’t worked in forever maybe they should start shifting their strategy.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
OL looked better with Looney versus Biadasz.

Still don’t understand why Cowboy fans always want to draft offense in the first round every year and then complain about the defense. It hasn’t worked in forever maybe they should start shifting their strategy.

IF you STAY at 3rd overall......what defensive prospect you're taking??????? In other words, other than QB who's the draft 3rd best prospect? We are not drafting a QB........

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
we can see atleast 3 QBs go top 5 in the draft,if we want to trade down the opportunity will be there.

Maybe but at what price.......only 2 truly QB needed teams are in the top 10 ( Jags and Jets ). Sure, Falcons, Colts, 49ers may look to change 2021 QBs but do they enough amo to move to the 3rd overall spot?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just my opinion, but If we end up picking 3rd, it could be a challenge for this organization. In that position we likely miss out drafting one of the top two QBs or, more likely, trading down for a big draft haul. There doesn't appear to be a defensive player worthy of of top three pick, meaning the best and safest pick is probably Sewell... Not a bad consolation.