Twitter: Cowboys cutdown to 53 thread *Post #1 Updated* ***Merged***

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep Randall and Dunbar over Williams?

This team is clueless anyone that defends it isjust toeing the company line. Dunbar is a gimmick and Randall has no quickness, vision, or ability. Wow just wow.

I'd have kept them both over Williams, too. Though I'd have cut Clutts and tried one of the LBs at HB.

Clearly, people can disagree with you without just toeing the company line. If you didn't see the Williams cut coming, you really couldn't have been paying much attention to ST play in preseason.

Last edited:

Tawney88

Reaction score
I'd have kept them both over Williams, too. Though I'd have cut Klutts and tried one of the LBs at HB.

Clearly, people can disagree with you without just toeing the company line. If you didn't see the Williams cut coming, you really couldn't have been paying much attention to ST play in preseason.
I saw it coming when the forced that abortion of a pick Randall returning kicks. Mentioned it in the game thread. It was the team trying to prove he us valuable. Watch the guy play he is terrible. Dunbar is a gimmick the Jones and Garrett are in love with. Falling in love with Jags doesn't help build a team. But I should learn to deal with it, it's how Jerry rolls.

Frozen700

Reaction score
We basically went long at OT and QB, at the expense of a RB and a WR we all liked. And we'll probably add one of those guys back in Lawrence's slot if/when they clear waivers.

I think everyone is scared of losing Byrd. Someone will pick him up

Zman5

Reaction score
I'd have kept them both over Williams, too. Though I'd have cut Klutts and tried one of the LBs at HB.

Did you see Dunbar play ST? Did you watch Randall return kicks?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Who? Who was cut that drastically outperformed their competition in front of them? Williams? I like him but he didn't drastically outperform Randle, no matter what you want to think. Randle ran just as well against starters as Williams did against the backups. Dunbar? Completely different skill set. Which receiver was going to get cut? They are not cutting a 5th rnd pick in his rookie year. NO ONE does that. Look around the league and tell me someone who has. This hand wringing is ridiculous... even by our beloved site administrator. I love this site and have mad respect for Reality but there isn't a single cut that isn't justified. Would I like to have more talent depth so we didn't have to keep some of the scrubs that are still here? Absolutely and hopefully there will be people on the waiver wire better than what we were forced to keep. For the record I am not happy that we kept Parnell, Weems, and to a lesser extent Wetzel. I am not happy we have Hayden, Heath, Lawrence or for that matter Claiborne but who did we cut that was better than those guys? Does our depth suck? Yes but they are better than who we cut.

Byrd outplayed Street, and they played against the same guys on the other teams. Byrd outperformed Street and it wasn't even close. Not only did Byrd make more plays, he is bigger, stronger, faster, separates better and has better hands. Just because Street was a Cowboys draft pick, he should be kept??

Bishop should have been waived and placed on PS or cut Hayden and develop Bishop. McClain, Hayden, Bishop are all 1 techs on a team that schemes for the 3 tech to be the playmaker. Cowboys have the exact same number of true 3 techs on the roster and one is injured and may not be 100% this season. There are trash cans full of dirt on every team's scrap heap, why was it so important for us to keep THREE?? 3 mediocre ones no less.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
I am normally pretty optimistic in general about our team but here is what KILLS me.

We keep a FB over Ryan Williams? Not a good FB, but a pretty subpar FB over a good RB in Williams.

Williams should of been priority over both Clutts and Randle. That part aggravates me immensely.

Also, we keep 3 QB's on the roster. WHY!? If we were going to keep Vaughn.... then cut Weeden! We do not need 3 QB's and Weeden staying doesn't do Vaughn any favors.
We could of dumped Weeden or stashed Vaughn on the practice squad and kept an additional player like....

Byrd... We could of easily went 6 at WR because this kid can flat out play. He didn't even get a chance to shine with the 1's. He will be a very good player, and by all means better get put on PS.
Clutts/Vaughn is not more valuable than Byrd imo.

Also, I thought Minter was close to making the team. I would of taken Minter over Hayden.

Hayden/Heath are worthless roster spots. One of the backups shouldn't be here.

I am disappointed that Mitchell didn't make the team. I really liked how well he played in the regards of being close to the WR at all times. He was pretty much glued to the WR, granted he was glued too much which he got flagged for alot... but he could of easily been taught to reduce the physicality. The fact he was spot on the WR was good.

We better go out and redeem our horrible cuts by putting Williams/Byrd on PS and grabbing Sam from Rams waivers.

FACEPALM. Heath is like the ex girlfriend that you simply can't get rid of.

Reactions: BAT

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you see Dunbar play ST? Did you watch Randall return kicks?

Williams was never competing with Lance Dunbar. You have to let that go. Dunbar is on this team because he's a playmaker in space. He wasn't a cut-down consideration.

Randle is better than Williams in both passpro and in ST coverage. If you're a back-roster RB, you have to play teams better than Williams can, or else you get cut because they can't use you on game day.

We know this, people. It's a similar discussion every year. You rarely go four-deep at a position where you can routinely find a walk-on starter in the second or third round.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Personally, I would have been right. See, I can play this game too.

No, because Williams is not likely to be used much, just like Randle won't. Randle showed some quick cutting ability to his game and the ability to contribute on special teams coverage. Dallas did not show off Dunbar much, but the player is a scatback who was breaking linebackers ankles in camp. Linehan will use him in space.

I didn't dislike Williams. I think he's a hard runner with a little pop to his game. But he also can't find the hole at times and gets swallowed up by the line. He's a good player, but it wasn't like he showed himself to be a world beater when he was in there. He had one outstanding run and a bunch of OK ones.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I wish they would have kept Williams.

I would have ditched the FB or the 5th safety. If it came to it I would have gotten rid of a QB.

With the injury history at the position I'm a little surprised they didn't keep the extra RB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think everyone is scared of losing Byrd. Someone will pick him up

I'm afraid of if, too. I get keeping a QB if you really think you have something. But I don't get the three backup OTs when you have Martin, too. And Clutts is there for you whenever you want him. That's a position where you try out a player from another position to save a roster spot if you can.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Reaction score
I am normally pretty optimistic in general about our team but here is what KILLS me.

We keep a FB over Ryan Williams? Not a good FB, but a pretty subpar FB over a good RB in Williams.

Because the team plans to use the fullback, but has not plans to use a fourth RB. It was either keep Clutts or bring in another FB/HB blocking type. It was never Clutts vs. Williams.

Williams should of been priority over both Clutts and Randle. That part aggravates me immensely.

Randle played his way onto the team this summer, both when he was given chances at RB and on special teams (coverage, not returns).

Also, we keep 3 QB's on the roster. WHY!? If we were going to keep Vaughn.... then cut Weeden! We do not need 3 QB's and Weeden staying doesn't do Vaughn any favors.
We could of dumped Weeden or stashed Vaughn on the practice squad and kept an additional player like....

I could have lived with dumping Weeden because I didn't see the awareness from him that's needed to succeed in the league. Guess they didn't want to just go with the rookie as a backup.

Byrd... We could of easily went 6 at WR because this kid can flat out play. He didn't even get a chance to shine with the 1's. He will be a very good player, and by all means better get put on PS.
Clutts/Vaughn is not more valuable than Byrd imo.

I do not get the love for Byrd. He made one really nice play, the TD catch, and another pretty decent one on the screen, but was otherwise outplayed by Newsome.

Also, I thought Minter was close to making the team. I would of taken Minter over Hayden.

They don't play the same spot and Hayden was a lock to make this team while Minter was just an added body. He has some quickness, which is worth developing on the PS, but he has a bad body and gets pushed around too much ... yes, even more than Hayden.

Hayden/Heath are worthless roster spots. One of the backups shouldn't be here.

Heath is a contributor in the nickel defense and special teams. He's probably our third-best safety right now and one of the top special teammers. He might be worthless to you, but we can't get rid of him until we at least find something better.

I am disappointed that Mitchell didn't make the team. I really liked how well he played in the regards of being close to the WR at all times. He was pretty much glued to the WR, granted he was glued too much which he got flagged for alot... but he could of easily been taught to reduce the physicality. The fact he was spot on the WR was good.

He was glued to the receiver because he latched onto them. I'm not sure he has the talent to play CB in this league with the way the rules are. He's a bump and bump and bump and run corner and the NFL just doesn't allow it. Patmon was the better player because he could run with receivers without grabbing on to them.

We better go out and redeem our horrible cuts by putting Williams/Byrd on PS and grabbing Sam from Rams waivers.

I don't think we made any horrible cuts. There were some questionable ones, but the only real question was is the bottom-of-the-roster guy we cut better than the bottom-of-the-roster guy we kept? That kind of question shouldn't keep us up at night.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I wish they would have kept Williams.

I would have ditched the FB or the 5th safety. If it came to it I would have gotten rid of a QB.

With the injury history at the position I'm a little surprised they didn't keep the extra RB.

They weren't going to ditch the fullback because they have plans to use him, just like they did with the starting offense this preseason.

It's hard for me to fathom why people didn't see that coming. We either go with four tight ends or three and a fullback, and we never had a fourth tight end that was in contention this year.

Zman5

Reaction score
No, because Williams is not likely to be used much, just like Randle won't. Randle showed some quick cutting ability to his game and the ability to contribute on special teams coverage. Dallas did not show off Dunbar much, but the player is a scatback who was breaking linebackers ankles in camp. Linehan will use him in space.

I didn't dislike Williams. I think he's a hard runner with a little pop to his game. But he also can't find the hole at times and gets swallowed up by the line. He's a good player, but it wasn't like he showed himself to be a world beater when he was in there. He had one outstanding run and a bunch of OK ones.

As I said I've seen Williams play in college and I know what he is capable of. Williams probably has the best vision out of all 4 RB and he is also the best at making a hard lateral cut in traffic. And he's done this against big competition in college. I wasn't sure if he still had it due to injuries but from what I've seen in preseason, he still runs the same as he did in college.

From what I've seen of Randle last year and in preseason, Randle is your average backup running back. Williams is on another level.

gimmesix

Reaction score
As I said I've seen Williams play in college and I know what he is capable of. Williams probably has the best vision out of all 4 RB and he is also the best at making a hard lateral cut in traffic. And he's done this against big completion in college. I wasn't sure if he still had it due to injuries but from what I've seen in preseason, he still runs the same as he did in college.

From what I've seen of Randle last year and in preseason, Randle is your average backup running back. Williams is on another level.

Oh, so you're basing your evaluation on having seen Williams in college. I didn't see him in college and what I saw in the preseason is a back who had a few good plays but isn't worth getting worked up about.

He did a whole lot of going nowhere except on a couple of plays where he lowered his shoulders to thwart a couple of backups.

I'm not against Williams. I just don't see the need for fervor over him. Now, if he had been shooting through holes, dancing through tackles and darting all over the field for gobs and gobs of yards, I'd be standing on the table for him too. But he didn't do that.

Zman5

Reaction score
Oh, so you're basing your evaluation on having seen Williams in college. I didn't see him in college and what I saw in the preseason is a back who had a few good plays but isn't worth getting worked up about.

He did a whole lot of going nowhere except on a couple of plays where he lowered his shoulders to thwart a couple of backups.

I'm not against Williams. I just don't see the need for fervor over him. Now, if he had been shooting through holes, dancing through tackles and darting all over the field for gobs and gobs of yards, I'd be standing on the table for him too. But he didn't do that.

Like Randle was " shooting through holes, dancing through tackles and darting all over the field for gobs and gobs of yards".
He played better than what he showed last year in the first game then all I saw was the same average RB I saw last year.

It's too bad Williams didn't get to play with the startling OL. The guy still runs hard and can cut in traffic like the best of them.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
They weren't going to ditch the fullback because they have plans to use him, just like they did with the starting offense this preseason.

It's hard for me to fathom why people didn't see that coming. We either go with four tight ends or three and a fullback, and we never had a fourth tight end that was in contention this year.

He's not all that good so if they plan on making a FB a big part of the offense then they should actually look for a guy who can fulfill those responsibilities.

Not a guy who Broaddus tagged as a "50-50 blocker" just 2 days ago. You can get that from either Hannah or hopefully Escobar by now, either of which should be on the field over a FB anyway.

If he doesn't get any better they'll have to change their plan. It's not like going without a FB would be unheard of, and if their hearts were set on a FB I still think they could have kept Williams in other ways.

Reactions: BAT

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
For as much as Garrett mentions competition, too often jobs are given away without any competition. Take Weems and McClain, neither played many snaps, if any at all, throughout camp yet both made the cut. Dunbar didn't show anything in the few plays he played, yet he was given the star treatment and sat out most pre-season games. Randle didn't show much, or at least not as much as Williams running the ball, but he was a draft pick, so he stays. You can go on and on, Parnell, Heath, Claiborne, and not one of them showed enough to make the team, yet here they are. It was a shocker that Webb was released without the obligatory 3 year grace period afforded other draft picks such as Arkin, Johnson, Stanback and Jason Williams.

Sampson

Reaction score
This thread brings to mind the old saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side".

Pabst

Reaction score
Keep Randall and Dunbar over Williams?

This team is clueless anyone that defends it isjust toeing the company line. Dunbar is a gimmick and Randall has no quickness, vision, or ability. Wow just wow.

Randall, okay, there's an argument there. But Dunbar? C'mon, man. He's a satellite player, sure, but he's can open up a game.