Twitter: Cowboys cutdown to 53 thread *Post #1 Updated* ***Merged***

Cebrin

Reaction score
Did you see Dunbar trying to block?

Dunbar won't be used in pass protection much at all. What you will see from him is very similar to what you see with how Linehan used Reggie Bush. Explosive screens and pass plays. If he can stay healthy, I believe he can be rather explosive this year. His speed burst is just insane.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Wow, some of you are getting very out of shape over some scrubs. Keep your shirts on. We could have a 80 man roster and still likely not make it out of the first round of the playoffs, boys and girls.

Craig

Reaction score
Dunbar won't be used in pass protection much at all. What you will see from him is very similar to what you see with how Linehan used Reggie Bush. Explosive screens and pass plays. If he can stay healthy, I believe he can be rather explosive this year. His speed burst is just insane.

He also had a secure spot on the team and in the regular offensive rotation. He wasnt trying out of a third string spot with the need to differentiate.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
These guys cant make a team that probably won't win 7 games and has a historically bad defense. Doesn't seem like its worth all the crying I am seeing.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And we are complaining about a guy that has managed less than 200 yards in 3 seasons because he cant get his legs healthy.

And how is that different from Dunbar's injury history?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
These guys cant make a team that probably won't win 7 games and has a historically bad defense. Doesn't seem like its worth all the crying I am seeing.

Look, it is not fair to call out the defense.

That trumps everything.

This is the kind of nitpicking that provides hope.

If we all stare at the cold harsh reality of the defense as it stands right now, well, we might as well just start looking forward to April.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Some head scratchers for sure. Not worth getting worked up over, even before the cuts this was a 6 or 7 win team at best

Zman5

Reaction score

Bush wasn't only used for screens and pass plays. You can't be a running back and only be in certain plays and be successful. You don't think opposing defenses can't figure that out?

Frozen700

Reaction score
For once, in a while I agree with all the complaining here.

We made some horrible moves

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For once, in a while I agree with all the complaining here.

We made some horrible moves

We basically went long at OT and QB, at the expense of a RB and a WR we all liked. And we'll probably add one of those guys back in Lawrence's slot if/when they clear waivers.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Bush wasn't only used for screens and pass plays. You can't be a running back and only be in certain plays and be successful. You don't think opposing defenses can't figure that out?

Bush is also the starting RB and has a better overall skill set. It wasn't entirely a comparison of overall talent as much as it was a comparison to a particular skill. A switch of pace back is a great asset and isn't usually accompanied with great pass blocking skills. You switch him in there and the mere fact that he is a threat to that short out screen etc. makes the whole defense play the ball different. So while yes, you may assume the defense figures it out, that's what makes his presence intermediately in the offensive series so valuable. The ability to make the defense second guess. Can't double team Dez if someone else out there can catch you with your pants down.

Zman5

Reaction score
Bush is also the starting RB and has a better overall skill set. It wasn't entirely a comparison of overall talent as much as it was a comparison to a particular skill. A switch of pace back is a great asset and isn't usually accompanied with great pass blocking skills. You switch him in there and the mere fact that he is a threat to that short out screen etc. makes the whole defense play the ball different. So while yes, you may assume the defense figures it out, that's what makes his presence intermediately in the offensive series so valuable. The ability to make the defense second guess. Can't double team Dez if someone else out there can catch you with your pants down.

That's my point. The reason Reggie Bush was really effective running screens and pass plays is because he runs, pass blocks, do all the things a running back would do in a game. Defense can't just key on few plays. With Dunbar, unless he runs, pass block and does all the things a running backs would do, defense will key on only the few plays.

It's no different than a WR that can only run 2 routes.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sheesh. A bunch of you guys sound like a ladies choir. We cut a few of your pet cats. Get over it. For every Danny Amendola that we cut, there's a Jamar Wall, which some of you claimed was a future star, that we cut too. Just because you become attached to a player, doesn't mean he's a future Hall of Famer. I swear, some of you would have given Mike Hamlin a long term deal based on a few practice tweets.

I agree. There's an awful lot of indignation over a couple of guys we picked up to try out after their teams didn't want them.

Did Williams and Byrd really do so much this preseason to warrant such outrage?

Me? I'm very happy that Vaughan was kept because I want to see if he develops ... but if he had been cut, I wouldn't be jumping off bridges and claiming that it's the end of the world.

Cebrin

Reaction score
That's my point. The reason Reggie Bush was really effective running screens and pass plays is because he runs, pass blocks, do all the things a running back would do in a game. Defense can't just key on few plays. With Dunbar, unless he runs, pass block and does all the things a running backs would do, defense will key on only the few plays.

It's no different than a WR that can only run 2 routes.

Again, Bush is the starter, not a "role player." You're missing the point entirely it seems. Dunbar can run and well. He's just not a great pass blocker. However, if he's not your starting RB, why should that be bothersome? Especially with this OL. He won't be sitting in pass protection often and even if he is used on screens more than runs, it still lets you fake the screen and or run and makes the defense unable to thwart all of it's attention on other play makers. I've a feeling the way that all 4 backs looked behind the starting 5 that, you could put a pee wee football RB in and still average 4 yards a carry. I'm not worried in the slightest about Williams being released. I get your point, Dunbar is not Reggie Bush. Which is why Murray is the starter. Randle is the just in case Murray goes down and Dunbar is your change of speed, decoy, what have you.

Zman5

Reaction score
Again, Bush is the starter, not a "role player." You're missing the point entirely it seems. Dunbar can run and well. He's just not a great pass blocker. However, if he's not your starting RB, why should that be bothersome? Especially with this OL. He won't be sitting in pass protection often and even if he is used on screens more than runs, it still lets you fake the screen and or run and makes the defense unable to thwart all of it's attention on other play makers. I've a feeling the way that all 4 backs looked behind the starting 5 that, you could put a pee wee football RB in and still average 4 yards a carry. I'm not worried in the slightest about Williams being released. I get your point, Dunbar is not Reggie Bush. Which is why Murray is the starter. Randle is the just in case Murray goes down and Dunbar is your change of speed, decoy, what have you.

I understand what you are saying. I just don't agree with your assessment.

Williams is more complete RB than Dunbar. People are worried about Williams' pass blocking yet he is a no worse than Dunbar. I've seen Williams play in college and from what I've seen of him in pre season, he is better RB than Randle.

Personally, I would have kept Williams over both Randle and and Dunbar.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We basically went long at OT and QB, at the expense of a RB and a WR we all liked. And we'll probably add one of those guys back in Lawrence's slot if/when they clear waivers.

It'll be interesting to see where we go with that spot. We don't need to replace him with a DL because we kept 11 (including Lawrence). Not really sure there's a need spot since Byrd would be the sixth receiver and Williams the fourth RB. Maybe an interior OL?

Just noticed we did go short at corner, so it's possibly we'll add a fifth to that group.