News: Cowboys DC Mike Nolan Fired

CWR

Reaction score
Same here. Wow........I wonder did McCarthy give his blessing.

Thats an interesting question, and more so how often does a GM get the head coaches consent to terminate a coordinator? When these HCs pick their staff there's probably a "buddy" element to their choice. How many head coaches would let those guys go so quickly? I know they are all professionals, but if this truly was big Mikes guy he may have wanted to give him another year. What Dallas has been selling us is a joint effort with everyone's input. Hopefully that is how it went down.

Bigdog

Reaction score
You think because he had his play calling taken away from him with the Giants years ago that means he's not a good coach?

How has his play calling been in New Orleans?
No I was adding to the poster position about sometimes it’s the players by adding that his play calling duties were taken away when he the OC at the Giants, then comes here and then goes on to be a SB winning HC. It goes to show that sometimes it is not the coach but the players which he was referring to. Payton is a very good play caller and I wish we hired him but we had Parcells at the time. Nolan definitely needed to be fire, IMO

phildadon86

Reaction score
It had to be done.

I was wrong about Nolan.. I thought he would do well here.. That was an absolute disaster.
On this we agreed. I thought he would make a huge difference with our linebackers. Boy was I wrong

quickccc

Reaction score
I don’t think they hire an unproven coordinator. A retread with a successful track record. You maybe right that they may hire a coach who had more recent success in today’s game.

Lewis was a successful DC two decades ago..20 years ago.
And nolan came right behind him as a
DC in Baltimore

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Nice work! Speedy snd to the point

Plankton

Reaction score
Think WE ALL know they will likely hire an experienced replacement who can hit the ground running. No time to waste.......especially for MM.

Keep an eye on Winston Moss, not as DC, but positional.

Just thought this but maybe he's bringing in Jim Haslett.......he currently the Titans LBer coach

giphy.gif

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Not a fan of this move especially if MM wanted to keep him.

This defense was getting a ton of turnovers at the end of the season, even with a clear lack of talent on that side of the ball.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My guess, Jerry and Stephen gave MM a free rope to hire Nolan and he failed. He'll have to do some serious selling on this next hire IMO.