Twitter: Cowboys DE Aldon Smith was fined $12,004 for roughing the passer

plasticman

Reaction score
The referees are performing so poorly that the league offices are overturning decisions several days later.....that's the only way this should be interpreted.

There was no indication of unsportsmanlike conduct or unnecessary roughness by the people who's job it is to make that decision. Coming behind that and fining a player becomes arbitrary and I have to question the motives of the NFL front office.

"Sometimes they miss something" is a part of the game, always has been and time tends to create balance. Front office decisions that contradict game officials creates distrust among fans and potential apathy among those game officials.

No penalty, no fine. Anybody affiliated with the game of football for a reasonable period of time could easily detect a half dozen uncalled violations in every game played.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
That exact same OPI was called two other times that day. The rule may suck but it was correctly called. Not gonna get into the whole debate. Either way, all teams get good calls and bad calls, so the whining conspiracy crap should stop.

The defense initiated the contact and it was over 5 yards. So no it's still a bad call. The refs should have not called it at all.

aria

Reaction score
The defense initiated the contact and it was over 5 yards. So no it's still a bad call. The refs should have not called it at all.
Go complain to the league, happened two other times that day and called the exact same way. I don’t agree with the rules, they suck but they called it right.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Go complain to the league, happened two other times that day and called the exact same way. I don’t agree with the rules, they suck but they called it right.

Why should I complain? That's the rules that the league put in place. The call was wrong not the rules.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

#Cowboys DE Aldon Smith was fined $12,004 for roughing the passer a blow to #Rams QB Jared Goff s head that caused an interception in Week 1. No flag was thrown. #Browns S Andrew Sendejo was fined $13,327 for his hit on #Bengals WR Tyler Boyd, drawing a flag last week." / Twitter

*W.t.F.? (Arbitrary revisionist history at its finest,,,eh?) SHEESE!:facepalm:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Disagree.

You try to take 12K away from me for incidentally hitting a guy's HELMET (let's be honest, that hurt Aldon more than it hurt Goff) and we will be fighting.

It's a stupid rule in general. Yes, I get protecting the QB, but that hit is going to do nothing to Goff long-term. They need to flag it, just to keep defenders honest, but that shouldn't be a fine. A fine should be something more violent than that hit.

They fine guys for that all the time though. That’s what I’m saying. It’s a fair fine given the rules and how they fine others for the same thing.

that’s just the reality of the NFL

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Says no one but Cowboys fans.

Say what you want. The call was blown. Just look at today's game against Seattle. The calls are being called against the defense even for incidental contact the defense.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The referees are performing so poorly that the league offices are overturning decisions several days later.....that's the only way this should be interpreted.

There was no indication of unsportsmanlike conduct or unnecessary roughness by the people who's job it is to make that decision. Coming behind that and fining a player becomes arbitrary and I have to question the motives of the NFL front office.

"Sometimes they miss something" is a part of the game, always has been and time tends to create balance. Front office decisions that contradict game officials creates distrust among fans and potential apathy among those game officials.

No penalty, no fine. Anybody affiliated with the game of football for a reasonable period of time could easily detect a half dozen uncalled violations in every game played.

The Rams also got cheated. Just like we were cheated in getting the completion with Gallup.