RELEASED Cowboys decline option on Terrance Williams

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Except, I don't think we had an option on him? I think he just had no guaranteed money left, making the last two years essentially team options.

Or, I'm reading the reported contract wrong.

Overthecap says we have an option for the final year of his contract, which was 2020. So, still weird. I'd think we have to cut him this year, but "not picking up the option", if it applied to an option for 2019, might keep a comp pick in play.

Having a player under contract is in effect an option, if it isn't guaranteed. But declining a literal option may keeps compensation in play compared to cutting them. That's a loophole the NFL should close, if it exists.

This would make two WRs we had "options" on this year. Williams and Hurd. Working that loophole?

Any experts on contracts on the difference between not picking up an option for a non-guaranteed contract versus cutting a player on a non-guaranteed contract, assuming the player was under contract the previous year?

Nav22

Reaction score
Average WR but had some great moments as a Cowboy.

Game-winning TD to beat the Lions in the playoffs, Romo’s 2nd and final playoff win (2014 season).

Romo’s final NFL pass and TD pass, 2016 Week 17 at Philly.

Ridiculous catch on the sidelines to keep the game-winning drive going at Seattle in 2014.

Probably a couple others I’m forgetting too.

conner01

Reaction score
No big shock here
Seemed like a given
I liked him but with cooper and Gallup his services are no longer needed
Wouldn’t surprise me if 2-3 more WR’s don’t come back
I could see Beasley, Austin and Hurns all gone

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
He was never a good everydown wr from the day he got here because he wasnt consistent at anything besides blocking. Why was his contract extended in the first place? You could see he didnt have elite footwork or separation and he couldnt go up and get a ball or hit the scoring benchmarks. Just another slot wr with a 4 td a year ceiling. He had the 1 fluke 8 td season in 2014 but he shouldve been yanked at the end of the 2015 season when he turned back into a 4td a year pumpkin and started his decline. Thats all on Jerrah. He shoulda traded to get a better #2 or te when dez was still in his prime. We may have gotten 2 superbowls with Romo.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
He was a great cornerback and lasted longer than I expected in Cincinnati.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
They drafted him to be the Alvin Harper for Dez and he played the role well during the few years with Romo. But his effectiveness was all dependent on Dez being elite and when Dez started to decline, Williams started looking like Harper in Tampa.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F1f5b334997b7fb90fdca54c7d669f187%2F204886164%2FC3lYYgeUkAA3m6m.jpg

erod

Reaction score
Merely a product of #9, just like Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, and Patrick Crayton. Owes his financial good fortune entirely to Romo.

Otherwise, just a guy.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I spent 6 months in deep Mexico (Leon), years ago before the cartel stuff went out of control, and the family that, thankfully, took me in (because I just showed up there with no plan and $200 in my pocket) had a big ol' van with no regular seats. It's floor was made of plywood and lawn chairs, exactly like those in that picture. And only one was bolted down.

Freaking scary. Especially because that town is in a valley and it takes a drive through a tiny "two lane" road up and down the side of mountains with no rails. And you can see crashed cars and buses down the cliff you're bouncing around like a pinball on.

Sorry! That pic just aroused a memory.