Twitter: Cowboys dominated the 2014 draft

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sad part is I think Hitchens will walk in FA, hopefully the Cowboys will recoup a 4th round pick or so down the line.

There’s no point in having a sign your own policy if you let players like Hitchens walk. We spend too few resources on defense as it is. If you’re not signing legitimate FAs, there’s no way to build a team going that route.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
There’s no point in having a sign your own policy if you let players like Hitchens walk. We spend too few resources on defense as it is. If you’re not signing legitimate FAs, there’s no way to build a team going that route.

You can thank the dumb contracts handed out to players like Tyrone Crawford for not being able to keep guys like Hitchens in the fold.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You can thank the dumb contracts handed out to players like Tyrone Crawford for not being able to keep guys like Hitchens in the fold.
So much wrong with this

TCrawford is a better player than Hitches on his worst day...... Htichens is a backup 2 down LBer

LBers that can't cover are easily replaced just as Hitchens will be....Hitchens doesn't even play more than 50% of snaps

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If they're going to not engage FAs, then they need to keep their own. The whole idea is you end up with fewer bad contracts when you do that, since you know the guy well and have already seen him in your system.

Every team has contracts like Crawfords. They're offset by value deals like Tyron Smiths or by the high number of young players you've got on your roster when you committed to building through the draft.

We're not going to lose Hitchens because of Crawford. If we do lose him, though, we have to rely on finding a better deal on a player of equal or better value on the market. That means beating the market. It's possible to do that here and there, but you can't bank on building championship teams that way.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
So much wrong with this

TCrawford is a better player than Hitches on his worst day...... Htichens is a backup 2 down LBer

LBers that can't cover are easily replaced just as Hitchens will be....Hitchens doesn't even play more than 50% of snaps

Jaylon Smith with a year of experience under his belt will quickly make people forget about this soon-to-be-overpaid JAG.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith with a year of experience under his belt will quickly make people forget about this soon-to-be-overpaid JAG.
People want to pay Hitchens 10m a year, draft Roquan Smith and a MIKE later

We have SLee- JSmith- DWilson as starters
We need some depth and youth but it is not a huge issue.... we have other needs

btcutter

Reaction score
Martin...speaks for himself. A+
Lawrence really only gave us one good year out of 4 due to injuries and suspensions. B
Hitchens. For a 4th rounder you can't ask for much more. A

Other 6 picks from rounds 4-7 aren't even on NFL rosters.... F.

Overall I think draft grade is a B. It could become better if Lawrence can sustain his production from this past season. We needed more from rounds 4-7...even if just good core special team players or good backups.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People want to pay Hitchens 10m a year, draft Roquan Smith and a MIKE later

We have SLee- JSmith- DWilson as starters
We need some depth and youth but it is not a huge issue.... we have other needs
I love Jaylon Smith’s heart and character, but I’m not convinced he’s what he once was or what he was drafted to be. He had a few moments last year, but he was a liability in coverage. Can he improve this year? I guess so if his leg is still capable of getting better.

Sean Lee is greatness, but his fragility is a problem.

All that to say, the Cowboys better be looking at drafting a LB early.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I love Jaylon Smith’s heart and character, but I’m not convinced he’s what he once was or what he was drafted to be. He had a few moments last year, but he was a liability in coverage. Can he improve this year? I guess so if his leg is still capable of getting better.

Sean Lee is greatness, but his fragility is a problem.

All that to say, the Cowboys better be looking at drafting a LB early.
JSmith is a star in the making
SLee is a star
Sign a cheap vet for insurance.... they are a dime a dozen
Draft a LB or 2 but don't reach or panic....... there are good ones in 1-5........ 4 might go in the 1st

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1(16) Zack Martin G Notre Dame - Stud.
2(34) DeMarcus Lawrence DE Boise St. - 1 dominant year, 1 solid year, 2 invisible years.
4(119) Anthony Hitchens LB Iowa - A backup talent on a terrible defense.
5(146) Devin Street WR Pittsburgh - Bum.
7(231) Ben Gardner DE Stanford - Couldn't play.
7(238) Will Smith LB Texas Tech - Camp body.
7(248) Ahmad Dixon S Baylor - Couldn't stick.
7(251) Ken Bishop DT Northern Illinois - Stiff.
7(254) Terrance Mitchell CB Oregon - Cut. Turned into a player for the Chiefs.

Domination.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JSmith is a star in the making
SLee is a star
Sign a cheap vet for insurance.... they are a dime a dozen
Draft a LB or 2 but don't reach or panic....... there are good ones in 1-5........ 4 might go in the 1st
Sean Lee is star talent for sure, but he’s also only played 1 full season the 8 seasons he’s played here. If you cannot count a player to be there, their value drops. Again, great talent, but injury prone. That’s why IMO, this team needs to draft a LB early who can potentially start.

I hope Jaylon Smith is a star in the making, but I also believe in the old football adage, “hope is not a strategy”.

And good backup veteran LBs are hardly a dime a dozen. Sure there are lots of FA LBs available, but that doesn’t mean they are capable of being a good backup.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Kind of sucks that Hitchens and Lawrence only turned it on in the last year of their rookie deals, but yeah, that is 3 major hits. It's hard to ***** about landing 2 All-Pros with your first 2 picks.