Cowboys Done With Irving

Carson

Reaction score
So with Irving and Williams gone, is this a move by the FO to clean things up or is it just a sensible move to let these two go particularly? I'd like to think it was a shift towards a zero tolerance policy for player misconduct.

I think it was more, they are no longer needed / worth the headache.

Irving is well, Irving

Williams seemed to be in more trouble than catches or games played. Keep in mind, Gallup emerged as a solid 2 and on a rookie contract compared to Williams contract

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Team should be asking the league why he wasn't suspended for missed drug tests. Had they done so, we would have had several weeks of salary back.

John813

Reaction score
I think it was more, they are no longer needed / worth the headache.

Irving is well, Irving

Williams seemed to be in more trouble than catches or games played. Keep in mind, Gallup emerged as a solid 2 and on a rookie contract compared to Williams contract

Yup. Cowboys had very little to lose to hope that Irving could/would return last year. He didn't, oh well. Now, as an UFA and seeing that he never came back the option of not re-signing him/letting him go is that much easier. Especially if he did fail drug tests by going MIA or actually failing them.

Williams just lost his role with the team with Cooper coming in as the #1 and Gallup showing signs of being a better #2. Add in guys like Noah Brown that the team is high on, it just made since to move on.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I saw a recent article comparing and contrasting David Irving with Randy Gregory. Unfortunately, I can't find the link.

Other than shared substance abuse issues and playing for the Cowboys, I see their situations as quite different. I had a sense that Gregory really wanted to make changes. I never really got that feeling from Irving.

Admittedly, I am filtering my view on my own biases and what I have read through the media. I understand, that is not the most reliable approach. Nonetheless, you really hate to see anyone waste their life, their opportunities as Irving apparently has.

Sydla

Reaction score
The guy had multiple chances. And unlike Gregory, apparently didn't care enough to put in the effort to try to get better and over his issues.

It should not be a surprise, nor should anyone be upset at the organization, over this. This is 100% on Irving.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Future All pro for the Patriots
The pats rarely pick up guys that can’t stay on the field. Sure they pick up guys that can be a head case, like Randy Moss, who was difficult at times but reliable. And Moss was healthy and not suspended for substances.

The pats have little patience for guys who either can’t stay healthy or can’t stay out of league suspension. Josh Gordon is an example in his short stint in NE. Talented but can’t stay on the field. He left the pats in Dec. and they won another ring without him.

Fans here have become so desperate for talent we put up with guys like Irving who show flashes of brilliance less often than being on the field. Irving only played in 37 games in the nearly 4 years he was here. He missed 22 games the last two years. One of the most important “abilities” an NFL player must have is reliability.

David Irving is long overdue to receive his walking papers.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Irving is done in the NFl... no team going to pick him up, and if they do, how many games does anyone think his butt will even show up to... good riddance.

LittleD

Reaction score
The team had to let Irving go. He is going to be sitting for mucho games next season for his drug exploits.
No need to pay out money to a drugie who really has no interest in playing football.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Such a shame. I really wanted this guy to be here with Lawrence, play 16 games a year with no off the field issues. A right Irving and Lawrence could've been great, especially if we ever got a real DT.

gambit187

Reaction score
Got a 2019 3rd pick and 2020 4th round pick for him on Madden...Good Riddance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would hope so. I give it to him he is a talented player but this deal of missing 4 games each of the past 2 years only to miss even more time because of injury has gotten old. I will gladly take someone who can be counted on.